How to delete certain files?

I have a 700 mb media file on my computer, which I obtained from a friend on
the internet, that I wish to delete. The file itself does not work when i
double click on it, instead, my cpu performence immediately drops and I have
to restart the compute. Curiously, I notice that whenever i click on it (even
right click/single left click), the problem is the same. My cpu load
increases to 100 %, and it never drops. I always have to restart the
computer. I doubt this is some virus, mainly because of the file size and
that I have experienced this with small picture files as well, such as jpg.
The even weirder thing is, when i try to delete this 700 mb large file, i
receive an error message, indicating that this program is already in use by
another application and that I cannot delete it. I have tried system restore,
but this also did not work, as this file simply refuses to be deleted, even
when i restore my system to a much earlier date, i.e. before the file was
obtained.

In short, i wish to delete this file forever from my p.c. and everytime i
try to do so, i get the same message, i.e. that it is being used by another
file or program. It is a waste of space on my hard drive, and always makes me
feel awkward, knowing that a non-functioning, resource eating file is on my
hard drive.

I will explain in detail exactly all i know about this file.

It is a windows media file. Whether i double click on it, single click, or
right click, the result is the same (massive drop in performance, forcing me
to reboot). As long as i dont point my mouse near it, the performance of my
p.c. seems fine. Whenever i double click on this file, the windows media
interface starts to load, but no image (followed by horrific drop in cpu
performence). I do not receive any error messages, unless I try to delete the
file. System restore does not work. Safe Mode does not work. I notice this
same problem with a picture file I have, which does happen to work, but the
cpu performance drops shortly after.

I wish to delete this file, and would appreciate any suggestions from
anybody. If you wish to email me, please do so to alphaprima@hotmail.com

I very much appreciate any suggestions/explanations/questions by anyone.

I doubt this is a major problem for the veterans, but for me this is a very
frustrating issue.

Regards,

Ron.

It would be best to boot into Safe Mode, search for the folder,
then delete it.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

How to Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ron" wrote:

| I have a 700 mb media file on my computer, which I obtained from a friend on
| the internet, that I wish to delete. The file itself does not work when i
| double click on it, instead, my cpu performence immediately drops and I have
| to restart the compute. Curiously, I notice that whenever i click on it (even
| right click/single left click), the problem is the same. My cpu load
| increases to 100 %, and it never drops. I always have to restart the
| computer. I doubt this is some virus, mainly because of the file size and
| that I have experienced this with small picture files as well, such as jpg.
| The even weirder thing is, when i try to delete this 700 mb large file, i
| receive an error message, indicating that this program is already in use by
| another application and that I cannot delete it. I have tried system restore,
| but this also did not work, as this file simply refuses to be deleted, even
| when i restore my system to a much earlier date, i.e. before the file was
| obtained.
|
| In short, i wish to delete this file forever from my p.c. and everytime i
| try to do so, i get the same message, i.e. that it is being used by another
| file or program. It is a waste of space on my hard drive, and always makes me
| feel awkward, knowing that a non-functioning, resource eating file is on my
| hard drive.
|
| I will explain in detail exactly all i know about this file.
|
| It is a windows media file. Whether i double click on it, single click, or
| right click, the result is the same (massive drop in performance, forcing me
| to reboot). As long as i dont point my mouse near it, the performance of my
| p.c. seems fine. Whenever i double click on this file, the windows media
| interface starts to load, but no image (followed by horrific drop in cpu
| performence). I do not receive any error messages, unless I try to delete the
| file. System restore does not work. Safe Mode does not work. I notice this
| same problem with a picture file I have, which does happen to work, but the
| cpu performance drops shortly after.
|
| I very much appreciate any suggestions/explanations/questions by anyone.
|
| I doubt this is a major problem for the veterans, but for me this is a very
| frustrating issue.
|
| Regards,
|
| Ron.

Hi thanks for that reply. I read the website on how to delete files, but the
problem is, the file name is called "The Ring 2.avi" so every time i try to
delete it, such as "del The Ring 2.avi" it says file "the" not found.

If i delete a single filename that only is a single name, it works. But if i
try to delete any file that has multiple words and a space inbetween, it
doesn't work. What must i do to delete a file name with multiple words with
spaces in between, such as "The users guide.doc" or something like this?

Thanks

--- Emperor --- wrote:
> [...]
> forcing me
> > | to reboot). As long as i dont point my mouse near it, the
> performance of my
> > | p.c. seems fine. Whenever i double click on this file, the
> windows media
> > | interface starts to load, but no image (followed by horrific drop
> in cpu
> > | performence). I do not receive any error messages, unless I try
> to delete the
> > | file. System restore does not work. Safe Mode does not work. I
> notice this
> > | same problem with a picture file I have, which does happen to
> work, but the
> > | cpu performance drops shortly after.
> > |
> > | I very much appreciate any suggestions/explanations/questions by
> anyone.
> > |
> > | I doubt this is a major problem for the veterans, but for me this

Hi

Try here http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm
This utility got rid of a few "undeletable" files on my P.C. Warning
Files deleted using this DO NOT go into recycle bin.
Regards

CReWdog

--
CReWdog

Alan

--- Emperor --- wrote:
> [...]
>>|
>>| I will explain in detail exactly all i know about this file.
>>|
>>| It is a windows media file. Whether i double click on it, single click, or
>>| right click, the result is the same (massive drop in performance, forcing me
>>| to reboot). As long as i dont point my mouse near it, the performance of my
>>| p.c. seems fine. Whenever i double click on this file, the windows media
>>| interface starts to load, but no image (followed by horrific drop in cpu
>>| performence). I do not receive any error messages, unless I try to delete the
>>| file. System restore does not work. Safe Mode does not work. I notice this
>>| same problem with a picture file I have, which does happen to work, but the
>>| cpu performance drops shortly after.
>>|
>>| I very much appreciate any suggestions/explanations/questions by anyone.
>>|
>>| I doubt this is a major problem for the veterans, but for me this is a very

To obtain the actual name of the file that you will need to
delete via the DEL command, enter the command DIR *.avi in CMD
prompt to get a list of avi files. Look carefully at the name of
the file you want to delete and use it in the DEL command.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:10:03 -0700, --- Emperor ---
<Emperor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin:

>Hi thanks for that reply. I read the website on how to delete files, but the
>problem is, the file name is called "The Ring 2.avi" so every time i try to
>delete it, such as "del The Ring 2.avi" it says file "the" not found.
>
>If i delete a single filename that only is a single name, it works. But if i
>try to delete any file that has multiple words and a space inbetween, it
>doesn't work. What must i do to delete a file name with multiple words with
>spaces in between, such as "The users guide.doc" or something like this?

Put quotes around the file name:
DEL "The Ring 2.avi"

del "The ring 2.avi" should work.