Upgrade 9500 Pro to ?

Well, I've got the itch to upgrade. I think the majority of my components
are fine for quite awhile.
P4 3.0 (the 512 cache version)
Intel 875 Pbz main board
1.5 gig Corsair RAM
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
and as stated, an ATI 9500 Pro.
I'm considering a 9800 Pro or NVidia 6600 GT (AGP)
Opinions?
Thanks
Mark Miller
18 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 9500

    Mark D. Miller wrote:
    > Well, I've got the itch to upgrade. I think the majority of my components
    > are fine for quite awhile.
    > P4 3.0 (the 512 cache version)
    > Intel 875 Pbz main board
    > 1.5 gig Corsair RAM
    > Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    > and as stated, an ATI 9500 Pro.
    > I'm considering a 9800 Pro or NVidia 6600 GT (AGP)

    I think you would be better off saving another month or two and buying
    yourself a 6800GT or X800Pro/XL.An upgrade from 9500PRO to 9800PRO
    wouldn't be noticeable,besides you can probably mod your 9500PRO to a 9700.

    Glitch wrote:
    > I think you would be better off saving another month or two and buying
    > yourself a 6800GT or X800Pro/XL.An upgrade from 9500PRO to 9800PRO
    > wouldn't be noticeable,

    Most tests I've seen have shown the 9800 Pro to be 50-80% faster than a 9500
    Pro

    Given that a 9500 Pro is pretty stretched in newer games, I would have said
    thats noticeable to the extent that many games become playable when before
    they would have been unplayable.

    Ben

    I have owned a 9500, 9500 pro, 9800, 9800 pro, and an X800 pro. If
    you have the money the X800 is outstanding, if not then the 9800 pro is
    a very good card. My Saphire quit after a few months, thus the X800
    pro. BTW, a 9500 pro is darn near a 9700 the only difference is the core
    clock speed and memory speed. Really a 9500 pro should be able to play
    most modern game with the exception of FarCry, which the 9800 pro just
    barely managed to run at any appreciable detailed settings. I am sure
    the 9500 pro can run Doom 3, and should be able to run HL2 on low detail
    seeting, but I have not tried that combination to be able to say first
    hand. Get the X800 pro.

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Glitch wrote:
    >
    >>I think you would be better off saving another month or two and buying
    >>yourself a 6800GT or X800Pro/XL.An upgrade from 9500PRO to 9800PRO
    >>wouldn't be noticeable,
    >

    > Most tests I've seen have shown the 9800 Pro to be 50-80% faster than a 9500
    > Pro
    >
    > Given that a 9500 Pro is pretty stretched in newer games, I would have said
    > thats noticeable to the extent that many games become playable when before
    > they would have been unplayable.
    >
    > Ben

    The 9800pro is nowhere near that big of an upgrade. My brother went from a
    9500pro to a 9800 nonpro and the difference was noticeable but not huge.
    Even overclcoking to 9800pro speeds showed that such an upgrade isn't
    worthwhile, pretty much just gave a resolution jump. Ben you might be
    thinking of a 9600pro, that's inferior to a 9500pro despite being newer, if
    I remember right the 9500 had the same bus width as the 9800 but the 9600
    had half...

    Mike

    "Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Glitch wrote:
    >> I think you would be better off saving another month or two and buying
    >> yourself a 6800GT or X800Pro/XL.An upgrade from 9500PRO to 9800PRO
    >> wouldn't be noticeable,
    >
    > Most tests I've seen have shown the 9800 Pro to be 50-80% faster than a
    > 9500 Pro
    >
    > Given that a 9500 Pro is pretty stretched in newer games, I would have
    > said thats noticeable to the extent that many games become playable when
    > before they would have been unplayable.
    >
    > Ben

    Really a 9500 pro should be able to play
    > most modern game with the exception of FarCry, which the 9800 pro just
    > barely managed to run at any appreciable detailed settings. I am sure the
    > 9500 pro can run Doom 3, and should be able to run HL2 on low detail
    > seeting, but I have not tried that combination to be able to say first
    > hand. Get the X800 pro.

    A 9800 Pro is a big jump over a 9500 Pro. The 9500 Pro is a 128bit card with
    275/275 clockings. The 9800 Pro is a 256bit card with 380/340 clockings.
    Bandwidth of 8.8 vs 21.8 Gb/sec. Hardly a minor difference. My Barton 3200
    runs FarCry at 1280x1024, FSAA and high details with no issues or lags or
    slowdowns.

    yeah I knew someone would stick up for the 9800 pro. Like I said
    it's a good card, but with all the settings turned all the way up I saw
    some lag with FarCry. Granted, this is with a KT400 chipset, a XP1700 OC
    to 1.8 GHz, and 1 GB ram. YMMV. I agree, it is a good card, thus the
    high retail value it still commands even after all these months. I wish
    mine had not had issues or I would have kept it. Maybe when they drop a
    little in price I will try another one. My son has my X800 pro for EQ
    II, and I am back to square one with the 9500 np softmodded to 9700 !

    Augustus wrote:

    > Really a 9500 pro should be able to play
    >
    >>most modern game with the exception of FarCry, which the 9800 pro just
    >>barely managed to run at any appreciable detailed settings. I am sure the
    >>9500 pro can run Doom 3, and should be able to run HL2 on low detail
    >>seeting, but I have not tried that combination to be able to say first
    >>hand. Get the X800 pro.
    >

    > A 9800 Pro is a big jump over a 9500 Pro. The 9500 Pro is a 128bit card with
    > 275/275 clockings. The 9800 Pro is a 256bit card with 380/340 clockings.
    > Bandwidth of 8.8 vs 21.8 Gb/sec. Hardly a minor difference. My Barton 3200
    > runs FarCry at 1280x1024, FSAA and high details with no issues or lags or
    > slowdowns.

    what resolution ?

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:48:45 -0500, farmuse <farmuse@cows.net> wrote:

    > yeah I knew someone would stick up for the 9800 pro. Like I said
    >it's a good card, but with all the settings turned all the way up I saw
    >some lag with FarCry. Granted, this is with a KT400 chipset, a XP1700 OC
    >to 1.8 GHz, and 1 GB ram. YMMV. I agree, it is a good card, thus the
    >high retail value it still commands even after all these months. I wish
    >mine had not had issues or I would have kept it. Maybe when they drop a
    >little in price I will try another one. My son has my X800 pro for EQ
    >II, and I am back to square one with the 9500 np softmodded to 9700 !

    Why 9500 np softmodded to 9700
    Why not 9500 np softmodded to 9800

    - how many pipes have you managed to open ?

    >Augustus wrote:

    >> Really a 9500 pro should be able to play

    >>>most modern game with the exception of FarCry, which the 9800 pro just
    >>>barely managed to run at any appreciable detailed settings. I am sure the
    >>>9500 pro can run Doom 3, and should be able to run HL2 on low detail
    >>>seeting, but I have not tried that combination to be able to say first
    >>>hand. Get the X800 pro.

    I posted this in June last year :

    This card I'm on is one of the said 9500np's and fly's through Far Cry
    on full spec and at ' full welly ', no probs.

    Now then, for those who see the frequent posts quoting FarCry I've
    often wondered what % of people who can't get it to play properly, or
    even at a reasonable resolution / speed are running less than 1GiG of
    memory at a reasonable bandwidth.

    It's one hell of an engine but it seems to me that this game, a
    graphical leader amongst equals, needs at least a GiG to play on any
    MOBO.

    >> A 9800 Pro is a big jump over a 9500 Pro. The 9500 Pro is a 128bit card with
    >> 275/275 clockings. The 9800 Pro is a 256bit card with 380/340 clockings.
    >> Bandwidth of 8.8 vs 21.8 Gb/sec. Hardly a minor difference. My Barton 3200
    >> runs FarCry at 1280x1024, FSAA and high details with no issues or lags or
    >> slowdowns.

    The above applies to D3 & HL

    ¸ô¶ó

    all 8 pipes open, the core OC to maybe 310 but the ram is the
    limiting factor, start getting artifacts like odd psychedelic squares on
    the grass lawns of BF1942, and some texture tearing, really bizarre
    looking structures. I believe I had it at 310/280 last time I OC the
    9500 np. So, softmod to 9800 ? never heard of that before. The 9800 is a
    different core. I do agree, 1 GB ram makes a huge difference in FarCry.

    Mike wrote:
    > The 9800pro is nowhere near that big of an upgrade. My brother went
    > from a 9500pro to a 9800 nonpro and the difference was noticeable but
    > not huge. Even overclcoking to 9800pro speeds showed that such an
    > upgrade isn't worthwhile, pretty much just gave a resolution jump. Ben you
    > might be thinking of a 9600pro, that's inferior to a 9500pro
    > despite being newer, if I remember right the 9500 had the same bus
    > width as the 9800 but the 9600 had half...

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030306/

    Ben

    Mark D. Miller wrote:
    > Well, I've got the itch to upgrade. I think the majority of my
    > components are fine for quite awhile.
    > P4 3.0 (the 512 cache version)
    > Intel 875 Pbz main board
    > 1.5 gig Corsair RAM
    > Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    > and as stated, an ATI 9500 Pro.
    > I'm considering a 9800 Pro or NVidia 6600 GT (AGP)
    > Opinions?

    If you can afford it, maybe an X800XL? Dunno if they do AGP ones... Sees
    to be a good price/performance and a significant jump on the 9500 Pro.

    Ben

    Hey, thanks to all for the lively and informative discussion. I am impressed
    by everyone's knowledge and willingness to share their opinion.
    To be honest, I'm in a fortunate position. Money is always a concern of
    course, but getting the best for my dollar is more important. Having said
    that, I would be interested in trying to softmod my card to get the 9700
    level of performance. If someone could provide a link to a place that could
    walk me through that process I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks again everybody!
    Mark Miller
    > Mark D. Miller wrote:
    >> Well, I've got the itch to upgrade. I think the majority of my
    >> components are fine for quite awhile.
    >> P4 3.0 (the 512 cache version)
    >> Intel 875 Pbz main board
    >> 1.5 gig Corsair RAM
    >> Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    >> and as stated, an ATI 9500 Pro.
    >> I'm considering a 9800 Pro or NVidia 6600 GT (AGP)
    >> Opinions?
    >

    > If you can afford it, maybe an X800XL? Dunno if they do AGP ones... Sees
    > to be a good price/performance and a significant jump on the 9500 Pro.
    >
    > Ben

    try here
    http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/

    Smiffy

    "Mark D. Miller" <mark.miller22@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hey, thanks to all for the lively and informative discussion. I am
    > impressed by everyone's knowledge and willingness to share their opinion.
    > To be honest, I'm in a fortunate position. Money is always a concern of
    > course, but getting the best for my dollar is more important. Having said
    > that, I would be interested in trying to softmod my card to get the 9700
    > level of performance. If someone could provide a link to a place that
    > could walk me through that process I'd appreciate it.
    > Thanks again everybody!
    > Mark Miller
    > "Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I went from a 9500pro to a 9800pro. It cost me 200$ at the time. I have
    not regretted it at all. I installed it on a modest system.

    AMD 2000+ (266)
    768 pc2100 ram
    40 gig HD

    Games like Doom3 went from playable to very playable at 1024x768. I then
    made a second system with an:

    AMD 3000+ (333)
    1024 pc3200 ram (400)
    80 gig HD

    The improvement was very nice on the 9800 pro. All the games out to date
    run extremely well. Nothing is overclocked and using generic cpu coolers
    bought for less than 10$. The 9500 pro is on the first stated pc. I play
    often on a LAN and it can certainly hang in there. Although to reduce any
    performance on lan games, I sometimes will reduce down to 800x600. Usually
    leaving most games at default settings. D3 I reduce very slightly on the
    9500 pro. However, I know its going to become dated very soon. I will then
    resort it to an entertainment pc.

    HTH,
    Sl
    "Mark D. Miller" <mark.miller22@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hey, thanks to all for the lively and informative discussion. I am
    > impressed by everyone's knowledge and willingness to share their opinion.
    > To be honest, I'm in a fortunate position. Money is always a concern of
    > course, but getting the best for my dollar is more important. Having said
    > that, I would be interested in trying to softmod my card to get the 9700
    > level of performance. If someone could provide a link to a place that
    > could walk me through that process I'd appreciate it.
    > Thanks again everybody!
    > Mark Miller
    > "Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Mark D. Miller wrote:
    >>> Well, I've got the itch to upgrade. I think the majority of my
    >>> components are fine for quite awhile.
    >>> P4 3.0 (the 512 cache version)
    >>> Intel 875 Pbz main board
    >>> 1.5 gig Corsair RAM
    >>> Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    >>> and as stated, an ATI 9500 Pro.
    >>> I'm considering a 9800 Pro or NVidia 6600 GT (AGP)
    >>> Opinions?
    >>

    >> If you can afford it, maybe an X800XL? Dunno if they do AGP ones...
    >> Sees to be a good price/performance and a significant jump on the 9500
    >> Pro.
    >>
    >> Ben
    >> --
    >> A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
    >> Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
    >> I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Glitch wrote:
    > besides you can probably mod your 9500PRO to a
    > 9700.

    No, only the 9500 np is moddable. The 9500 Pro already has the 8 pipes, the
    memory is 128 bit, can't be modded.

    --
    Thomas
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > The 9800pro is nowhere near that big of an upgrade. My brother went
    > from a 9500pro to a 9800 nonpro and the difference was noticeable but
    > not huge. Even overclcoking to 9800pro speeds showed that such an
    > upgrade isn't worthwhile, pretty much just gave a resolution jump. Ben you
    > might be thinking of a 9600pro, that's inferior to a 9500pro
    > despite being newer, if I remember right the 9500 had the same bus
    > width as the 9800 but the 9600 had half...

    Like the link Ben gave us probably says, the 9500Pro and the 9800/9700 have
    8 pipes, but the 9500Pro has 128 bit buswidth, against the 9700/9800's 256
    bit.
    --
    Thomas
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    John Smith wrote:
    > try here
    > http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/

    This is for the 9500 NON PRO, you cant do any mod to the 9500Pro...

    --
    Thomas
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Mark D. Miller wrote:
    > Having said that, I would be interested in trying to softmod my card
    > to get the 9700 level of performance. If someone could provide a link
    > to a place that could walk me through that process I'd appreciate it.
    > Thanks again everybody!

    There is, unfortunately, no such mod :-( Only the 9500 non-pro is moddable
    to a 9700.

    --
    Thomas

Radeon ATI Graphics