Password problems after XP re install

My sons computer, full of has GCSE course work for important exams has just
had a problem. Would not boot up with report that NSDL file could not be
found for both normal and safe modes.

Answer - I reinstalled Windows, I could not do the repair function as again
got the NSDL report to I did a full reload.

XP installed properly so I tried to access documents and settings for my
sons file and mine but cannot open the folders. All I get is an access
denied dialogue window. All the other configurations are ok but as my
setting and my son's was password protected I fear this is the source of the
problem. I tried booting up in safe mode with no joy.

I am desperate to get access to these folders can anyone help. PS the system
is also set for US keyboard and I cannot find a way to get UK setting up and
running.

Many many thanks to any kind hearted person out there who can help.

Regards

John

Malke

John Basnett wrote:

> My sons computer, full of has GCSE course work for important exams has
> just had a problem. Would not boot up with report that NSDL file could
> not be found for both normal and safe modes.
>
> Answer - I reinstalled Windows, I could not do the repair function as
> again got the NSDL report to I did a full reload.
>
> XP installed properly so I tried to access documents and settings for
> my sons file and mine but cannot open the folders. All I get is an
> access denied dialogue window. All the other configurations are ok but
> as my setting and my son's was password protected I fear this is the
> source of the problem. I tried booting up in safe mode with no joy.
>
> I am desperate to get access to these folders can anyone help. PS the
> system is also set for US keyboard and I cannot find a way to get UK
> setting up and running.

Simply solved by taking ownership of the files/folders:
Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

The keyboard US/UK setting will be found in Regional and Language
Options applet in Control Panel.

As an aside, you and your son should learn how to back up your data and
then do it regularly. Then there will be no panic when your operating
system and/or hardware fails.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User