XP Home Administrator Account

got a new HP Pavilion PC preloaded with XP Home. Only one account on it, and
this has admin rights. I suspect that an Administrator account exists,
because I can't create one... nor can I log in as it must have password set
and I don't know what it is. I suppose the only way to find out what this is
is to go back to the retailer/maufacturer who installed it?

Also, this original preloaded account I have now downgraded to limited, and
create other accoutns with Admin rights... but these new accounts with admin
rights can not open all the files... ie those that belong to the original
user.. the one wiht admin rights that I've now downgraded.

Is this normal for XP Home? Is there a resource somwhere that explains all
this?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about home administrator account

    If you are able to create new account with admin rights, you can edit or
    remove the pre-installed acount.

    "Mikek13" wrote:

    > got a new HP Pavilion PC preloaded with XP Home. Only one account on it, and
    > this has admin rights. I suspect that an Administrator account exists,
    > because I can't create one... nor can I log in as it must have password set
    > and I don't know what it is. I suppose the only way to find out what this is
    > is to go back to the retailer/maufacturer who installed it?
    >
    > Also, this original preloaded account I have now downgraded to limited, and
    > create other accoutns with Admin rights... but these new accounts with admin
    > rights can not open all the files... ie those that belong to the original
    > user.. the one wiht admin rights that I've now downgraded.
    >
    > Is this normal for XP Home? Is there a resource somwhere that explains all
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Dear Im - you might be right... but it doesn't seem so. I'm familiar with XP
    Pro and Win2k and in both of these I can do as you say... but there is no
    Administrator account shown in the Users applet. But if I try and log in as
    administrator with no password I get a box that says "account restrictions
    are preventing log on " or somethign like that, whilst if I try a password
    (and bear in mind I don't know it) I get the more standard "the system could
    not log you on".

    There's clearly more to this....

    "lm" wrote:

    > If you are able to create new account with admin rights, you can edit or
    > remove the pre-installed acount.
    >
    > "Mikek13" wrote:
    >
    > > got a new HP Pavilion PC preloaded with XP Home. Only one account on it, and
    > > this has admin rights. I suspect that an Administrator account exists,
    > > because I can't create one... nor can I log in as it must have password set
    > > and I don't know what it is. I suppose the only way to find out what this is
    > > is to go back to the retailer/maufacturer who installed it?
    > >
    > > Also, this original preloaded account I have now downgraded to limited, and
    > > create other accoutns with Admin rights... but these new accounts with admin
    > > rights can not open all the files... ie those that belong to the original
    > > user.. the one wiht admin rights that I've now downgraded.
    > >
    > > Is this normal for XP Home? Is there a resource somwhere that explains all
    > > this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    The Administrator account is hidden and locked in XP Home. It is only
    accessible in Safe Mode.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm
    "Mikek13" <Mikek13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear Im - you might be right... but it doesn't seem so. I'm familiar with
    > XP
    > Pro and Win2k and in both of these I can do as you say... but there is no
    > Administrator account shown in the Users applet. But if I try and log in
    > as
    > administrator with no password I get a box that says "account restrictions
    > are preventing log on " or somethign like that, whilst if I try a password
    > (and bear in mind I don't know it) I get the more standard "the system
    > could
    > not log you on".
    >
    > There's clearly more to this....
    >
    > "lm" wrote:
    >
    >> If you are able to create new account with admin rights, you can edit or
    >> remove the pre-installed acount.
    >>
    >> "Mikek13" wrote:
    >>
    >> > got a new HP Pavilion PC preloaded with XP Home. Only one account on
    >> > it, and
    >> > this has admin rights. I suspect that an Administrator account exists,
    >> > because I can't create one... nor can I log in as it must have password
    >> > set
    >> > and I don't know what it is. I suppose the only way to find out what
    >> > this is
    >> > is to go back to the retailer/maufacturer who installed it?
    >> >
    >> > Also, this original preloaded account I have now downgraded to limited,
    >> > and
    >> > create other accoutns with Admin rights... but these new accounts with
    >> > admin
    >> > rights can not open all the files... ie those that belong to the
    >> > original
    >> > user.. the one wiht admin rights that I've now downgraded.
    >> >
    >> > Is this normal for XP Home? Is there a resource somwhere that explains
    >> > all
    >> > this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Larry - thanks for this - that would explain it. Where, in the documentation
    I've easily got access too, is this explained? Am I looking in the wrong
    places?

    As a side issue, is there an update route from XP Home to Professional?
    Home came bundled with PC... but it's not right for my home network.

    Thanks again for your help.

    "Larry Samuels" wrote:

    > The Administrator account is hidden and locked in XP Home. It is only
    > accessible in Safe Mode.
    >
    > --
    > Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
    > Associate Expert
    > http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm
    > "Mikek13" <Mikek13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Dear Im - you might be right... but it doesn't seem so. I'm familiar with
    > > XP
    > > Pro and Win2k and in both of these I can do as you say... but there is no
    > > Administrator account shown in the Users applet. But if I try and log in
    > > as
    > > administrator with no password I get a box that says "account restrictions
    > > are preventing log on " or somethign like that, whilst if I try a password
    > > (and bear in mind I don't know it) I get the more standard "the system
    > > could
    > > not log you on".
    > >
    > > There's clearly more to this....
    > >
    > > "lm" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you are able to create new account with admin rights, you can edit or
    > >> remove the pre-installed acount.

    Sorry--I am working from home today so I don't have access to a pc running
    XP Home to look up the documentation.

    The upgrade from Home to Pro is the easiest of the upgrade paths since they
    are based off the same code. Simply purchase an XP pro upgrade disk, back up
    any critical data (just in case something goes splat), disable any AV
    running, then perform the upgrade from within windows.

    Mikek13 wrote:
    > got a new HP Pavilion PC preloaded with XP Home. Only one account on it, and
    > this has admin rights. I suspect that an Administrator account exists,
    > because I can't create one...

    Once any additional user accounts have been created, the Administrator
    account will no longer be displayed on the Welcome Screen. This is a
    default security feature. By design, the only way to log into the
    Administrator account of WinXP Home is to reboot into Safe Mode.

    > nor can I log in as it must have password set
    > and I don't know what it is. I suppose the only way to find out what this is
    > is to go back to the retailer/maufacturer who installed it?

    If you haven't sent a password on the account, then it should still be
    blank; there is no default password.

    > Also, this original preloaded account I have now downgraded to limited, and
    > create other accoutns with Admin rights... but these new accounts with admin
    > rights can not open all the files... ie those that belong to the original
    > user.. the one wiht admin rights that I've now downgraded.

    As far as the OS is concerned, you're most not the same person who
    created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't blindly be granted access
    to them. You'll need to re-create your privileges to the files by
    taking "ownership" of them.

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

    > Is this normal for XP Home?

    Perfectly.

    > Is there a resource somwhere that explains all
    > this?

    Click Start > Help and Support, to get started. And then:

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I have a similar problem, I made a file a shared file, when done I was
    prompted to reboot, when the computer booted back up, the box to log you on
    came up (the one I usually just press ok with no password), I pressed ok and
    it said I needed a password. I tried several, but none worked so I rebooted
    again, now the computer will only boot up from the CD and it still wants a
    password, which I don't know.

Windows XP HP Pavilion