Green artifacts on AIW 9700 pro

I have recently been experiencing large artifacts on my screen. When running
XP windows applications or 3d gaming. Mostly green in color. Usually begin
as vertical staticky looking bars that will disappear if I open a new
window. Its almost like a little interference from something? I tried
removing all the cards and reseating them. I reseated all ram and connectors
on the motherboard. Blew out a lot of dust from fans. Obscene amount of
dust. All fans are spinning including Radeon fan. Case sides are off so heat
should not be a factor. I am overclocking the bus a little but I always have
(2 years now) and I have never seen this phenomenon before. Tried turning
off fast writes and write combining. Any Ideas? Thanks.

In article <2ZidnaoAWvRTB2DcRVn-qQ@comcast.com>, Timothy King says...
> I have recently been experiencing large artifacts on my screen. When running
> XP windows applications or 3d gaming. Mostly green in color. Usually begin
> as vertical staticky looking bars that will disappear if I open a new
> window. Its almost like a little interference from something? I tried
> removing all the cards and reseating them. I reseated all ram and connectors
> on the motherboard. Blew out a lot of dust from fans. Obscene amount of
> dust. All fans are spinning including Radeon fan. Case sides are off so heat
> should not be a factor. I am overclocking the bus a little but I always have
> (2 years now) and I have never seen this phenomenon before. Tried turning
> off fast writes and write combining. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Yep...
Either the GPU or RAM on the graphics card is dying. The extra heat
generated because of overclocking DOES have a degenerative effect on
the internal pathways of the GPU/RAM over a prolonged period of time
even though it appears not to for a while. The reason most people never
see this is because they've upgraded again well before it gets to a
point where a problem has arisen. 2 years seems about right though. Its
non recoverable even if you go back to stock clock.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

"Timothy King" <tamaran-2000@comcast.net> wrote in

> I have recently been experiencing large artifacts on my screen. When
> running XP windows applications or 3d gaming. Mostly green in color.
> Usually begin as vertical staticky looking bars that will disappear if
> I open a new window. Its almost like a little interference from
> something? I tried removing all the cards and reseating them. I
> reseated all ram and connectors on the motherboard. Blew out a lot of
> dust from fans. Obscene amount of dust. All fans are spinning
> including Radeon fan. Case sides are off so heat should not be a
> factor. I am overclocking the bus a little but I always have (2 years
> now) and I have never seen this phenomenon before. Tried turning off
> fast writes and write combining. Any Ideas? Thanks.

I experienced the same problem from overclocking. If you are
overclocking and your video card isn't damaged, you should be able to
backoff RAM settings and have the card return to normal. I noticed my
issues were directly related to 3D games running full bore. Also adding
additional video cooling may help with the artifacts if they arrive after
playing a game for several minutes. As this may be related to heat thats
generated for pushing the card to hard. Also if you changed your video
drivers recently, return to the older drivers and see if it correct the
problem.

Good Luck
FM