Local Users in Computer Management

June 6, 2005 12:18:01 AM

For some reason, I am not able to log on with the Administrator account on my
computer (returns message indicating restriction on account). When I go to
the Computer Management app, there is no Local users and Groups entry in the
tree.

What can I do to enable the Administrator Account?
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:50:11 AM

"Puzzled_User" <Puzzled_User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason, I am not able to log on with the Administrator account on
> my
> computer (returns message indicating restriction on account). When I go to
> the Computer Management app, there is no Local users and Groups entry in
> the
> tree.
>
> What can I do to enable the Administrator Account?

In Windows XP Home Edition, the built-in account called "Administrator" can
only be used while booted into Safe Mode. An attempt when not in Safe Mode
will get the eorr message about a restriction.

Also in XP Home, there is no "local users and groups" in Computer
Management. User Management is done only through the control panel
applets, and is basically limited to creating "computer administrators" or
"limited users." More advanced user administration is available in XP Pro
only.

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

'Colin Nash [MVP Wrote:
> ']"Puzzled_User" Puzzled_User@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in
> message
> For some reason, I am not able to log on with the Administrator
> account on
> my
> computer (returns message indicating restriction on account). When I
> go to
> the Computer Management app, there is no Local users and Groups entry
> in
> the
> tree.
>
> What can I do to enable the Administrator Account?-
>
> In Windows XP Home Edition, the built-in account called "Administrator"
> can
> only be used while booted into Safe Mode. An attempt when not in Safe
> Mode
> will get the eorr message about a restriction.
>
> Also in XP Home, there is no "local users and groups" in Computer
> Management. User Management is done only through the control panel
> applets, and is basically limited to creating "computer administrators"
> or
> "limited users." More advanced user administration is available in XP
> Pro
> only.
>

> --
> Colin Nash
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

I lost my administrator's logon account on startup. who do I reset this
to my pc. I have XP pro, but the only account is a limited acct and it
doesn't allow me to change it to an administrator acct. This was my
fault as I accidently removed the adm acct. by giving the limited acct
adm rights to download a large file. Then when I went back and changed
the limited back to "limited" the adm acct was gone. Now I can't do
anything because all changes require adm rights. What can I do?

--
Clark Jeffries
Anonymous

Clark Jeffries wrote:

> I lost my administrator's logon account on startup. who do I reset this
> to my pc. I have XP pro, but the only account is a limited acct and it
> doesn't allow me to change it to an administrator acct. This was my
> fault as I accidently removed the adm acct. by giving the limited acct
> adm rights to download a large file. Then when I went back and changed
> the limited back to "limited" the adm acct was gone. Now I can't do
> anything because all changes require adm rights. What can I do?
Hi,

Log on with the builtin Administrator user:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321305

If you have a password issue, you might try to reset the local
Administrator password with one of the methods mentioned here
(you might need to create the boot cd/floppy on another computer):

http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: