Ebay Accessory Kits: Worth it?

I have recently purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000 and love it. About an hour
ago, I was on Ebay and found a number of vendors selling these
multi-accessory kits for my S5000 (as well as kits for other cams). These
kits seem to generally run $100-130 and include small and large tripods, 3
filters, Wide and Telephoto lenses, adapter ring, lens cleaning kit and
small/large carrying case.

All this seems to good to be true, considering OEM prices for lenses alone.
And its the lenses that I'm wondering about the most, the brands that show
up in these kits are "Digital Optics" and "Opteka".

I am totally new to digital photography; could someone let me know if these
are good deals or to be avoided??

Thanks...Al

Ron

"kreb" <kreb@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I am getting the S7000 (when I get all my questions answered) as I need
> manual focussing and flash attachments, I bought the tele photo lens
mainly
> for my, to buy, S7000 as it only has 6 power.

I just bought the S7000 and am learning the features and how to use them. So
far, even I haven't been able to mess up too badly.

You say that you want manual focussing, it has it and also a hot shoe for
external flash.

What are some of the other questions that you have?
--
Ron

Life is GIGO : Good in Good Out
Garbage in Garbage Out

As they say - 'It all depends'. I have a Minolta Dimage A1
for which the UK prices of accessories are very high, roughly
double the US prices. I 'lurked' for a long time at DPReview,
listened to happy and disappointed users of extra batteries,
long lens multipliers, etc and found several users who had
been able to make comparisons between different brands.
Finally I bought a supplementary battery unit - roughly
double the rating and half the price = $50-> $20 = OK.
Likewise with the multiplier.
Do your homework first, check brand names, double
check other user reports and experiences, then buy from
'high-rated' Ebay sellers - more than 1 or 2 years selling
and more than a hundred sales. Look hard at feedback,
although I got 'taken' by one vendor with a 500-item
sales record and less than a 0.5% complaint rate. Ebay -
Bless 'Em - refunded the loss, because I had kept full
records of all E-mails between us and records of money too.
You can buy good stuff on Ebay. Just be careful.
Cheers,
RoJ

NoWay

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001

> I have recently purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000 and love it. About an hour
> ago, I was on Ebay and found a number of vendors selling these
> multi-accessory kits for my S5000 (as well as kits for other cams). These
> kits seem to generally run $100-130 and include small and large tripods, 3
> filters, Wide and Telephoto lenses, adapter ring, lens cleaning kit and
> small/large carrying case.

I haven't seen a good deal for anything on ebay yet.

I have seen good deals but only on uncommon items where nobody else thinks
of them or wants them.

Used items are usually pretty good for price.

The dealers amke fortunes on their stuff. Way more than store people would
pay and then jack up the shipping.