1 computer 'network' Wireless vs Fishooking cable

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

6/19/04

I need to connect my PC to my cable outlet more safely than it is now. The
closest cable outlet is accross a short hall from the room were my computer
is located(AMD 1Ghz, XP Pro, Kerio 4.0, 512 MB, 160GB total disk space). The
cable is stretched across the hall, covered with a throw rug. In the past
I've found someone to fishhoo the cable under/around/thru/over/behind
carpet, molding and walls. Finding someone with the tools and the skill to
do this well is a problem.

Using a wireless router seems like the best solution to me. I've located a
SOYO 802.11g wireless router, and a netgear adapter that I can afford.

Can someone point to a page of instructions on setting this up. I'm new to
wireless, but skilled with computers & software. A link on how to's for
security and firewall recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks for Any Help.

Brian

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.

May be this can Help:

Jack (MVP - Networking).

"Brian" <b4d5y@comcast.net> wrote in message
> 6/19/04
>

> I need to connect my PC to my cable outlet more safely than it is now. The
> closest cable outlet is accross a short hall from the room were my
computer
> is located(AMD 1Ghz, XP Pro, Kerio 4.0, 512 MB, 160GB total disk space).
The
> cable is stretched across the hall, covered with a throw rug. In the past
> I've found someone to fishhoo the cable under/around/thru/over/behind
> carpet, molding and walls. Finding someone with the tools and the skill to
> do this well is a problem.
>
> Using a wireless router seems like the best solution to me. I've located a
> SOYO 802.11g wireless router, and a netgear adapter that I can afford.
>
> Can someone point to a page of instructions on setting this up. I'm new to
> wireless, but skilled with computers & software. A link on how to's for
> security and firewall recommendations would also be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for Any Help.
>
> Brian

papa

www.practicallynetworked.com