8ms 19in LCD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2005 2:28:50 PM

Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an ATI
AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be others
with sub-16ms response times.

It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of spending
nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.

--

/mel/

More about : 8ms 19in lcd

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:07:57 PM

"/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
> ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
> others with sub-16ms response times.
>
> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>
> --
>
> /mel/

Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
@60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
www.ebuyer.co.uk.

Previous screen Philips 109B4 19" CRT.

Will run both screens for a while, but will probably end up using just the
LCD.

Pea
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:07:58 PM

How is the resolution downscaling quality? On my 19" CRT I run at 1024x768
desktop resolution; anything higher and the text becomes too small for my
eyes.

"Pea" <mtber999@hotmail.c0m> wrote in message
> Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
> @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
> far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
> www.ebuyer.co.uk.
>
> Previous screen Philips 109B4 19" CRT.
>
> Will run both screens for a while, but will probably end up using just the
> LCD.
>
> Pea

January 29, 2005 7:17:49 PM

"Pea" <mtber999@hotmail.c0m> wrote in message

> "/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
>> ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
>> others with sub-16ms response times.
>>
>> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
>> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>>
>> --
>>
>> /mel/
>>

> Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
> @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
> far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
> www.ebuyer.co.uk.
>
> Previous screen Philips 109B4 19" CRT.
>
> Will run both screens for a while, but will probably end up using just the
> LCD.
>
> Pea

ATI 9800 Pro (not AIW)
Pea
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:42:33 PM

Sony is also now producing an 8 msec Response Time,with double the
brightness level of other LCD's. Check the Sony site.

--
DaveW

"/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
> ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
> others with sub-16ms response times.
>
> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>
> --
>
> /mel/

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:49:41 PM

Pea wrote:

> "/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up
>> to an ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though
>> there may be others with sub-16ms response times.
>>
>> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
>> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>
> Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x
> 1024 @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground
> on it so far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery)
> from www.ebuyer.co.uk.

Hmmmm. That's a lot cheaper (though I won't buy from Ebuyer again). One
problem I have is that often retailers don't specify the response time.

--

/mel/
January 29, 2005 7:56:45 PM

I too just bought the LG 1915s TFT and I am very happy indeed with the
performace of it.
I am using it with my 9800pro and I am pleased with the colour reproduction
and zero ghosting in all the games that I have played.

You can buy this for around £251 from Microdirect

www.microdirect.co.uk

--
Best wishes

Morgan

Hard drive noisy...?
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:38:30 PM

"/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
> ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be
> others with sub-16ms response times.
>
> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>
> --
>
> /mel/

Anyone recommend a good 19" LCD suitable for gaming that includes a DVI
connector?
January 30, 2005 3:39:02 PM

Try the BenQ FP937s 19" LCD. It is one of the lower priced displays around and sports a
12ms response time. I have one and it is excellent, with both an analogue and DVI input.
Also comes with a DVI cable :)
--
Todd
Anonymous

I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely be 75Hz
at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at 1280*1024.

"Pea" <mtber999@hotmail.c0m> wrote in message

SNIP

> Just bought (3 days ago) an LG Flatron 1915S 19" screen 12ms 1280 x 1024
> @60Hz native resolution, only played Need For Speed Underground on it so
> far, no complaints. £263.04 (inc vat & standard delivery) from
> www.ebuyer.co.uk.

SNIP
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:15:41 PM

Piers James wrote:

> I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely be
> 75Hz at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at 1280*1024.

According to LG it can run 60 or 75. They don't say which is "native"
though.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Piers James" <fred@fred.com> wrote in message
>I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely be
>75Hz at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at 1280*1024.

Depends on the manufacturer, I guess. A relative of mine, for example, has
an NEC 1765NX (I believe) and NEC actually says that your refresh rate
should be set to 60Hz regardless of what resolution you're in. It's a 16ms
display, FWIW.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 7:18:16 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
> Piers James wrote:
>
>> I really hope your native resolution is NOT 60Hz!!! It should surely
>> be 75Hz at that resolution. My pair of LG1715S TFTs run at 75 at
>> 1280*1024.
>
> According to LG it can run 60 or 75. They don't say which is "native"
> though.

It may differ according to the interface being used - that's certainly the
case for the Hyundai I was/am looking at.

--

/mel/
Anonymous

>I too just bought the LG 1915s TFT and I am very happy indeed with the
> performace of it.
> I am using it with my 9800pro and I am pleased with the colour
> reproduction and zero ghosting in all the games that I have played.
>
> You can buy this for around £251 from Microdirect
>
> www.microdirect.co.uk

I also bought one of these from Micro Direct and it went faulty after 32
days (Yellow line right down the screen). They would not replace it as they
state that they are not liable after 30 days. In the end I have had to
accept a refurbished model direct from LG as a replacement (coming Monday).

Beware of whom you purchase goods from and in particular their after sales
policy.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:53:51 AM

In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an ATI
> AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be others
> with sub-16ms response times.
>
> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of spending
> nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.

Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real rate
is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100% change
(black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial changes.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:23:10 PM

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
> In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
> news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
>> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up
>> to an ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though
>> there may be others with sub-16ms response times.
>>
>> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
>> spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>
> Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real
> rate is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100%
> change (black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial
> changes.
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

Yeah, the more I read the more I think that I need to physically sit in
front of what I'm considering buying before actually buying the thing.

--
/mel/
Anonymous

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
> Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up to an
> ATI
> AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though there may be others
> with sub-16ms response times.
>
> It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
> spending
> nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.

Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real rate
is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100% change
(black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial changes.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Huh?

I thought response time was time it takes for white pixel to turn black,
which is worse case. Any other color is less intense than white and not
absence of color like black, so it should be better.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:10:24 PM

Steve Mellor wrote:
> Andrew Rossmann wrote:
>
>>In article <SrKKd.1244$vC.867@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
>>news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk says...
>>
>>>Has anyone here tried one for gaming yet? Has anyone hooked one up
>>>to an ATI AIW 9800 Pro? So far there's the Hyundai L90D+, though
>>>there may be others with sub-16ms response times.
>>>
>>>It's about time I replaced my ageing Dell 19in CRT, but I'm wary of
>>>spending nearly £400, even though that's cheap for a decent LCD.
>>
>> Just like contrast ratio, 'Response time' is over-hyped. The real
>>rate is often longer than what they say, and even then, only for 100%
>>change (black to white.) Response time is much higher for partial
>>changes.
>>
>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html
>

> Yeah, the more I read the more I think that I need to physically sit in
> front of what I'm considering buying before actually buying the thing.

You bet. I bought a huge 16ms panel, as most reviews were enthousiastic
about it and said the responsiveness was excellent. I found it to be a
lot less than excellent, and returned it. In retrospect, it was
Tomshardware that warned me for this. Although I disagree with a lot on
their pages, the stuff about LCD's is very good imho.

I keep track of toms reviews on responserate for LCD's and let them
guide me to a new panel in the (near) future. But for sure will I check
the panel out before buying it, or make sure I can return the panel
again for a full refund.
!