Is Hydravision worth it???

Pretty much as the subject. What extra do you get over the catalyst drivers?
Is it stable software? Any other tips advice or stories.

TIA

Kent_Diego

No. You do not need Hydravision at all. Windows automatically supports dual
monitors without it. I found Hydravision to be an annoying add on.

-Kent

Piers James wrote:

> Pretty much as the subject. What extra do you get over the catalyst
> drivers? Is it stable software? Any other tips advice or stories.

It's stable. It gives you multiple desktops with different settings,
transparent windows, and some other bells and whistles.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke wrote:

> Piers James wrote:
>
>> Pretty much as the subject. What extra do you get over the catalyst
>> drivers? Is it stable software? Any other tips advice or stories.
>
> It's stable. It gives you multiple desktops with different settings,
> transparent windows, and some other bells and whistles.

I'm curious to know - does anyone actually *use* transparent windows? I
don't use Hydravision (it's just one more thing to go wrong), but quite a
few apps that I use can have transparency - eg Winamp, Trillian, etc. I
toyed with the facility briefly, and it was cute, but not actually useful
for anything.
--

/mel/

SL

I cant recall if it was a product of Hydra or my TV Wonder. I believe it to
be the hydravision. I would occassionally use the tv option as my
transparent desktop. A little hard a times to find the icons on the screen.
:)

SL

/mel/ wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> Piers James wrote:
>>
>>> Pretty much as the subject. What extra do you get over the catalyst
>>> drivers? Is it stable software? Any other tips advice or stories.
>>
>> It's stable. It gives you multiple desktops with different settings,
>> transparent windows, and some other bells and whistles.
>
> I'm curious to know - does anyone actually *use* transparent windows? I
> don't use Hydravision (it's just one more thing to go wrong), but quite a
> few apps that I use can have transparency - eg Winamp, Trillian, etc. I
> toyed with the facility briefly, and it was cute, but not actually useful
> for anything.

Sometimes when I'm writing something about something that's showing in
another window it's handy to have the window in which I'm writing
transparent so I can see it without switching back and forth. It's not
something I use every day but once in a while it's quite handy.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I thought this was the case, and indeed my dual monitor setup works fine,
but I just wondering what extra Hydravision might give.

The one beef I do have is that my taskbar does not extend over both
monitors, but only my primary one. I feel like it should cover both
monitors. Is this the same for everyone (ie windows), or just a peculiarity
of the ATI drivers??

Cheers

SL wrote:

> I cant recall if it was a product of Hydra or my TV Wonder. I
> believe it to be the hydravision. I would occassionally use the tv
> option as my transparent desktop. A little hard a times to find the
> icons on the screen. :)

You can do the TV transparency without Hydravision. (I prefer desktop
background myself).

--

/mel/

SL

I didnt think of that one. I will have to try that someday.

Old dog...new trick.

SL

Piers James wrote:
> I thought this was the case, and indeed my dual monitor setup works
> fine, but I just wondering what extra Hydravision might give.
>
> The one beef I do have is that my taskbar does not extend over both
> monitors, but only my primary one. I feel like it should cover both
> monitors. Is this the same for everyone (ie windows), or just a
> peculiarity of the ATI drivers??
>
> Cheers
>
> "Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message
>> No. You do not need Hydravision at all. Windows automatically
>> supports dual
>> monitors without it. I found Hydravision to be an annoying add on.
>>
>> -Kent

I found Hydravision to be a right pain in the .. ..

I use a 3rd party app called UltraMon which is just great. 2 taskbars
and when you throw a window to the other monitor it moves to the taskbar on
that monitor. Also alot of other helpful little features.

> > The one beef I do have is that my taskbar does not extend over both
> > monitors, but only my primary one. I feel like it should cover both
> > monitors. Is this the same for everyone (ie windows), or just a
> > peculiarity of the ATI drivers??

And my major beef on my first dualhead machine was that the stupid bar went
across both monitors.

They're separate desktops, they should be treated separately. Having my
start button on the left corner of the left monitor and the clock on the
right corner of the right monitor was a major pain. Also, with dualhead, you
can have different resolutions for each head - how do you make the bar
transition between the monitors smoothly when one is 768 pixels tall and the
other 1024?