Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Radeon card shows up twice

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 28, 2005 11:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows up
twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600 Series
and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.

Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI bus
1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and uninstall if
any?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

More about : radeon card shows

January 28, 2005 11:46:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p erKd.934$m22.138@read1.cgocable.net...
> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows
> up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
> Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>
> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
> you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
> shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
> bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
> uninstall if any?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Both of those "problems" are perfectly normal. The Secondary adapter is for
the tv-out or alternate monitor mode feature of the card. PCI Bus 1 is
correct as well.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:05:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Mike,

The device "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary" is the logical device that
handles the second head of the Radeon card. Despite what JT said, this has
nothing to do with TV-Out. TV-out functionality is provided through
completely different silicon and circuitry and has nothing to do with the
second head of the video card.

In short, as long as you aren't doing "Dual Monitors" you can safely disable
the "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary" adapter. Personally, this is what I do,
since I like to keep a minimalistic configuration, and I use a single
monitor (and the TV-out) on my 9800 Pro.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com
tony.dimarzio@comcast.net


"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p erKd.934$m22.138@read1.cgocable.net...
> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows
> up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
> Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>
> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
> you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
> shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
> bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
> uninstall if any?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike
>
Related resources
January 28, 2005 4:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just what I wanted to hear. Wasn't 100%
sure because I just took out my old PCI video card and put this one in, so
wanted to double check.

Mike

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:m-adnQ2ZUolSyWfcRVn-sA@comcast.com...
> Mike,
>
> The device "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary" is the logical device that
> handles the second head of the Radeon card. Despite what JT said, this has
> nothing to do with TV-Out. TV-out functionality is provided through
> completely different silicon and circuitry and has nothing to do with the
> second head of the video card.
>
> In short, as long as you aren't doing "Dual Monitors" you can safely
> disable the "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary" adapter. Personally, this is
> what I do, since I like to keep a minimalistic configuration, and I use a
> single monitor (and the TV-out) on my 9800 Pro.
>
> --
> Tony DiMarzio
> djtone81@hotmail.com
> tony.dimarzio@comcast.net
>
>
> "Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p erKd.934$m22.138@read1.cgocable.net...
>> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows
>> up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
>> Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>>
>> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
>> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
>> you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
>> shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
>> bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
>> uninstall if any?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mike
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:09:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just what I wanted to hear.
Wasn't 100%
> sure because I just took out my old PCI video card and put this one
in, so
> wanted to double check.
>
> Mike
>
[snip]
>>>When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it
shows
>>>up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
>>>Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>>>
>>>Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
>>>Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
when
>>>you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second
entry
>>>shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
>>>bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
>>>uninstall if any?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Mike
>>>

A better choice, if you have another monitor, is to plug it in.
Two heads are definitely better than one.

-Rich
January 29, 2005 2:09:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Richard Pennington wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just what I wanted to hear.
> Wasn't 100%
> > sure because I just took out my old PCI video card and put this one
> in, so
> > wanted to double check.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> [snip]
> >>>When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it
> shows
> >>>up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
> >>>Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
> >>>
> >>>Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
> >>>Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
> when
> >>>you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second
> entry
> >>>shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
> >>>bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
> >>>uninstall if any?
> >>>
> >>>Thanks in advance,
> >>>Mike
> >>>
>
> A better choice, if you have another monitor, is to plug it in.
> Two heads are definitely better than one.
>
> -Rich

I could never go back to a single monitor now...


--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it
> shows up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as
> Radeon 9600 Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.

Yes. You have a Dual Head card.

> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the
> card?

If you remove it, it'll come back. If you disable it, you'll be fine, but I
see no need.

> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0,
> function 0 when you right-click on it and go to Properties and
> General?

Thats the first head.

> The second entry shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function
> 1.

Yep - same device, secnd head.

> Why does it show up as PCI bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which

Because AGP is basically the same as PCI.

> one should I safely click and uninstall if any?


The one you're not using, which is most likely to be the secondary. But as
I say, disable is better than remove, although I leave them both enabled.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...