recovering data for user with password

June 13, 2005 7:37:46 PM

Having corrupted or deleted some vital windows /registry files whilst
eliminating a virus, I ended up with no desktop/icons on reboot.
Decided needed to reload windows XP as it wouldn't repair from disk. To
safeguard data we renamed the documents directory (and sub-dir) using
dos type commands at the command prompt on repair console. We also
renamed the windows directory and all sub directories. Then reinstalled
windows and all the relevant applications. Using the documents and
settings wizard we tried to recover the data, but all the files under
one user with password protection on the user would not transfer.
How can I proceed to recover the data?

--
corbel
Anonymous

corbel wrote:
> Having corrupted or deleted some vital windows /registry files whilst
> eliminating a virus, I ended up with no desktop/icons on reboot.
> Decided needed to reload windows XP as it wouldn't repair from disk.
> To safeguard data we renamed the documents directory (and sub-dir)
> using dos type commands at the command prompt on repair console. We
> also renamed the windows directory and all sub directories. Then
> reinstalled windows and all the relevant applications. Using the
> documents and settings wizard we tried to recover the data, but all
> the files under one user with password protection on the user would
> not transfer.
> How can I proceed to recover the data?

You are getting "Access Denied" aren't you?
Would be nice if you just gave the error message (or included it in all
that. heh)

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
Shenan Stanley