Pop ups

I have been getting popups the last few days. My default homepage is Yahoo,
and as soon as it logs on I get at least one popup. I get them at various
times throughout the day. I also am getting shortcuts from these popups save
on my desktop.

I have Norton Internet Security & Yahoo Popup blocker, but neither has
helped. I need to find where these are coming from or loading
3 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    pxriet wrote:

    > I have been getting popups the last few days. My default homepage is
    > Yahoo,
    > and as soon as it logs on I get at least one popup. I get them at
    > various
    > times throughout the day. I also am getting shortcuts from these
    > popups save on my desktop.
    >
    > I have Norton Internet Security & Yahoo Popup blocker, but neither has
    > helped. I need to find where these are coming from or loading

    Go through these malware removal steps systematically, doing everything
    with updated tools in Safe Mode:

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
    malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe
    Mode. You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on
    my website here:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
    website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
    HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
    with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    pxriet wrote:
    > I have been getting popups the last few days. My default homepage is
    > Yahoo, and as soon as it logs on I get at least one popup. I get
    > them at various times throughout the day. I also am getting
    > shortcuts from these popups save on my desktop.
    >
    > I have Norton Internet Security & Yahoo Popup blocker, but neither has
    > helped. I need to find where these are coming from or loading

    Your default page is Yahoo and you are getting popups.. Shocker. *grin*

    First - make sure you have NOT installed "Rogue AntiSpyware". There are
    people out there who created AntiSpyware products that actually install
    spyware of their own! You need to avoid these:

    Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

    Also, you can always visit this site..
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    For more updated information.

    Then, my suggestion is that you at least install the first five of
    these: (Install, Run, Update, Scan with..)

    Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

    Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
    http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

    SpywareBlaster (Free!)
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )

    IE-SPYAD (Free!)
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

    CWShredder (Free!)
    http://www.softbasket.com/download/s_8114.shtml

    Hijack This! (Free)
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    ( Tutorial: http://hjt.wizardsofwebsites.com/ )

    ToolbarCop (Free!)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

    Browser Security Tests
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

    Popup Tester
    http://www.popuptest.com/

    The Cleaner (49.95 and up)
    http://www.moosoft.com/

    If used properly, you should have a malware free system now. The last
    two of the first five I suggest you install are immunization applications.
    None of these programs (in these editions) run in the background unless you
    TELL them to. The space they take up and how easy they are to use greatly
    makes up for any inconvenience you may be feeling.

    Unfortunately, although that will lessen your popups on the Internet/while
    you are online, it won't eliminate them. I have looked at a lot of options,
    seen a lot of them used in production with people who seem to attract popups
    like a plague, and I only have a few other suggestions that should help.
    This one ends up serving double duty (search engine and popup stopper
    in one):

    The Google Toolbar (Free!)
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Yeah - it adds a bar to your Internet Explorer - but it's a useful one. You
    can search from there anytime with one of the best search engines on the
    planet (IMO.) And the fact it stops most popups - wow - BONUS! If you
    don't like that suggestion, then I am just going to say you go to
    www.google.com and search for other options.

    Please notice that Windows XP SP2 does help stop popups as well.

    Another option is to use an alternative Web browser. I suggest
    "Mozilla Firefox", as it has some great features and is very easy to use:

    Mozilla Firefox

    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    > Unfortunately, although that will lessen your popups on the Internet/while
    > you are online, it won't eliminate them. I have looked at a lot of
    > options,
    > seen a lot of them used in production with people who seem to attract
    > popups
    > like a plague, and I only have a few other suggestions that should help.
    > This one ends up serving double duty (search engine and popup stopper
    > in one):
    >
    > The Google Toolbar (Free!)
    > http://toolbar.google.com/

    I absolutely agree that this little add-in is wonderful. I haven't seen a
    popup in over a year!

    > Please notice that Windows XP SP2 does help stop popups as well.

    And if you decide to use a 3rd party popup blocker (like the Google
    Toolbar), remember to turn off the popup blocker in IE so that in
    circumstances where you want to allow a site to give you popups, you don't
    have to set it in 2 places.

Windows XP