Jpeg file locked, can't seem to unlock it

a b 8 Security
June 11, 2005 4:04:02 PM

I am the administrator of my machine, and there's no network security on it,
just local accounts. I have a jpeg file that I cannot open, copy, delete,
etc, because it says ACCESS DENIED, and that the file is locked and needs to
be unlocked. However, there is no denotation of the file being locked in
it's properties. Is there anything I can do?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2005 6:18:54 PM

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3C76580E-4281-46C0-9051-CC6F6629F91D@microsoft.com,
stephen.accetta@honeywell.com
<stephenaccettahoneywellcom@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am the administrator of my machine, and there's no network security on
> it, just local accounts. I have a jpeg file that I cannot open, copy,
> delete, etc, because it says ACCESS DENIED, and that the file is locked
> and needs to be unlocked. However, there is no denotation of the file
> being locked in it's properties. Is there anything I can do?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2005 6:18:55 PM

I tried that, there's no SECURITY tab, and going to the SHARING tab and
trying to share it does the same thing...

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3C76580E-4281-46C0-9051-CC6F6629F91D@microsoft.com,
> stephen.accetta@honeywell.com
> <stephenaccettahoneywellcom@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I am the administrator of my machine, and there's no network security on
> > it, just local accounts. I have a jpeg file that I cannot open, copy,
> > delete, etc, because it says ACCESS DENIED, and that the file is locked
> > and needs to be unlocked. However, there is no denotation of the file
> > being locked in it's properties. Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 12:01:47 AM

stephen.accetta@honeywell.com wrote:
> I tried that, there's no SECURITY tab, and going to the
> SHARING tab and trying to share it does the same thing...

That's because you didn't turn off Simple File Sharing as noted
in the article Wes referred you to. Take a look here for more
information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/

Quoting from the article:
How to turn off simple file sharing
To disable simple file sharing, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then
click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple
file sharing (Recommended) check box.
4. Click OK.

Keep in mind that in order to disable SFS in Windows XP Home
Edition you will have to start you computer in Safe Mode.

Good luck

Nepatsfan
!