Setting permissions in Regedit

I had a problem downloading some hardware updates from Windows Update and
received the 80070005 error message. MS gives instructions on how to fix
this using Regedit and although I followed the instructions fully, nothing
has changed. I note that it is necessary for all users to have full access
in order for the fix to work (I am the only user of this machine) but my own
user name setting gives me Read access and when I try to change this a new
user line is entered with the old one with Read access only is still there.
The result is that I still do not have the right to change files on my own
machine (I can't even delete the needed System files in Windows Explorer).
Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

--
dennisthehun2@hotmail.com

LM

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

I think you don't need to play with "regedit". If you have firewall and
antivirus running, disable them temporarely and right after you downloaded
and istalled what ever you downloaded enable the firewall and anti virus
back.