Can't Install Recovery Console

When trying to install the recovery console (winnt32.exe) I always get an
error message saying that it is out of date. The OEM WIndows CD of course is
older than the SP@ updates I installed since I purchASED THE COMPUTER. hOW
CAN i INSTALL WINNT32 with SP2 updates installed?
--
phil n k
2 answers Last reply

    Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed,
    then install the Recovery Console.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed,
    > then install the Recovery Console.
    >
    > Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    > (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
    >
    > Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    > http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    >
    > or
    >
    > AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    > http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    >
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    This method only works if the user has either an original Windows
    XP CD or a local share (the CD copied to a folder on the PC) and
    a CD burner. A huge chunk of PC owners only have recovery disks
    provided by the OEM vendor. For these users as well as those who
    don't care to slipstream there is a solution. One merely
    extracts the new version of winnt32.exe from the SP2 executable
    file, replaces the old version with the new one (keep a copy of
    the old one) and runs the console command using that exec.

    Complete instructions on how to do this are at:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaqnojs.htm#21
    When you get to Michael's page, page down until you see the line
    that says "Work around compliments of "Jon" from the msnews
    newsgroups." Follow the instructions there. They work!
    You won't have to download the network version of the SP2 upgrade
    file if you 1. Have the Microsoft SP2 CD Upgrade disk or 2. You
    downloaded the SP2 upgrade and still have it. If you have the
    Microsoft disk you will need to substitute the name of the exe
    file on the disk for the name provided in the instructions. The
    instructions use the downloaded file, not the disk.

Microsoft Recovery Console Windows XP