Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Copying Security Permissions - XP Pro SP2 (NTFS)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 8:17:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I just installed an External Hard Drive connected via USB (Drive H). It is
in NTFS format, same as my C Drive. I plan to use it for backup/archiving
files. I use Windows Explorer to copy files from C drive to H, and want to
keep the same files/folders permission settings that was on the C drive.
But it doesn't, security permissions are different on the copied
files/folders on the H drive.

How can I copy files/folder using "Windows Explorer" from the C hard drive
to the H hard drive and keep the security permissions identical???

I will be setting up a Backup procedure soon. But for now, I'm really
curious on how to copy files/folders security permissions from one hard
drive to another using Windows Explorer???

Thanks,

MarkC
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 12, 2005 10:28:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

MarkC wrote:
> I just installed an External Hard Drive connected via USB (Drive H). It is
> in NTFS format, same as my C Drive. I plan to use it for
> backup/archiving files. I use Windows Explorer to copy files from C
> drive to H, and want to keep the same files/folders permission
> settings that was on the C drive. But it doesn't, security
> permissions are different on the copied files/folders on the H drive.
>
> How can I copy files/folder using "Windows Explorer" from the C hard
> drive to the H hard drive and keep the security permissions
> identical???
> I will be setting up a Backup procedure soon. But for now, I'm really
> curious on how to copy files/folders security permissions from one
> hard drive to another using Windows Explorer???

Using Windows Explorer? Why? Not very automated. heh

Use XCOPY and the correct switches.. or....
XXCOPY and one of its thousands of switches.. or....
Use a cloning program (Ghost, TrueImage, etc) and make a real backup..
or....
How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 13, 2005 1:02:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks, hmmm "xxcopy"?
Mark


"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 8oP4Z6bFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> MarkC wrote:
>> I just installed an External Hard Drive connected via USB (Drive H). It
>> is in NTFS format, same as my C Drive. I plan to use it for
>> backup/archiving files. I use Windows Explorer to copy files from C
>> drive to H, and want to keep the same files/folders permission
>> settings that was on the C drive. But it doesn't, security
>> permissions are different on the copied files/folders on the H drive.
>>
>> How can I copy files/folder using "Windows Explorer" from the C hard
>> drive to the H hard drive and keep the security permissions
>> identical???
>> I will be setting up a Backup procedure soon. But for now, I'm really
>> curious on how to copy files/folders security permissions from one
>> hard drive to another using Windows Explorer???
>
> Using Windows Explorer? Why? Not very automated. heh
>
> Use XCOPY and the correct switches.. or....
> XXCOPY and one of its thousands of switches.. or....
> Use a cloning program (Ghost, TrueImage, etc) and make a real backup..
> or....
> How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 13, 2005 4:06:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Mark
Don't use Explorer or Xcopy, you will have endless trouble. If you have
Western disks they make a free utility to do the job called LifeGuard.
Otherwise CasparXP is excellent at
www.fssdev.com

--
Uncle John
"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:uzKYvy8bFHA.2936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, hmmm "xxcopy"?
> Mark
>
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8oP4Z6bFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> MarkC wrote:
>>> I just installed an External Hard Drive connected via USB (Drive H). It
>>> is in NTFS format, same as my C Drive. I plan to use it for
>>> backup/archiving files. I use Windows Explorer to copy files from C
>>> drive to H, and want to keep the same files/folders permission
>>> settings that was on the C drive. But it doesn't, security
>>> permissions are different on the copied files/folders on the H drive.
>>>
>>> How can I copy files/folder using "Windows Explorer" from the C hard
>>> drive to the H hard drive and keep the security permissions
>>> identical???
>>> I will be setting up a Backup procedure soon. But for now, I'm really
>>> curious on how to copy files/folders security permissions from one
>>> hard drive to another using Windows Explorer???
>>
>> Using Windows Explorer? Why? Not very automated. heh
>>
>> Use XCOPY and the correct switches.. or....
>> XXCOPY and one of its thousands of switches.. or....
>> Use a cloning program (Ghost, TrueImage, etc) and make a real backup..
>> or....
>> How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 13, 2005 5:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

MarkC wrote:

> Thanks, hmmm "xxcopy"?
> Mark
Hi,

XXCOPY: they have a freeware version for personal (non-commercial)
use, and a shareware version in other cases.

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.html


Alternatively,look into Microsoft's Robocopy.exe.

Robocopy.exe is available here:

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

(The kit will install on WinXP or later and you can copy only
needed files to other computers)

See rktools.chm and robocopy.doc for documentation for Robocopy.exe.



--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 14, 2005 1:44:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will look into it.
Mark

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:uWlQ1xAcFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> MarkC wrote:
>
>> Thanks, hmmm "xxcopy"?
>> Mark
> Hi,
>
> XXCOPY: they have a freeware version for personal (non-commercial)
> use, and a shareware version in other cases.
>
> http://www.xxcopy.com/index.html
>
>
> Alternatively,look into Microsoft's Robocopy.exe.
>
> Robocopy.exe is available here:
>
> Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
> (The kit will install on WinXP or later and you can copy only
> needed files to other computers)
>
> See rktools.chm and robocopy.doc for documentation for Robocopy.exe.
>
>
>
> --
> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
!