"I said pick up the can"

Hi Folks,

What fun it was, in early HL2, when the big ugly guy started saying
"Pick up the can" and wouldn't let Mr. Freeman go through the door until
he did.

This reminded me of high school bullies, and the fact that I would do
nearly anything - including getting beaten the piss out of - instead of
cooperating.

There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This
is fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the game
otherwise.

It doesn't work instantly, but if you're persistent you can get past
him. When you do be ready because he'll chase you all the way to the
exit door, down halls and around corners.

Scroll down for a hint.
..

..

..

You can climb up on barrels.

-dreq

First time through, I chucked it at him, then cheezed it. No really! He
runs for you, then I slipped past and took off running.

--
-Acercanto (young pup)
user:forestman domain:vt.edu

Derek Mark Edding wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> What fun it was, in early HL2, when the big ugly guy started saying
> "Pick up the can" and wouldn't let Mr. Freeman go through the door until
> he did.
>
> This reminded me of high school bullies, and the fact that I would do
> nearly anything - including getting beaten the piss out of - instead of
> cooperating.
>
> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This
> is fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the game
> otherwise.
>
> It doesn't work instantly, but if you're persistent you can get past
> him. When you do be ready because he'll chase you all the way to the
> exit door, down halls and around corners.

I usually pick up the can and throw it at the guy, then run through the door
when he comes after me. He eventually loses interest and stops chasing you.

I picked up the can and put in the trash for the first time last night. He
let me past. It was very unsatisfying. I really wouldn't recommend that
course of action. Better to wail the thing at the guy.

Or do as a friend of mine did and wail it at him repeatedly.

"Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> What fun it was, in early HL2, when the big ugly guy started saying "Pick
> up the can" and wouldn't let Mr. Freeman go through the door until he did.
>
> This reminded me of high school bullies, and the fact that I would do
> nearly anything - including getting beaten the piss out of - instead of
> cooperating.
>
> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This is
> fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the game
> otherwise.
>
> It doesn't work instantly, but if you're persistent you can get past him.
> When you do be ready because he'll chase you all the way to the exit door,
> down halls and around corners.
>
> Scroll down for a hint.
> .
>
> .
>
> .

> You can climb up on barrels.

I have been thru this part many times now and have never put it in the
trash...nor have I climbed the barrels... It's easy to get past anyway....

"Derek Mark Edding" wrote

> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This is
> fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the game
> otherwise.

Several ways to get past him

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

1)
Piss him off and let him do some beating (he can't kill you at this point)
Hide in the doorway where you came in the hallway
And he leaves evetually

2)
Start throwing cans at him and run backwards and let him chase you
When clear of the entrance you can just run through he's not that persistent

3)
Exploit a bug in game
Do as no2 but backpedal in stead of turning around running forwards
If you do it correctly the NPC will hang on tp the players bounding box and
the AI will disable
You can drag the NPC around like this - looks kind of weird

4)
And many more :)

- Peter

"Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote in message
>I usually pick up the can and throw it at the guy, then run through the
>door when he comes after me. He eventually loses interest and stops
>chasing you.
>
> I picked up the can and put in the trash for the first time last night.
> He let me past. It was very unsatisfying. I really wouldn't recommend
> that course of action. Better to wail the thing at the guy.
>
> Or do as a friend of mine did and wail it at him repeatedly.

Where EXACTLY does this happen? I started over and didn't run into this, but
I swear I did the first time and complied. I want to wail on that dork.

"Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> What fun it was, in early HL2, when the big ugly guy started saying
> "Pick up the can" and wouldn't let Mr. Freeman go through the door
> until he did.
>
> This reminded me of high school bullies, and the fact that I would do
> nearly anything - including getting beaten the piss out of - instead
> of cooperating.
>
> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This
> is fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the
> game otherwise.
>
> It doesn't work instantly, but if you're persistent you can get past
> him. When you do be ready because he'll chase you all the way to the
> exit door, down halls and around corners.
>
> Scroll down for a hint.
> .
>
> .
>
> .

> You can climb up on barrels.
>
> -dreq

Thanks for Sharing Derek :) Probably most of us got a button pushed
with that scene, and I got Gordon beat on quite a bit. I even got a
sinter block and hit him with it :) But I wasn't gonna pick up the damn
can!
Yep, I had my own bully in elementary school. Got beat up a lot too
when I was little. I think I finally knocked over the trash barrel.
The guy just grumbled and I walked on by then.
McG.

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 4)
> And many more :)

...CHEAT..

MetroCop: "Pick up that can"

Gordon: *racks shotgun*
Gordon: *BOOM!!!*

MetroCop: <dying> A.. alllll... riiight.... y-you can go. He haha a
aaaaaa..." <slump>

Derek Mark Edding wrote:

> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating.
> This is fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the
> game otherwise.

You'd let a little thing like that get in the way of playing the game you had
bought? Heck, I just did what he asked. It didn't seem like the right time to
start rebelling... yet.

Earlier on in the game, did you insist on going to Nova Prospekt?

--
Paul

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote in message
> >I usually pick up the can and throw it at the guy, then run through the
> >door when he comes after me. He eventually loses interest and stops
> >chasing you.
> >
> > I picked up the can and put in the trash for the first time last night.
> > He let me past. It was very unsatisfying. I really wouldn't recommend
> > that course of action. Better to wail the thing at the guy.
> >
> > Or do as a friend of mine did and wail it at him repeatedly.
> >

> Where EXACTLY does this happen? I started over and didn't run into this,
but
> I swear I did the first time and complied. I want to wail on that dork.

Immediately after the second map load. Barney has just let you out the room
and you've climbed outside. You go through a door, the map loads, and you
encounter this particular Metrocop.

"Paul Catley" wrote

> Earlier on in the game, did you insist on going to Nova Prospekt?

Sure I tried - why not
Ended up noclipping further just to discover that the Nova Prospect route
was kind of fake - what a bummer

I know it's late
Goodnight :)

- Peter

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote in message
>> >I usually pick up the can and throw it at the guy, then run through the
>> >door when he comes after me. He eventually loses interest and stops
>> >chasing you.
>> >
>> > I picked up the can and put in the trash for the first time last night.
>> > He let me past. It was very unsatisfying. I really wouldn't recommend
>> > that course of action. Better to wail the thing at the guy.
>> >
>> > Or do as a friend of mine did and wail it at him repeatedly.
>> >

>> Where EXACTLY does this happen? I started over and didn't run into this,
> but
>> I swear I did the first time and complied. I want to wail on that dork.
>
> Immediately after the second map load. Barney has just let you out the
> room
> and you've climbed outside. You go through a door, the map loads, and you
> encounter this particular Metrocop.

Thanks. Will have to give that a try now. Wake up Mr. Metrocop... time to
rise and shine just in time to go back to sleep <hehehehe>.

> "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote in message

>>> Where EXACTLY does this happen? I started over and didn't run into this,
>> but
>>> I swear I did the first time and complied. I want to wail on that dork.
>>
>> Immediately after the second map load. Barney has just let you out the
>> room
>> and you've climbed outside. You go through a door, the map loads, and you
>> encounter this particular Metrocop.
>>

> Thanks. Will have to give that a try now. Wake up Mr. Metrocop... time to
> rise and shine just in time to go back to sleep <hehehehe>.

I toss the can at him and then run like crazy. I toss stuff at all of them
in City 17 at the beginning. You can outrun them.

Toby

On 2005-01-31, Peter Lykkegaard <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Derek Mark Edding" wrote
>
>> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This is
>> fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the game
>> otherwise.
>>
> Several ways to get past him
>
> -
> -
> -
>
> -
> -
> -
>
> -
> -
> -
>
> -
> -
> -
>
> 1)
> Piss him off and let him do some beating (he can't kill you at this point)
> Hide in the doorway where you came in the hallway
> And he leaves evetually
>
> 2)
> Start throwing cans at him and run backwards and let him chase you
> When clear of the entrance you can just run through he's not that persistent
>
> 3)
> Exploit a bug in game
> Do as no2 but backpedal in stead of turning around running forwards
> If you do it correctly the NPC will hang on tp the players bounding box and
> the AI will disable
> You can drag the NPC around like this - looks kind of weird

I can't beleive no-one's suggested my technique:
Throw it over his shoulder. He *has* to let you through then, because
otherwise you can't pick the can up!

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> What fun it was, in early HL2, when the big ugly guy started saying "Pick
> up the can" and wouldn't let Mr. Freeman go through the door until he did.
>
> This reminded me of high school bullies, and the fact that I would do
> nearly anything - including getting beaten the piss out of - instead of
> cooperating.
>
> There is a way to get past this one in the game without cheating. This is
> fortunate because I don't know if I could have finished the game
> otherwise.
>
> It doesn't work instantly, but if you're persistent you can get past him.
> When you do be ready because he'll chase you all the way to the exit door,
> down halls and around corners.

My wife tried HL2 the other day (actually, it was on my Birthday, I'd just
spent X number of hours installing and decrypting it - yes, I did the
decrypting by hand with a pencil a paper - and SHE was the first one to play
it) and, at the point with the can, she, on my instructions, threw it at his
head. And he didn't do anything to her. See what wimmin get away with these
days?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote in message
> My wife tried HL2 the other day (actually, it was on my Birthday, I'd just
> spent X number of hours installing and decrypting it - yes, I did the
> decrypting by hand with a pencil a paper - and SHE was the first one to
> play it) and, at the point with the can, she, on my instructions, threw it
> at his head. And he didn't do anything to her. See what wimmin get away
> with these days?

How about that? This game can even tell when a female is playing it. Now
that's AI :) I wish my wife would play HL2 but one glance at the screen and
she gets queesy. BTW, what do you mean "decrypting by hand with a pencil a
paper"?

DaveL

DaveL wrote:

> How about that? This game can even tell when a female is playing it.
> Now that's AI :)

Nonsense, the girly throw was a dead giveaway ;)

--
Paul

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote in message
>> My wife tried HL2 the other day (actually, it was on my Birthday, I'd
>> just spent X number of hours installing and decrypting it - yes, I did
>> the decrypting by hand with a pencil a paper - and SHE was the first one
>> to play it) and, at the point with the can, she, on my instructions,
>> threw it at his head. And he didn't do anything to her. See what wimmin
>> get away with these days?
>
> How about that? This game can even tell when a female is playing it. Now
> that's AI :)

Did she start to tidy the area up?
The game knows when people start cleaning up all the mess in the maps.

Azeus wrote:
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > How about that? This game can even tell when a female is playing
it. Now
> > that's AI :)

It's not HL2 that can detect the gender of the player - it's another
feature of Steam. In fact, if you're unsure which way to lean, you
should install Steam right now and see what the cop does. That will
resolve your uncertainty.