Radeon card shows up twice

Mike

Splendid

When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows up
twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600 Series
and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.

Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI bus
1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and uninstall if
any?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

jt

"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows
> up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
> Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>
> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
> you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
> shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
> bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
> uninstall if any?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Both of those "problems" are perfectly normal. The Secondary adapter is for
the tv-out or alternate monitor mode feature of the card. PCI Bus 1 is
correct as well.

Mike,

The device "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary" is the logical device that
handles the second head of the Radeon card. Despite what JT said, this has
nothing to do with TV-Out. TV-out functionality is provided through
completely different silicon and circuitry and has nothing to do with the
second head of the video card.

In short, as long as you aren't doing "Dual Monitors" you can safely disable
the "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary" adapter. Personally, this is what I do,
since I like to keep a minimalistic configuration, and I use a single
monitor (and the TV-out) on my 9800 Pro.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it shows
> up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
> Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>
> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 when
> you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second entry
> shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
> bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
> uninstall if any?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just what I wanted to hear. Wasn't 100%
sure because I just took out my old PCI video card and put this one in, so
wanted to double check.

Mike

Mike wrote:
> Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just what I wanted to hear.
Wasn't 100%
> sure because I just took out my old PCI video card and put this one
in, so
> wanted to double check.
>
> Mike

[snip]
>>>When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it
shows
>>>up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as Radeon 9600
>>>Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.
>>>
>>>Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the card?
>>>Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
when
>>>you right-click on it and go to Properties and General? The second
entry
>>>shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Why does it show up as PCI
>>>bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which one should I safely click and
>>>uninstall if any?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Mike

A better choice, if you have another monitor, is to plug it in.
Two heads are definitely better than one.

-Rich

shawk

Richard Pennington wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just what I wanted to hear.
> Wasn't 100%
> > sure because I just took out my old PCI video card and put this one
> in, so
> > wanted to double check.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> [snip]
> shows

> when
> entry

> A better choice, if you have another monitor, is to plug it in.
> Two heads are definitely better than one.
>
> -Rich

I could never go back to a single monitor now...

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mike wrote:
> When I installed my ATI Radeon 9600XT last week, I noticed that it
> shows up twice under Display adapters in Device Manager. Once as
> Radeon 9600 Series and again as Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary.

Yes. You have a Dual Head card.

> Can I safely delete one of these without totally uninstalling the
> card?

If you remove it, it'll come back. If you disable it, you'll be fine, but I
see no need.

> Also, should the Location show up as PCI bus 1, device 0,
> function 0 when you right-click on it and go to Properties and
> General?

Thats the first head.

> The second entry shows it as PCI bus 1, device 0, function
> 1.

Yep - same device, secnd head.

> Why does it show up as PCI bus 1 if it is an AGP card and which

Because AGP is basically the same as PCI.

> one should I safely click and uninstall if any?

The one you're not using, which is most likely to be the secondary. But as
I say, disable is better than remove, although I leave them both enabled.

Ben