No users can access 'Shared Documents' folder

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

For some reason my admin account is the only one that can access files in the
'Shared Documents' folder. I thought this folder was suppose to be
accessible to every login on my system. What the heck happened? I get a
'You don't have the proper permissions' error thrown up...very annoying.

Are you running XP Home or Pro? Big difference. However, you need to ensure that the Everyone group has the access rights you wish to grant.

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"gregg" <gregg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E64AE94-0151-4487-B0A8-119A5D5BFFF9@microsoft.com...
> For some reason my admin account is the only one that can access files in the
> 'Shared Documents' folder. I thought this folder was suppose to be
> accessible to every login on my system. What the heck happened? I get a
> 'You don't have the proper permissions' error thrown up...very annoying.

I use XP Home and had a problem that was almost similar to this one. Users
could access, and add to folders and documents in the Shared Folder, but any
existing files opened as read only, including the ones they had created if
they had subsequently been edited by a user with an administrator account.
Starting in safe mode, logging on as the default admin account and then
giving users "Modify" permission has cured this. Not forgetting to tick the
propogate permissions to child objects check box. I am well accustomed to
assigning permissions in Windows 2K and NT4 so find this quirk of XP Home
very frustrating.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Are you running XP Home or Pro? Big difference. However, you need to ensure that the Everyone group has the access rights you wish to grant.
>
> XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.
>
> XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
>
> HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "gregg" <gregg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E64AE94-0151-4487-B0A8-119A5D5BFFF9@microsoft.com...
> > For some reason my admin account is the only one that can access files in the
> > 'Shared Documents' folder. I thought this folder was suppose to be
> > accessible to every login on my system. What the heck happened? I get a
> > 'You don't have the proper permissions' error thrown up...very annoying.

paddy

Suscalian, I have the very same problem you describe with XP Home Edition.

Please forgive my ignorance. I know how to start the computer in Safe Mode
and log on as the default admin. But, I have no clue as to how to give users
"modify permission". Please would you tell me how to do this (or where to
find the answer)?

Thank you.

XP Home: To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

"Paddy" <Paddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9313319-0607-47B8-9366-BE09C39287DD@microsoft.com...
> Suscalian, I have the very same problem you describe with XP Home Edition.
>
> Please forgive my ignorance. I know how to start the computer in Safe Mode
> and log on as the default admin. But, I have no clue as to how to give users
> "modify permission". Please would you tell me how to do this (or where to
> find the answer)?
>
> Thank you.

paddy

Doug, thank you for those pointers. In testing both before and after the
changes, I found it's even worse than I thought.

Each user cannot move or rename files or folders, even in THEIR OWN "My
Documents" folders!

Following Suscalian and your instructions, I've added every permission to
every user, including "Full Control". I've gone into "Special Permissions"
and ensured that every user has every permission. Still, it makes no
difference.

I've given up, and made every user an Administrator. I don't know what else
to do!

Thanks again for your answers.

It should not be necessary to make every user an Administrator. Additionally, Group permissions can be more restrictive than User permissions. Particularly if the Deny box is checked (avoid this whenever possible).

For a particular user's folders, under Documents and Settings, assign ownership to the user that the folder belongs to.

See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

"Paddy" <Paddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA90A1A7-E6B0-453A-8675-E281683D880A@microsoft.com...
> Doug, thank you for those pointers. In testing both before and after the
> changes, I found it's even worse than I thought.
>
> Each user cannot move or rename files or folders, even in THEIR OWN "My
> Documents" folders!
>
> Following Suscalian and your instructions, I've added every permission to
> every user, including "Full Control". I've gone into "Special Permissions"
> and ensured that every user has every permission. Still, it makes no
> difference.
>
> I've given up, and made every user an Administrator. I don't know what else
> to do!
>
> Thanks again for your answers.

paddy

Doug, I appreciate your answers. To confirm, I've ensured that, for EVERY user:

1. The user owns his own folders;
2. All permissions, including "Full Control", are checked, including for the
children files and folders:
(a) For "Shared Documents" (and its children), and
(b) For "My Documents" AND its parent (and their children);
3. None of the "Deny" boxes is checked for the above folders.

Still, it doesn't work!

So, unfortunately, after playing with it some more, I have had to continue
with keeping every user as an Administrator.

I realise, as you say, "It should not be necessary to make every user an
Administrator." Sadly, as you know, MS Windows is not the easiest or most
reliable operating system in the world, so unless you have some clever fix
for this, I'll have to stick with Administrator for everyone!

Again, Doug, thank you for your efforts.