  • Internet
  • Windows XP
a b 8 Security
June 13, 2005 10:55:31 AM

Hello all, this is going to sound like a very strange request, but it's
important to me. I hate to admit it, but I have an internet gambling
problem. I have a pattern that I can't break, I lose money then put
more money in just to break even then I lose that money. I think it's
impossible to break the habit but if I can ban a certain internet web
site than I won't be able to download the program.
Like I said, this is a weird question, but basically I don't
trust myself. I tried going into Control Panel > Internet Options >
Security > and tried adding the site to Restricted Web Sites, but
nothing happened. I was hoping to create a password quickly then forget
it. Is there anything else I can do with Internet Explorer?
Unfortunately, I also use Mozilla so if anyone can help me with that as
well that would be much appreciated.
Basically I always uninstall the gambling program after I lose
big but then a day later I go to the website and reinstall it and lose
even more. I would like this to stop, thanks

--
TruePhobia

More about : banning web site

June 14, 2005 1:32:41 AM

Edit your host file (which is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) and add
the following

Assuming the site you wish to block is www.gamglingsite.com

127.0.0.1 www.gamglingsite.com

This will block the site in whatever browser you use.

Bear in mind this method has problems because there are probably millions of
other gambling sites.

Also whats to stop you from just removing the above entry when you want to
download the program again. The same goes for any method you choose - you
can just undo it whenever you feel the urge.

If I were you are really serious about this you should disconnect yourself
from the internet until you get this problem sorted.

!