help!-password

After a year of using the same password I decided to change it. Of course I
cannot remember what the new password is now and i have no "clue". I cannot
get into the computer except for LIMITED access accounts. Is there a way I
can go back a week in time for XP recovery in a safe mode. or some other
solution. I am hoping not to loose all the info in that account. As of
right now I have to access to an ADMINSTRATOR account.

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

What I do is put the new password down on paper before I even change it, and
keep the piece of paper is a safe place untill I no longer forget the new
password... (by then not so new)

This page can be your last hope... if there's any chance to recover your
info, you'll find it here.

Lost Forgotten Expired Password

Regards.

"absent minded" <absent minded@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:F3F22E78-08AA-484A-AB31-B88F58DAA929@microsoft.com...
> After a year of using the same password I decided to change it. Of course
> cannot remember what the new password is now and i have no "clue". I
cannot
> get into the computer except for LIMITED access accounts. Is there a way
> can go back a week in time for XP recovery in a safe mode. or some other
> solution. I am hoping not to loose all the info in that account. As of
> right now I have to access to an ADMINSTRATOR account.

Malke

absent minded wrote:

> After a year of using the same password I decided to change it. Of
> course I
> cannot remember what the new password is now and i have no "clue". I
> cannot
> get into the computer except for LIMITED access accounts. Is there a
> way I
> can go back a week in time for XP recovery in a safe mode. or some
> other
> solution. I am hoping not to loose all the info in that account. As
> of right now I have to access to an ADMINSTRATOR account.

Do you have XP Home or Pro? In any case, boot into Safe Mode and you
will find the normally hidden Administrator account. Unless you have
Pro and/or changed the Administrator account's password, the default is
blank. Once in, you can then go to your own account in the User
Accounts applet (Control Panel) and change your password back to
something you'll remember.

If you have XP Pro and/or the Administrator account password was changed
or forgotten, use NTpasswd to change the Administrator password to a
blank:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I put a password on my computer so my sister wouldn't see some private files,
but now I can't get on! I type the password in and each time it tells me it's
wrong. The "clue" doesn't help. I've emailed the manufacturer and haven't
been able to help. I have XP Professional and don't have a boot disc or a XP
disc. I can't get on the computer at all! The only access I have is to log in
prompt. please help!

DON'T KNOW PASSWORD!!!! wrote:

> I put a password on my computer so my sister wouldn't see some private
> files, but now I can't get on! I type the password in and each time it
> tells me it's wrong. The "clue" doesn't help. I've emailed the
> manufacturer and haven't been able to help. I have XP Professional and
> don't have a boot disc or a XP disc. I can't get on the computer at
> all! The only access I have is to log in prompt. please help!
>

> "absent minded" wrote:
>
>> After a year of using the same password I decided to change it. Of
>> course I
>> cannot remember what the new password is now and i have no "clue". I
>> cannot
>> get into the computer except for LIMITED access accounts. Is there a
>> way I
>> can go back a week in time for XP recovery in a safe mode. or some
>> other
>> solution. I am hoping not to loose all the info in that account. As
>> of right now I have to access to an ADMINSTRATOR account.

Read my advice to the original poster in this thread - this thread you
hijacked. Follow that advice. Then get a real newsreader to make using
newsgroups easier. Here is information about that:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
some links to information about newsgroups:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting