Adding programs to a locked-down environment

Thanks in advance for any help:

I have a (domain based) network of XP computers in a school. In order to
keep things running stable, the student account is not allowed to install
programs/plug-ins, etc.

Obviously when I log in as administrator I can install anything I want to,
but when installed from the admin account it seems that sometimes features
are not accessible to the students. For example, I installed the
flash/shockwave plug-ins as admin, and the kids can't use them. It's like
they don't exist.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Some of the computers will pop
up the box prompting for admin credentials to install the program, and some
do not.

Also, is there a resource somewhere on group policy that's not written in
propeller-head?? No offense if you are a propeller-head, but I'm just a dad
who helps out at school, and it's been ages since I've actually understood
the nuances of operating systems. Arguably, I don't want to understand the
guts of it that well.

Thanks again
1 answer Last reply
More about adding programs locked down environment

    there is no way they sometimes the acitve x install pops up and sometimes it
    doesnt not on a rescrited account. its either one or the other. check
    interent explore > tools > internet options > security > custom level

    script active x objects safe for scripting needs to be enabled logged in as
    a restricted user, same as run. if unser check all to be prompt. if you are
    using group policy you might want to post in a server newsgroup, but im sure
    there is a policy for it if you look in gpedit.msc

    "Kevin Hughes" wrote:

    > Thanks in advance for any help:
    >
    > I have a (domain based) network of XP computers in a school. In order to
    > keep things running stable, the student account is not allowed to install
    > programs/plug-ins, etc.
    >
    > Obviously when I log in as administrator I can install anything I want to,
    > but when installed from the admin account it seems that sometimes features
    > are not accessible to the students. For example, I installed the
    > flash/shockwave plug-ins as admin, and the kids can't use them. It's like
    > they don't exist.
    >
    > Can someone point me in the right direction? Some of the computers will pop
    > up the box prompting for admin credentials to install the program, and some
    > do not.
    >
    > Also, is there a resource somewhere on group policy that's not written in
    > propeller-head?? No offense if you are a propeller-head, but I'm just a dad
    > who helps out at school, and it's been ages since I've actually understood
    > the nuances of operating systems. Arguably, I don't want to understand the
    > guts of it that well.
    >
    > Thanks again

Windows XP