Camera Purchase

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b } Memory
April 26, 2004 6:05:50 AM

I'm looking to buy my 1st digital camera always had 35 mm, any suggestions
for around $350 how much extra memory do I need, best way to make prints,
and megaPixels? Thanks in advance

More about : camera purchase

April 26, 2004 1:07:51 PM

How big of prints do you want to make?
2 megapixels makes good 5x7 prints
4 megapixels makes good 8x10 prints

Extra money is needed of rextra battery or rechargable AA batteries and for
the memory card(s)
2 megapixel camera needs around a 64 meg memory card
4 megapixel camera needs a 128 or bigger memory card

Printing... any of todays inkjets do an OK job. Some will do better, but
may cost lots more. some inks/paper will fade less or are waterproof. I
have a $80 HP printer thats now 2 years old. It prints good enogh for me.
I view 99% of the pictures on the computer and never print them.

Extra money to backup photos. an extra hard drive or CD/DVD burner is a
good idea for your computer. My Dad and I share a USB external hard drive.
I use it for a month or two and then give it to him for a month or two...so
both of use have our picutres backed-up on the extra hard drive.

All this "extra money" makes a guy wonder if digital is cheaper than the
good old film camera. Money wise digital is probably more expensive by far!
But I have better pictures because I can instantly check the picture and
take more to insure a good picture. How much is it worth to get a good
picture of your son or daughters first birthday? or first this or first
that.... Take lots of pictures and have fun!

--jay

"2002-Z06" <johnwayne199@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy my 1st digital camera always had 35 mm, any suggestions
> for around $350 how much extra memory do I need, best way to make prints,
> and megaPixels? Thanks in advance

a b } Memory
April 26, 2004 7:23:56 PM

"2002-Z06" <johnwayne199@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy my 1st digital camera always had 35 mm, any suggestions
> for around $350

I prefer the Olympus cameras. The picture quality is excellent, and Oly
cameras tend to be less expensive than other makes with like fetaures. For
details on the features of the models, a good site is www.dpreview.com.

>how much extra memory do I need,

The memory card that comes with the camera won't be enough. For a start get
at least a 128 Mb vard. You can get more later. You'll also need at least
one extra set of batteries and a charger. I get those items at
www.thomasdistributing.com.

>best way to make prints,

Do you want to do it yourself, or get prints like you now do for film?

> and megaPixels?

2 Mp is enough for prints up to 6X4" or 5X7". For 8X10 prints, you should
have at least 3 Mp.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 26, 2004 8:54:19 PM

jay typed:

> How big of prints do you want to make?
> 2 megapixels makes good 5x7 prints
> 4 megapixels makes good 8x10 prints
>
> Extra money is needed of rextra battery or rechargable AA batteries
> and for the memory card(s)
> 2 megapixel camera needs around a 64 meg memory card
> 4 megapixel camera needs a 128 or bigger memory card
>
> Printing... any of todays inkjets do an OK job. Some will do better,
> but may cost lots more. some inks/paper will fade less or are
> waterproof. I have a $80 HP printer thats now 2 years old. It
> prints good enogh for me. I view 99% of the pictures on the computer
> and never print them.
>
> Extra money to backup photos. an extra hard drive or CD/DVD burner
> is a good idea for your computer. My Dad and I share a USB external
> hard drive. I use it for a month or two and then give it to him for
> a month or two...so both of use have our picutres backed-up on the
> extra hard drive.
>
> All this "extra money" makes a guy wonder if digital is cheaper than
> the good old film camera. Money wise digital is probably more
> expensive by far!

That can be true. But remember that with old 35 mm camera you took one shot
each time you saw oportunity, and sometimes you didn't make one since you
thought - naa, it's not worthed and i may get out of film... Now each time
you make 5 or 10 shots and you don't even think if it's worthed or not.
you'll delete useless ones anyway. At home you used to get some 10 or 20
good ones from old 35 mm film, now you get some 50 or 100 out of 200-300
shots. Now you think which one is better. And bear in mind that most of the
times you don't even print or make photos, you jsut leave them in PC
(CDR...) and see them every now and then. I know i looked through my digital
ones many times in a past year while i didn't touch old 35 mm ones for a
decade or longer...i think i don't even know where my albums are...

although from i see noise is still a big factor in digital photography. For
now i use ISO50 to get good results. Anything above is ..... not good...

But I have better pictures because I can instantly
> check the picture and take more to insure a good picture. How much
> is it worth to get a good picture of your son or daughters first
> birthday? or first this or first that.... Take lots of pictures and
> have fun!
>

> --jay
>

> "2002-Z06" <johnwayne199@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking to buy my 1st digital camera always had 35 mm, any
>> suggestions for around $350 how much extra memory do I need, best
>> way to make prints, and megaPixels? Thanks in advance
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 26, 2004 8:55:57 PM

2002-Z06 typed:

> I'm looking to buy my 1st digital camera always had 35 mm, any
> suggestions for around $350 how much extra memory do I need, best way
> to make prints, and megaPixels? Thanks in advance

Get some with optical zoom and forget all about digital one. I guess Canon
S1 IS is a bit above your money? It does have 10x zoom. Check out and see.
!