  • Product
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:53:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 30 Jan 2005, agrube@my-deja.com wrote:

> proximatly 14h later!!!

so for 14 hours valve made the world stop playing hl2!
man! now that's what i call power!
for the first time in the pc game history a game developer made
all its gamers around the world obediently stop playing their game!
why?
like you said... valve needed to take a nap... valve nap always
last for 14 hours! that's also the sleeping hours of a PIG

thanks for informing this group about steam world
i rely on you guys to give us the real truth

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

More about : valve hour nap pig

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:53:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I trus everyone are taking notes. The Fool brings up issues as large
and burning as any haemorrhoid, and twice as ugly!

"so for 14 hours valve made the world stop playing hl2!
man! now that's what i call power!"

"valve needed to take a nap... valve nap always last for 14 hours!
that's also the sleeping hours of a PIG"

Another strange "coincidence" is that 14 hours is the ___***HALF
LIFE!!!***___ of Gallium 72!!!!! Gallia is the old name of France, so
obviously this means that Valve is now cooperating with France to CAUSE
THE DESTRUCTION OF THE USA!!!!

Or something like that. Is it just me or is the fools ranting getting a
bit old?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:53:57 PM

difool wrote:

> like you said... valve needed to take a nap... valve nap always
> last for 14 hours! that's also the sleeping hours of a PIG

Gene Ray??? I thought it was a 92 hour day or some such...
January 31, 2005 3:28:54 PM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

> Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 are not "online games". A lot of people
(myself
> included) could not play the single player at all for over 14 hours. You
> need to get your facts straight before you start flaming people Chadwick.

Was it really 14 hours? Wow.

Steam emulator folks, Steam emulator. :)  And no more money to Valve. Stop
rewarding the people who make you authenticate an offline single player
game.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:13:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> <snip Schrodinger's drivel>

you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:13:07 PM

LoTekGuru wrote:

>><snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>

> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)

Or right click on your network connection and choose disable...
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:13:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:13:06 GMT, "LoTekGuru"
<lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote:

>you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
>or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
>unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
>the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
>you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
>resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)

Hehe...you really are a "LoTek" Guru. Don't you know you can you can
just disable your network card (this works in XP) for the same effect.
I'll let you figure out how seeing as you are a Guru and all.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"LoTekGuru" wrote

> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)
I didn't get into trouble myself
Authenticated just fine the whole day

My experience is that if Steam fails to connect, you can just as well forget
trying to reconnect from the current session

Shutting down the Steam service and start from scratch again usually clears
authentication problems - at least for me it does

I don't know if failed to authenticate against the servers will cause the
offline thing to fail as I haven't experienced any problems with this

NB! Steam is always going online when my PC is turned on

- Peter
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:51:55 PM

LoTekGuru wrote:
>><snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>

> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)

This is not true.

While its connecting you can hit escape and opt to go offline.

if you are online and it connects too quickly to hit escape then no harm
done.

--
Walter Mitty
-

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:24:40 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

<snip?>
> Also, remember that when Valve go out of business, the Steam switch
> will be permanently turned off. No acquiring company will bother
> supporting Valve's legacy titles like HL2 - they will be solely
> interested in the IP and key technical personnel, as Valve is already
> in the process of rapidly burning up that other potential acquisition
> $$-asset - customer goodwill..
>
> John Lewis

That's my point as well... When I make it folks complain about not being
able to live without HL2 for a few hours... The picture is much bigger than
that. You bought a piece of software and were deprived of it's use (for
however long). Period. That should never happen. Steam and the mandatory
login (OK so there' offline mode, so what...) to be able to play. Imagine
the next company that pulls this scheme, and the next, and the next, then
Microsoft... Gee can't use your computer now because...

If you paid hard earned clams, the software should be yours to use, no
checking in to the mother ship. Steam should be an update service you go to
when you choose to. Just plain and simple.

One little right taken away, the next little right taken away... Ya'll can't
hear the chipping sound???
January 31, 2005 8:25:07 PM

"LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message
>> <snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>
> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)

Every time you restart it tries to connect again. I don't want to have to
block and unblock Steam with a software firewall just because Valve can't do
their job right.
January 31, 2005 8:26:21 PM

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> LoTekGuru wrote:
>>><snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>>

>> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have
>> cable or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam,
>> then unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to
>> connect to the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then
>> it will ask you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable
>> back in, and resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that
>> tough, really :)
>
> This is not true.
>
> While its connecting you can hit escape and opt to go offline.
>
> if you are online and it connects too quickly to hit escape then no harm
> done.
>
> --
> Walter Mitty
> -

Thanks for the tip. Just tried this and it simply stops Steam from loading.
Maybe I am doing it wrong?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:34:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message
> > <snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>
> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)

Someone else who doesn't get facts before posting. There are thousands
of people for whom offline mode DOES NOT WORK and has not since
day one of the game coming out. It was never a problem before the servers
went down. They weren't vocal about it because it worked. Now, they
have had to suffer.

Look into it champ. Thousands cannot get offline mode working. It says
" This operation cannot be completed in offline mode " no matter what they
do, and with it happening to so many, it's clear it's a steam problem.

I don't have this problem, but many, many people do. It just hadn't been a
problem before the recent fiasco.

Please people, stop being blind sheep and responding without knowing
facts.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:36:50 PM

<mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Or something like that. Is it just me or is the fools ranting getting a
> bit old?

Almost as old as the constant grandstanding by people who see it
as an opportunity to make themselves look funny and witty. If he
bothers you, kill file him. If I bother you, kill file me. It's that
simple.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:44:46 PM

In article <6WrLd.39562$IV5.4670@attbi_s54>,
LoTekGuru <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote:
>> <snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>
>you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
>or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
>unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
>the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
>you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
>resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)

Yeah yeah. What about this? I want to play CSS, so I let steam access net.
Steam ticket expired. Whoops. now I want to at least play HL2, now I can't
since that ticket to allow me to go offline expired, even if I blocked
steam the 2nd time.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:41:22 AM

Schrodinger wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have
>>>cable or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam,
>>>then unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to
>>>connect to the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then
>>>it will ask you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable
>>>back in, and resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that
>>>tough, really :)
>>
>>This is not true.
>>
>>While its connecting you can hit escape and opt to go offline.
>>
>>if you are online and it connects too quickly to hit escape then no harm
>>done.
>>
>>--
>>Walter Mitty
>>-
>

> Thanks for the tip. Just tried this and it simply stops Steam from loading.
> Maybe I am doing it wrong?

I doubt it : how hard can it be to hit "esc". Is your Steam fairly
uptodate? The "hit esc" feature came in around a few weeks ago iirc.
February 1, 2005 12:41:23 AM

> Schrodinger wrote:
>> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>This is not true.
>>>
>>>While its connecting you can hit escape and opt to go offline.
>>>
>>>if you are online and it connects too quickly to hit escape then no harm
>>>done.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Walter Mitty
>>>-
>>

>> Thanks for the tip. Just tried this and it simply stops Steam from
>

> I doubt it : how hard can it be to hit "esc". Is your Steam fairly
> uptodate? The "hit esc" feature came in around a few weeks ago iirc.

It should be up to date as it connects every time I start - which is every
day. I just tried again and still no luck - could it be because I have a
fast connection? Oh well, I'm not that bothered as long as Valve servers
don't go down again anyway. I generally have a quick game of CS:S in any
case so need to be online.

Thx anyway!
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:36:58 AM

"It's me" <me@here.noemail> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:13:06 GMT, "LoTekGuru"
> <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote:
>

>> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have
>> cable or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close
>> Steam, then unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will
>> fail to connect to the internet (internet? what internet? you
>> unplugged it!) then it will ask you to go offline. Once offline,
>> plug your ethernet cable back in, and resume playing HL2 in single
>> player mode. It's not that tough, really :)
>>
> Hehe...you really are a "LoTek" Guru. Don't you know you can you can
> just disable your network card (this works in XP) for the same effect.
> I'll let you figure out how seeing as you are a Guru and all.

Awwww... you're so brill yerself! Use a firewall that actually locks
out all internet access. Zone Alarm does this. Works every time.
McG.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:36:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:36:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Awwww... you're so brill yerself! Use a firewall that actually locks
>out all internet access. Zone Alarm does this. Works every time.
>McG.

You want a Firewall running in the background using up resources while
gaming? Dork. All I do is right click the icon I have in my system
tray that says LAN and select disable. How much easier do you want it?
Problem is that you haven't figured how to set up your broadband
connection this way - hidden feature of XP for people with an IQ above
60.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:59:43 AM

difool wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2005, agrube@my-deja.com wrote:
>

>>proximatly 14h later!!!
>

> so for 14 hours valve made the world stop playing hl2!
> man! now that's what i call power!
> for the first time in the pc game history a game developer made
> all its gamers around the world obediently stop playing their game!
> why?
> like you said... valve needed to take a nap... valve nap always
> last for 14 hours! that's also the sleeping hours of a PIG
>
> thanks for informing this group about steam world
> i rely on you guys to give us the real truth
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
The feed-pipes burst below --
You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
You can hear the twisted runners jam."
And he answered, "Turn and go!"

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:37:44 AM

On 31 Jan 2005 03:05:37 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I don't know if this is the first time an online game has been down -
>do you?
But Hl2 isn't an online game.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:40:19 PM

Chadwick wrote:

> (where were you on the night of the 30th
> difool?)

pulling cables out of Valve's Steam server (or just he is doing so in his
imagination)??
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:16:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:15:34 -0700, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>LoTekGuru wrote:
>
>>><snip Schrodinger's drivel>
>>

>> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have cable
>> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
>> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect to
>> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will ask
>> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
>> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)
>
>Or right click on your network connection and choose disable...

What if you don't want to disable your network connection completely
due to other applications running on your PC at the same time? Sheesh,
what extra hoops people are ready to jump through just to get a SP
game to work.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:21:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:40:16 -0700, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Jim Vieira wrote:
>> The fact that so many people have rushed out to defend what happened
>> and deny the *facts* just shows how blissfully ignorant they are, and
>> how much of a fanboy they are. They didn't even bother to get facts
>> straight. Just rush right out and continually paint Steam as being so
>> wonderful and well thought out and without error or problems.
>
>Steam isn't perfect, but it does help with some issues. Most the
>multiplayer issues that abounded before (cheats, lamers, l33t h@><0r5,
>etc) are WAY down. Playing online is a joy now. Plus it is easier to
>get content and updates.

That's all nice and dandy, but has nothing to do with requiring online
validation for installing single-player games. You see, you could have
all those benefits WITHOUT the accompanying drawbacks. Some of you
seem to think that this is an impossible scenario. Why?

Stardock Central seems to be an example how to do it RIGHT.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:30:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"It's me" <me@here.noemail> wrote in message
> >you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have
cable
> >or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam, then
> >unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect
> >the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will
ask
> >you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> >resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really :)
> >
> Hehe...you really are a "LoTek" Guru. Don't you know you can you can
> just disable your network card (this works in XP) for the same effect.
> I'll let you figure out how seeing as you are a Guru and all.

Why would you disable your network card and / or internet connection just
because one game won't behave and stay offline despite being told to? You
should be disabling Steam by using the Steam emulator. No Steam stupidity
after that. Oh and don't buy another Steam game ever again.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:38:13 PM

It's me wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:13:06 GMT, "LoTekGuru"
> <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote:
>

>> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have
>> cable or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close
>> Steam, then unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will
>> fail to connect to the internet (internet? what internet? you
>> unplugged it!) then it will ask you to go offline. Once offline,
>> plug your ethernet cable back in, and resume playing HL2 in single
>> player mode. It's not that tough, really :)
>>
> Hehe...you really are a "LoTek" Guru. Don't you know you can you can
> just disable your network card (this works in XP) for the same effect.
> I'll let you figure out how seeing as you are a Guru and all.

Ah, the cynicism in public discussion groups.. I love it :D
Actually I just didn't want to get too technical. someone who doesn't know
how to get steam to go into offline mode probably shouldn't be toying with
global network settings. unplugging/plugging a cable back in is much easier
for people that lack the computer knowledge to do so (since XP doesn't
automatically show the network connection icon in the systray on connect, it
has to be enabled - at least for XP pro anyway, which is what I use). And
to the people who say that there are thousands who are having this problem,
so "it must be Steam" then I guess I have to wonder, if it's Steam, wouldn't
we ALL have the same problem? I would guess it would more likely be due to
a software incompatibility of some sort, which is very hard to troubleshoot
over thousands of computers, short of getting a list of all running services
for every problem PC and running a comparison to see which PC's all have the
same stuff running, and then comparing that list to a control group of PCs
that never have problems going into offline mode.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:26:13 AM

"riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:15:34 -0700, James Garvin
> <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> you can't tell Steam to go offline once it's connected. If you have
cable
> >> or the kind of DSL that's "always on" then you have to close Steam,
then
> >> unplug your ethernet cable, THEN start Steam... it will fail to connect
> >> the internet (internet? what internet? you unplugged it!) then it will
ask
> >> you to go offline. Once offline, plug your ethernet cable back in, and
> >> resume playing HL2 in single player mode. It's not that tough, really
:)

> >Or right click on your network connection and choose disable...
>
> What if you don't want to disable your network connection completely
> due to other applications running on your PC at the same time? Sheesh,
> what extra hoops people are ready to jump through just to get a SP
> game to work.

1. Flaming hoop.
2. Hulu hoop.
3. ..... dang! I can't think of any more hoops. ;)

If Steam does survive, hopefully Valve will fix this issue. I've been
using computers for over 20 years, and for some reason, I just didn't think
to disconnect/disable my internet connection to get Steam into offline mode.
Time to go back to skool.

BTW You should have seen the hoops that I had to jump thru to get Call of
Duty running on my pc. First it didn't like the fact that I had CloneCD
installed. Then it forced me to install the CD while playing. Next it
didn't like the fact that I inserted it into a CD-RW drive. I use to have
hair before I messed with this game.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:50:45 AM

"OldDog"
snip

>> What if you don't want to disable your network connection completely
>> due to other applications running on your PC at the same time?
>> Sheesh, what extra hoops people are ready to jump through just to
>> get a SP game to work.
>>

> 1. Flaming hoop.
> 2. Hulu hoop.
> 3. ..... dang! I can't think of any more hoops. ;)

4. basketball :o )
McG.

> If Steam does survive, hopefully Valve will fix this issue. I've
> been using computers for over 20 years, and for some reason, I just
> didn't think to disconnect/disable my internet connection to get
> Steam into offline mode. Time to go back to skool.
>
> BTW You should have seen the hoops that I had to jump thru to get
> Call of Duty running on my pc. First it didn't like the fact that I
> had CloneCD installed. Then it forced me to install the CD while
> playing. Next it didn't like the fact that I inserted it into a
> CD-RW drive. I use to have hair before I messed with this game.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:47:10 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> First it didn't like the fact that I had CloneCD installed.

copy protection is to protect from copying, clonecd is an elaborate way
to copy cds, so naturally copy protection are incompatible with this kind
of technology cause its the kind pirates use
and no i'm not calling you a pirate cause i know you aren't one
you suffer cause of pirates... blame on pirates

> Then it forced me to install the CD while playing.

you are forced to have the cd to play to prevent copy, this way the
publisher knows only those with the original game can play the game
its just because the world is full of thieves this happens
again blame it on pirates

> didn't like the fact that I inserted it into a CD-RW drive.

unfortunately not every cd drive is made the same, so some are not
compatible with all cd copy protection, again its the price who pay
for having a free market with lots of companies manufacturing
did you want instead only ONE cd drive manufacturer?
obvious not! obviously it best having some cd drive incompatible with
some kinds of cd copy protection than having monopoly in cd drives
so again the pirates are too blame

so as you see... all of them... the three... are NEEDED!
the three have justification!
and don't even dare denying me!
the justification is all the pirate thieves in the world

you have cd copy protection or instead you kill all the pirates in world?
which one do you want?
no way you are that cruel... right?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 2, 2005 5:15:02 PM

Earring hoops
COCK-A-HOOP
The Secretary General of the NATO Jaap de HOOP Scheffer.;0)

McGrandpa wrote:

> "OldDog"
> snip
> >>
> >> What if you don't want to disable your network connection completely
> >> due to other applications running on your PC at the same time?
> >> Sheesh, what extra hoops people are ready to jump through just to
> >> get a SP game to work.
> >>

> > 1. Flaming hoop.
> > 2. Hulu hoop.
> > 3. ..... dang! I can't think of any more hoops. ;)
>
> 4. basketball :o )
> McG.

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:42:32 PM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

<snip>

> so as you see... all of them... the three... are NEEDED!
> the three have justification!
> and don't even dare denying me!

You're wrong.
Now that there's Steam, users no longer will need CDs, drives, or have to
put up with copy protection. Give me an AMEN and a couple of howls at the
moon!

> the justification is all the pirate thieves in the world
>
> you have cd copy protection or instead you kill all the pirates in world?
> which one do you want?
> no way you are that cruel... right?

Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.
It's a very good sign
February 2, 2005 9:10:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

In article <sF5Md.154$uA.98@fe1.texas.rr.com>, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote:

>Now that there's Steam, users no longer will need CDs, drives, or have to
>put up with copy protection. Give me an AMEN and a couple of howls at the
>moon!

Before you start slapping hands in victory... consider, you're still putting
up with copy protection (now more than ever, IMHO), and you're replacing a
requirement for CD's and CD drives (why they receive such criticism is beyond
me) with a requirement for all of the network equipment, know-how, and fees to
establish and maintain an internet connection, which will never be as
reliable as a $30 CDROM drive. With what significant benefit to the
single-player gamer? (Don't bother... I know what Steam does... I just don't
see the "benefits" as all that beneficial.)
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:52:51 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005, Jeff wrote:

> Before you start slapping hands in victory... consider, you're still putting
> up with copy protection (now more than ever, IMHO), and you're replacing a

exactly, a new kind of copy protection, this one intrusive, expensive and
with requirements not available for millions of pc gamers

> requirement for CD's and CD drives (why they receive such criticism is beyond

i too don't understand this about having to leave the cd in the drive
my current routine when playing pc games is, first going to the shelve to
check what game to play, choose it, pick it, and go to my computer to play
nowadays i don't even know what pc game requires or not leaving the cd in
drive cause i always start a game by inserting the cd and not by the
desktop or start menu shortcut

> single-player gamer? (Don't bother... I know what Steam does... I just don't
> see the "benefits" as all that beneficial.)

for me personally steam has no benefits
but i agree for many gamers it has
the problem is not steam being or not beneficial, the only issue is it
being MANDATORY, and we know all why it is... for valve to proceed with
their plan to turn game into a "service" system of pay as you play