ATI RS480 Athlon64 chipset

What do the onboard graphics of this chipset equate to?

X300 speed? more / less?

It is DX9 hardware.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
> What do the onboard graphics of this chipset equate to?
>
> X300 speed? more / less?
>
> It is DX9 hardware.

Less, a lot less. It's better than the Intel "Extreme" 915G, but a 64bit
FX5200 also is. Not worthy of consideration for any type of 3D gaming
whatsoever. Read http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/ati-rs480/

> Less, a lot less. It's better than the Intel "Extreme" 915G, but a 64bit
> FX5200 also is. Not worthy of consideration for any type of 3D gaming
> whatsoever. Read http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/ati-rs480/

That review is of a pre-production reference board

One review calls it an X300 core
http://www.gen-x-pc.com/ati_express_200.htm

And another calls it a Radeon 9600 core.
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1303&cid=6&pg=3

>> Less, a lot less. It's better than the Intel "Extreme" 915G, but a 64bit
>> FX5200 also is. Not worthy of consideration for any type of 3D gaming
>> whatsoever. Read http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/ati-rs480/
>
> That review is of a pre-production reference board

I could find no other reviews available. It's still a valid review of the
actual Xpress 200 IGP. An RV370 core with 2 pipelines instead of the
standard 4? A 9600 series core with disabled pipelines is a crippled slow
IGP.

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
> Less, a lot less. It's better than the Intel "Extreme" 915G, but a 64bit

"Extreme" in my circle when it comes to onboard graphics almost certainly
means "Extreme-ly bad"!

Gonzo

> "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
>>> Less, a lot less. It's better than the Intel "Extreme" 915G, but a 64bit
>>> FX5200 also is. Not worthy of consideration for any type of 3D gaming
>>> whatsoever. Read http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/ati-rs480/
>>
>> That review is of a pre-production reference board
>
> I could find no other reviews available. It's still a valid review of the
> actual Xpress 200 IGP. An RV370 core with 2 pipelines instead of the
> standard 4? A 9600 series core with disabled pipelines is a crippled slow
> IGP.

Anyone have a clue as to when these things are going to hit the market?

Hell they have to be faster than my current 9200 AGP. I can always upgrade
with the PCIE slot that these boards will sport.

They were introduced late December. Very slow to hit in volume, retail
channels. Some places that have them instock, are trying to price gouge
(above $150). The board will level around $100 when more vendors have them.

I found one yesterday, at a local vendor's computer show. I bit, at the
price, $89 (and just having them)
MSI RS480M2
Now just to find a sweet spot on a 939 (90nm Winchester core) CPU for it.