Usage of Control Panel vs. CCC : POLL

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2005 1:36:39 PM

I'd like to poll the ATI NG's (assuming it's a pretty representative sample
group) to get an idea of what percentages represent the following
categories. This information might to useful to ATI when completed.

Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?

Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you tried
the CCC? If yes what did you think?

Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and refocus
resources on the CP version?

Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general design?

Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com
tony.dimarzio@comcast.net
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:41:00 PM

Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?
A: --Control Panel--

Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you tried
the CCC? If yes what did you think?
A: --Yes I tried it back in 4.9 I think. I thought it was terribly slow and
bloated.

Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and refocus
resources on the CP version?
A: No I don't think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together. Rather,
I think that it needs a hell of a beta period before they should make it
standard product.

Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general design?
A: Don't ever sacrifice speed and functionality for glitz. Remember who your
hard-core users are.

Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com
tony.dimarzio@comcast.net
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:13:54 PM

Tally Ho!
Ed
"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to poll the ATI NG's (assuming it's a pretty representative
> sample group) to get an idea of what percentages represent the following
> categories. This information might to useful to ATI when completed.
>
> Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?
> A:Control Panel
>
> Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you tried
> the CCC? If yes what did you think?
> A:Yes. Too slow and no major advantage over CP
>
> Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and
> refocus resources on the CP version?
> A:Yes
>
> Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general
> design?
> A:Why bother?
>
> --
> Tony DiMarzio
> djtone81@hotmail.com
> tony.dimarzio@comcast.net

February 15, 2005 2:15:33 AM

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to poll the ATI NG's (assuming it's a pretty representative
> sample group) to get an idea of what percentages represent the following
> categories. This information might to useful to ATI when completed.
>
> Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?

A: Control Panel

> Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you tried
> the CCC? If yes what did you think?

A: Yes, for a couple of version, 4.11 and 4.12 I think. Too slow and
bloated. Unnecessary eye-candy.

> Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and
> refocus resources on the CP version?

A: No, but it needs a lot refinement and tuning.

> Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general
> design?

A: See answer above

> --
> Tony DiMarzio
> djtone81@hotmail.com
> tony.dimarzio@comcast.net

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:43:19 AM

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to poll the ATI NG's (assuming it's a pretty representative
> sample group) to get an idea of what percentages represent the following
> categories. This information might to useful to ATI when completed.
>
> Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?

No, never have.

> Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you tried
> the CCC? If yes what did you think?

N/A

> Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and
> refocus resources on the CP version?

Given the amount of problems people have been reporting about the CCC over
the months, it may not be a bad idea to abandon it. Based on all of the
negative stuff I've read, I'm definitely left with the impression that ATI
should have at least worked on it longer before releasing it. Some people
may be trying to use the CCC for legitimate reasons, but I think some are
just interested in the "cool" factor associated with the added bells and
whistles. For me, reliability of operation overshadows everything else, but
to each their own. The regular control panel does everything I want and
that's what really matters.

> Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general
> design?

Since I haven't used it, I cannot comment.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:37:26 AM

Yikes! I posted this message last night when I was very tired just getting
ready for bed and now realize the blunder in some of my replies.

Revising my answers to the first two questions, I'm just using the standard
Control Panel and have never tried the CCC. I think that was clear from my
original post though. :-)

Sorry about that.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:48:26 PM

Haha. It's ok Sky. I gathered you meant " I'm just using the standard
Control Panel and have never tried the CCC ". No clarification needed.

So far it seems pretty unanimous. The people are shouting a resounding "NO"
to CCC. We'll see if anyone actually likes CCC.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Yikes! I posted this message last night when I was very tired just
> getting ready for bed and now realize the blunder in some of my replies.
>
> Revising my answers to the first two questions, I'm just using the
> standard Control Panel and have never tried the CCC. I think that was
> clear from my original post though. :-)
>
> Sorry about that.

February 15, 2005 11:55:45 PM

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
> I'd like to poll the ATI NG's (assuming it's a pretty representative
> sample group) to get an idea of what percentages represent the
> following categories. This information might to useful to ATI when
> completed.
> Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?

Nope

> Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you
> tried the CCC? If yes what did you think?

Never

> Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and
> refocus resources on the CP version?

No, just redesign it.

> Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general
> design? A:

I feel it can be nice to have a nice looking control center. But why have it
require to install some weird .Net framework? Extra trouble, unneccesary...
And like the others, I feel a 'cool' CCC can be a bonus, but it should NEVER
hurt stability and performance.

--
Thomas
Anonymous

> So far it seems pretty unanimous. The people are shouting a resounding
> "NO" to CCC. We'll see if anyone actually likes CCC.

I like it! Since I'm a professional developer, I have to have .NET loaded
on my machine anyway so the overhead isn't too much more.

Tom Lake
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 1:15:47 AM

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > So far it seems pretty unanimous. The people are shouting a resounding
> > "NO" to CCC. We'll see if anyone actually likes CCC.
>
> I like it! Since I'm a professional developer, I have to have .NET loaded
> on my machine anyway so...

* the overhead isn't too much more*...

> Tom Lake

My condolences... ;^)
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:31:38 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:36:39 -0500, "Tony DiMarzio"
<djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'd like to poll the ATI NG's (assuming it's a pretty representative sample
>group) to get an idea of what percentages represent the following
>categories. This information might to useful to ATI when completed.
>
>Q: Do you currently use the Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center?

A: Control Panel

>Q: For those who answered 'Control Panel' to the previous, have you tried
>the CCC? If yes what did you think?

A: I have tried the CCC out with each Cat version since its original
release. Eventually it stops working and I revert to the original
Contol Panel format.

>Q: Do you think ATI should abandon the CCC concept all together and refocus
>resources on the CP version?

A: I think they should fix the CCC

>Q: What suggestions do you have for ATI's CCC, technical or general design?

A: Fix the CCC

ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP retail (Cat5.2)
DV-I: Primary/Monitor #1 Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black 21.3" TFT
1600x1200 32bit 60Hz (native)
VGA: Secondary/Monitor #2 ViewSonic P225f 22" Aperture Grille CRT
1600x1200 32bit 85Hz

WinXP HE SP2 slipstream full/clean; DirectX 9.0c
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (v1.1.4322)

Happy trails,
!