change local admin password

I want to change the local admin password on all the computers in our
company. I remember there is a tool to do it in Windows 2000 (Resource
Kit?). Can someone tell me how I can do it?
1 answer Last reply
More about change local admin password

    Tiffany wrote:

    > I want to change the local admin password on all the computers
    > in our company. I remember there is a tool to do it in Windows
    > 2000 (Resource Kit?). Can someone tell me how I can do it?
    Hi,

    If the computers are in an Active Directory domain:

    You could do it in a computer startup script (with a GPO) that runs
    as part of the boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs
    under the system context and has admin rights.

    To avoid users being able to read the script where the password is
    stored, grant read access only for the AD group "Domain Computers"
    to the script file.

    Here is a VBScript that does the job (it will find the builtin
    administrator account regardless of it's name):

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    sNewPassword = "testpassword"

    Set oWshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    sComputer = oWshNet.ComputerName
    sAdminName = GetAdministratorName

    On Error Resume Next
    Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & sComputer & "/" & sAdminName & ",user")
    oUser.SetPassword sNewPassword
    oUser.SetInfo
    On Error Goto 0

    Function GetAdministratorName()

    Dim sUserSID, oWshNetwork, oUserAccount

    Set oWshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    Set oUserAccounts = GetObject( _
    "winmgmts://" & oWshNetwork.ComputerName & "/root/cimv2") _
    .ExecQuery("Select Name, SID from Win32_UserAccount" _
    & " WHERE Domain = '" & oWshNetwork.ComputerName & "'")

    On Error Resume Next
    For Each oUserAccount In oUserAccounts
    If Left(oUserAccount.SID, 9) = "S-1-5-21-" And _
    Right(oUserAccount.SID, 4) = "-500" Then
    GetAdministratorName = oUserAccount.Name
    Exit For
    End if
    Next
    End Function