Started asking for a password but no password set

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

XP Pro home simple home use. I have 2 accounts and neither were password
protected. 2 days ago Windows asked for a password on both. Obviously I
didn't have either. I rebooted and the password prompts went away. This
happened again so I gave the accounts passwords - to no avail. After some
amount of time, windows no longer recognized the passwords.

This seems to occur whenever the monitor goes to sleep, but for longer than
30 minutes? Also, a restart fixes it but only temporarily. Could this be some
hack job?

Hi

Sounds like a combination of problems.

Try looking in 'Configuration'>Power supply (may not be called this in
English but I have a French system).

There is an option for when your computer comes out of hibernation whether
or not it asks for the password.

Then, I'd also look at your 'Local Security Options' >' account strategies'
>Password strategies' to see the life of a password on your computer.

This all might give you some further ideas. Were you 'twiddling' around any
of these areas when the problem started?

Good luck

Dave Neve
"thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
961CB360-E0DA-45A9-B744-282F7A4978D4@microsoft.com...
> XP Pro home simple home use. I have 2 accounts and neither were password
> protected. 2 days ago Windows asked for a password on both. Obviously I
> didn't have either. I rebooted and the password prompts went away. This
> happened again so I gave the accounts passwords - to no avail. After some
> amount of time, windows no longer recognized the passwords.
>
> This seems to occur whenever the monitor goes to sleep, but for longer
> than
> 30 minutes? Also, a restart fixes it but only temporarily. Could this be
> some
> hack job?

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

unfortunately i was not twiddling around....it just started happening. i will
change the power setting to see if that does anything...anyone else have any
ideas?