Asus A7V333 and Radeon 9600 family?

My motherboard is three years old now, and I've happily used a Radeon 8500LE
(64MB version) with it for all that time. I don't play too many games, but
just recently I play more than I have ever done. I'm getting a new system
built in 6 month or so, with an all singing, all dancing spec...so I may
just put in a new graphics card that is a bit better than what I have now.

So, as there is a big age gap between my A7V333 and the ATI Radeon 9600
family of cards (the one I had my eye on, perhaps just the 128MB version) -
I'm wondering if the board will take it. It's only AGP 4x, but that should
be OK due to backward compatibility....shouldn't it?

Here's my specs

Asus A7V333 motherboard
Athlon XP 2400 + (T-Bred) CPU
512MB PC2100 DDR memory
400W PSU (with not too much running of it, one optical drive etc)
80GB 7K250 7200rpm Hitachi hard drive
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 audio card
W2K Pro service pack 4
(and the Radeon 8500LE 64MB I want to replace)

I'm no expert, but this board/spec should accommodate a 9600..... shouldn't
it? If not, what ATI card is a good step up from my current one that will
live well on this mobo? Obviously I'm not wanting Doom 3 sessions...just to
play my current games collection with a few bells and whistles more than I
now do.

Thanks.

Yes, it'll be fine. Just be sure to get a 9600XT.

And despite the two cards using the same driver package, be sure to
uninstall your existing ATi drivers before taking out the 8500LE and
reinstall after putting in the 9600.

> Yes, it'll be fine. Just be sure to get a 9600XT.
>
> And despite the two cards using the same driver package, be sure to
> uninstall your existing ATi drivers before taking out the 8500LE and
> reinstall after putting in the 9600.

Cheers, mate.