8ms 19in LCD

Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an ATI
AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be others
with sub-16ms response times.

It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of spending
nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.

--

/mel/
17 answers Last reply

    "/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
    > ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
    > others with sub-16ms response times.
    >
    > It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    > spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
    >
    > --
    >
    > /mel/

    Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
    @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
    far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
    www.ebuyer.co.uk.

    Previous screen Philips 109B4 19" CRT.

    Will run both screens for a while, but will probably end up using just the
    LCD.

    Pea

    How is the resolution downscaling quality? On my 19" CRT I run at 1024x768
    desktop resolution; anything higher and the text becomes too small for my
    eyes.

    "Pea" <mtber999@hotmail.c0m> wrote in message
    > Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
    > @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
    > far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
    > www.ebuyer.co.uk.
    >
    > Previous screen Philips 109B4 19" CRT.
    >
    > Will run both screens for a while, but will probably end up using just the
    > LCD.
    >
    > Pea

    "Pea" <mtber999@hotmail.c0m> wrote in message

    > "/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
    >> ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
    >> others with sub-16ms response times.
    >>
    >> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    >> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> /mel/
    >>

    > Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
    > @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
    > far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
    > www.ebuyer.co.uk.
    >
    > Previous screen Philips 109B4 19" CRT.
    >
    > Will run both screens for a while, but will probably end up using just the
    > LCD.
    >
    > Pea

    ATI 9800 Pro (not AIW)
    Pea

    Sony is also now producing an 8 msec Response Time,with double the
    brightness level of other LCD's. Check the Sony site.

    --
    DaveW

    Pea wrote:

    > "/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up
    >> to an ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though
    >> there may be others with sub-16ms response times.
    >>
    >> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    >> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
    >
    > Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x
    > 1024 @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground
    > on it so far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery)
    > from www.ebuyer.co.uk.

    Hmmmm. That's a lot cheaper (though I won't buy from Ebuyer again). One
    problem I have is that often retailers don't specify the response time.

    --

    /mel/

    I too just bought the LG 1915s TFT and I am very happy indeed with the
    performace of it.
    I am using it with my 9800pro and I am pleased with the colour reproduction
    and zero ghosting in all the games that I have played.

    You can buy this for around £251 from Microdirect

    www.microdirect.co.uk

    --
    Best wishes

    Morgan

    Hard drive noisy...?
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    "/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
    > ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
    > others with sub-16ms response times.
    >
    > It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    > spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
    >
    > --
    >
    > /mel/

    Anyone recommend a good 19" LCD suitable for gaming that includes a DVI
    connector?

    Try the BenQ FP937s 19" LCD. It is one of the lower priced displays around and sports a
    12ms response time. I have one and it is excellent, with both an analogue and DVI input.
    Also comes with a DVI cable :)
    --
    Todd

    I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely be 75Hz
    at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at 1280*1024.

    "Pea" <mtber999@hotmail.c0m> wrote in message

    SNIP

    > Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
    > @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
    > far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
    > www.ebuyer.co.uk.

    SNIP

    Piers James wrote:

    > I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely be
    > 75Hz at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at 1280*1024.

    According to LG it can run 60 or 75. They don't say which is "native"
    though.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "Piers James" <fred@fred.com> wrote in message
    >I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely be
    >75Hz at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at 1280*1024.

    Depends on the manufacturer, I guess. A relative of mine, for example, has
    an NEC 1765NX (I believe) and NEC actually says that your refresh rate
    should be set to 60Hz regardless of what resolution you're in. It's a 16ms
    display, FWIW.

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > Piers James wrote:
    >
    >> I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely
    >> be 75Hz at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at
    >> 1280*1024.
    >
    > According to LG it can run 60 or 75. They don't say which is "native"
    > though.

    It may differ according to the interface being used - that's certainly the
    case for the Hyundai I was/am looking at.

    --

    /mel/

    >I too just bought the LG 1915s TFT and I am very happy indeed with the
    > performace of it.
    > I am using it with my 9800pro and I am pleased with the colour
    > reproduction and zero ghosting in all the games that I have played.
    >
    > You can buy this for around £251 from Microdirect
    >
    > www.microdirect.co.uk

    I also bought one of these from Micro Direct and it went faulty after 32
    days (Yellow line right down the screen). They would not replace it as they
    state that they are not liable after 30 days. In the end I have had to
    accept a refurbished model direct from LG as a replacement (coming Monday).

    Beware of whom you purchase goods from and in particular their after sales
    policy.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
    news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
    > Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an ATI
    > AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be others
    > with sub-16ms response times.
    >
    > It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of spending
    > nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.

    Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real rate
    is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100% change
    (black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial changes.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Andrew Rossmann wrote:
    > In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
    > news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
    >> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up
    >> to an ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though
    >> there may be others with sub-16ms response times.
    >>
    >> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    >> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
    >
    > Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real
    > rate is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100%
    > change (black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial
    > changes.
    >
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

    Yeah, the more I read the more I think that I need to physically sit in
    front of what I'm considering buying before actually buying the thing.

    --
    /mel/
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
    In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
    news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
    > Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
    > ATI
    > AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be others
    > with sub-16ms response times.
    >
    > It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    > spending
    > nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.

    Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real rate
    is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100% change
    (black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial changes.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Huh?

    I thought response time was time it takes for white pixel to turn black,
    which is worse case. Any other color is less intense than white and not
    absence of color like black, so it should be better.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Steve Mellor wrote:
    > Andrew Rossmann wrote:
    >
    >>In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
    >>news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
    >>
    >>>Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up
    >>>to an ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though
    >>>there may be others with sub-16ms response times.
    >>>
    >>>It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
    >>>spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
    >>
    >> Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real
    >>rate is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100%
    >>change (black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial
    >>changes.
    >>
    >>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html
    >

    > Yeah, the more I read the more I think that I need to physically sit in
    > front of what I'm considering buying before actually buying the thing.

    You bet. I bought a huge 16ms panel, as most reviews were enthousiastic
    about it and said the responsiveness was excellent. I found it to be a
    lot less than excellent, and returned it. In retrospect, it was
    Tomshardware that warned me for this. Although I disagree with a lot on
    their pages, the stuff about LCD's is very good imho.

    I keep track of toms reviews on responserate for LCD's and let them
    guide me to a new panel in the (near) future. But for sure will I check
    the panel out before buying it, or make sure I can return the panel
    again for a full refund.

Radeon LCD ATI Graphics