XP Pro and unable to logon with alpha-numeric password

I have a user who is trying to logon onto a W2K domain with an alpha-numeric
p@ssword. He hits Ctrl-Alt-Del to change p@ssword and then reboots. At the
logon screen he enters the p@ssword but it will not accept the p@ssword. I
have tried the exact p@ssword on my account in W2k Pro and it works everytime
- any ideas??
4 answers Last reply
More about unable logon alpha numeric password

    "Please Type a Different Password" Error Message When You Change
    Your Password for a Second Time
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828399

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "stompin" wrote:

    | I have a user who is trying to logon onto a W2K domain with an alpha-numeric
    | p@ssword. He hits Ctrl-Alt-Del to change p@ssword and then reboots. At the
    | logon screen he enters the p@ssword but it will not accept the p@ssword. I
    | have tried the exact p@ssword on my account in W2k Pro and it works everytime
    | - any ideas??

    Carey thanx for the link but I don't think it is GP related and we don't get
    an error message when we change the password, it actually confirms the
    password change. It is when we log back on to the machine we get a message
    indicating a bad password or domain problem, both of which I know should be
    OK. Don't forget I can change my password on my W2K Pro machine to the one
    intended for the XP Pro machine without problem, it's just this one machine
    that will not allow the user to logon to the domain with the alpha-numeric
    password.

    stompin wrote:

    > Carey thanx for the link but I don't think it is GP related and we
    > don't get an error message when we change the password, it actually
    > confirms the
    > password change. It is when we log back on to the machine we get a
    > message indicating a bad password or domain problem, both of which I
    > know should be
    > OK. Don't forget I can change my password on my W2K Pro machine to
    > the one intended for the XP Pro machine without problem, it's just
    > this one machine that will not allow the user to logon to the domain
    > with the alpha-numeric password.

    I wonder if the user with the problem has a different type of keyboard?
    Maybe one with numlock on or off or something? Or a stuck key? I wonder
    what would happen if you tried a different keyboard on that box.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi!

    I believe that the user forgot some case after changing the password. or
    either when he/she change the password either the caps lock is on. Sometimes
    also, it happen that after you change the password with a right keys, once
    you restart then login you been unable to login because the password you type
    is incorrect. I believe during data transfer the data has been corrupted as
    experience.

    To resolve such issue's, you have to reset the password from the domain
    using administrative tools.

    "stompin" wrote:

    > I have a user who is trying to logon onto a W2K domain with an alpha-numeric
    > p@ssword. He hits Ctrl-Alt-Del to change p@ssword and then reboots. At the
    > logon screen he enters the p@ssword but it will not accept the p@ssword. I
    > have tried the exact p@ssword on my account in W2k Pro and it works everytime
    > - any ideas??