AV programs

a b 8 Security
June 11, 2005 7:35:28 PM

I’m looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
comment), currently I’m using AVG, which I feel doesn’t do a very good
detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
deleting infected files.

So I’m hoping to find something better.
Any suggestions will be appreciated,

Thank you

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720241

More about : programs

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2005 7:35:29 PM

RUMPLE wrote:
> I’m looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
> comment), currently I’m using AVG, which I feel doesn’t do a very good
> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
> deleting infected files.
>
> So I’m hoping to find something better.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated,

I personally like Avast! and AVG..

However, you have other choices (as any Google search would have shown
you..)

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://www.grisoft.com/

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)

Untested (by me):
eTrust EZ Antivirus ($29.95 and up)
https://www2.my-etrust.com/commerce/buy.it.cfm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>RUMPLE wrote:
>> I’m looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
>> comment), currently I’m using AVG, which I feel doesn’t do a very
>good
>> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
>> deleting infected files.
>>
>> So I’m hoping to find something better.
>> Any suggestions will be appreciated,
>
>I personally like Avast! and AVG..
>
>However, you have other choices (as any Google search would have
shown

>you..)
>
> avast! (Free and up)
>
> AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
> http://www.grisoft.com/
>
> AntiVir (Free and up)
> http://www.free-av.com/
>
> RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
>
> Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~ and up)
> http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
>
> Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~.95 and up)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html
>
> Panda Antivirus Titanium (~.95 and up)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/
> (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)
>
> McAfee VirusScan (~ and up)
> http://www.mcafee.com/
>
> Trend Micro (~.95 and up)
> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
> (Free Online Scanner:
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)
>
>Untested (by me):
> eTrust EZ Antivirus (.95 and up)
> https://www2.my-etrust.com/commerce/buy.it.cfm

Thank you very much :p

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720532
Related resources
June 12, 2005 7:05:02 AM

Try "AntiVir"...google it.

"RUMPLE" wrote:

> I’m looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
> comment), currently I’m using AVG, which I feel doesn’t do a very good
> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
> deleting infected files.
>
> So I’m hoping to find something better.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated,
>
> Thank you

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720241

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 2:01:03 PM

AVG catches 56% of virii and Avast isn't much better spend the money and buy
NAV or some other commercial AV product it's the one thing thats worth it.
Also if you want a good Anti-Spyware program you can get Webroot's Spysweeper
v cheap through the shareware (is it WUGNET) section of microsoft.com there
is a discount code there too. I run NAV and SpySweeper & the XPSP2 firewall
and my pc is connected to the net 24/7 and haven't had an issue in a long
time...

Brian

"RUMPLE" wrote:

> I’m looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
> comment), currently I’m using AVG, which I feel doesn’t do a very good
> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
> deleting infected files.
>
> So I’m hoping to find something better.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated,
>
> Thank you

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720241

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 5:12:26 PM

"Virii" is not a word, in either American or British English. The plural
form of Virus is Viruses.

Bobby

"Loki-uk" <Lokiuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> AVG catches 56% of virii and Avast isn't much better spend the money and
> buy
> NAV or some other commercial AV product it's the one thing thats worth it.
> Also if you want a good Anti-Spyware program you can get Webroot's
> Spysweeper
> v cheap through the shareware (is it WUGNET) section of microsoft.com
> there
> is a discount code there too. I run NAV and SpySweeper & the XPSP2
> firewall
> and my pc is connected to the net 24/7 and haven't had an issue in a long
> time...
>
> Brian
>
> "RUMPLE" wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
>> comment), currently I'm using AVG, which I feel doesn't do a very good
>> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
>> deleting infected files.
>>
>> So I'm hoping to find something better.
>> Any suggestions will be appreciated,
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720241

June 12, 2005 5:14:58 PM

You can get ETrust AV free for one year at
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
This is an excellent program and a great deal.

I'm often baffled at the popularity of AVG. I tested it with some clients,
and have found it to be a distinctly inferior product especially weak at
cleaning or removing infections.
--

"RUMPLE" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
> comment), currently I'm using AVG, which I feel doesn't do a very good
> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
> deleting infected files.
>
> So I'm hoping to find something better.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated,
>
> Thank you

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 7:06:29 PM

Actually according to the latest numbers AVG is about 93% effective versus
Avast 95%.
This is a lot better than some Purchased programs and they have a smaller
footprint,run quickly without wasting resources.
I use ZoneAlarm for a firewall,AVG for virus detection/removal.Lavasoft's
Ad-Aware SE personal,Spybot search&destroy as well as CounterSpy for adware
etc..............and I have never ever had a virus/trojan get loose in my
system.
In the past 10 years I have had exactly 2 virus.....the first one was while
I was using Norton badly infected my system.The 2nd one last year never got
past AVG and as such caused no damage whatsoever.
Whichever you decide to go with be sure to keep it updated...wether it be an
anti virus program or anti spyware they always need their definition files
be kept up to date to work properly.
peterk

the problem
"Loki-uk" <Lokiuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> AVG catches 56% of virii and Avast isn't much better spend the money and
> buy
> NAV or some other commercial AV product it's the one thing thats worth it.
> Also if you want a good Anti-Spyware program you can get Webroot's
> Spysweeper
> v cheap through the shareware (is it WUGNET) section of microsoft.com
> there
> is a discount code there too. I run NAV and SpySweeper & the XPSP2
> firewall
> and my pc is connected to the net 24/7 and haven't had an issue in a long
> time...
>
> Brian
>
> "RUMPLE" wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
>> comment), currently I'm using AVG, which I feel doesn't do a very good
>> detection job and when it does it has problems cleaning or even
>> deleting infected files.
>>
>> So I'm hoping to find something better.
>> Any suggestions will be appreciated,
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-AV-programs...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720241

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 8:54:13 PM

Loki-uk wrote:
> AVG catches 56% of virii and Avast isn't much better spend the money
> and buy NAV or some other commercial AV product it's the one thing
> thats worth it. Also if you want a good Anti-Spyware program you can
> get Webroot's Spysweeper v cheap through the shareware (is it WUGNET)
> section of microsoft.com there is a discount code there too. I run
> NAV and SpySweeper & the XPSP2 firewall and my pc is connected to the
> net 24/7 and haven't had an issue in a long time...

Where did you get the percentages?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan...

I found these numbers on scanner effectiveness.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_0...

> Loki-uk wrote:
>> AVG catches 56% of virii and Avast isn't much better spend the money
>> and buy NAV or some other commercial AV product it's the one thing
>> thats worth it. Also if you want a good Anti-Spyware program you can
>> get Webroot's Spysweeper v cheap through the shareware (is it WUGNET)
>> section of microsoft.com there is a discount code there too. I run
>> NAV and SpySweeper & the XPSP2 firewall and my pc is connected to the
>> net 24/7 and haven't had an issue in a long time...
>
> Where did you get the percentages?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

a b 8 Security
June 13, 2005 7:04:14 AM

Fitz wrote:
> I found these numbers on scanner effectiveness.
> http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_0...

Thanks Fitz..
Been looking through that page since you sent it to me.
Let me warn the rest of you - that web page does not look nice in Firefox...
Had to revert to Internet Explorer to get some of the table to look right.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Looks like Kapersky and Panda kick some buttocks.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:01:03 -0700, "Loki-uk"

>AVG catches 56% of virii and Avast isn't much better spend the money and buy
>NAV or some other commercial AV product it's the one thing thats worth it.

Blind faith in retail feeware is misplaced. "Norton" contains
commercial malware, in the form of product activation that will deny
you service if it "thinks" you are breaking their license terms.

That's user-hostile at the best of times, but unforgivable in the
context of malware defence. What if you have to manually chase
unknown stealth files, and break Norton's vandorware by mistake?

>Also if you want a good Anti-Spyware program you can get Webroot's Spysweeper
>v cheap through the shareware (is it WUGNET) section of microsoft.com

Feeware av may or may not be worth the money, but rarely are feeware
scanners for commercial malware (cm) as good as the free stallwarts
AdAware, Spybot and MS's AntiSpyware Beta. In fact, there's a swathe
of feeware anti-cm that is bogus; typically they false-positive like
crazy, demand payment before they will clean, and still let through
their vendor's buddyware anyway.

>> I’m looking for a reliable, free, AV program. I used Avast (no
>> comment), currently I’m using AVG, which I feel doesn’t do a very good
>> detection job

It's weak on bots, and like most av, misses many or most commercial
malware. For the latter, you need dedicated scanners, preferably more
than one, though you should allow only one or none to run underfoot.

>> and when it does it has problems cleaning or even deleting infected files.

That's going to be true for any av that is trying to tackle malware
that is already running.

>> So I’m hoping to find something better.
>> Any suggestions will be appreciated,

If you want to spend money, I'd consider Kaspersky (best reputation
for effectiveness), NOD32 (lightest on resources, so good for older
PCs), and anything that offers a bootable solution for formally
scanning NTFS. Few if any do.

I'd spend no money on anti-cm scanners.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!