How can I restore a deleted user and files

I took over a computer and deleted the previous owners user. Unfortunately,
I did it before she got all her files off. How can I get them back?
windows xp home second edition
4 answers Last reply
More about restore deleted user files

    the dumb one wrote:

    > I took over a computer and deleted the previous owners user.
    > Unfortunately,
    > I did it before she got all her files off. How can I get them back?
    > windows xp home second edition

    Short of running data recovery software on the machine, those files are
    gone.

    There are free data recovery programs available (Google for them), but I
    have not used them. Some commercial (and very expensive) data recovery
    programs are Easy Recovery Pro, which works very well and I have heard
    good reports about R-Studio. I think the best solution would be for you
    to have a computer professional try and recover the files since they
    will have the data recovery software needed. If there is no one locally
    who can do it, you can try a professional data recovery firm such as
    Drive Savers (www.drivesavers.com). Their services are not inexpensive,
    but only the previous owner can decide how much her data is worth.

    If you want to try to recover the data, it is crucial that you do
    *nothing* further on the machine.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks Guys, I kind of figured it was a lost cause. It has been a couple
    of weeks since it was done. I was hoping a system restore going back that
    far might work but I guess not.
    Thanks anyway, I appreciate the support

    "Malke" wrote:

    > the dumb one wrote:
    >
    > > I took over a computer and deleted the previous owners user.
    > > Unfortunately,
    > > I did it before she got all her files off. How can I get them back?
    > > windows xp home second edition
    >
    > Short of running data recovery software on the machine, those files are
    > gone.
    >
    > There are free data recovery programs available (Google for them), but I
    > have not used them. Some commercial (and very expensive) data recovery
    > programs are Easy Recovery Pro, which works very well and I have heard
    > good reports about R-Studio. I think the best solution would be for you
    > to have a computer professional try and recover the files since they
    > will have the data recovery software needed. If there is no one locally
    > who can do it, you can try a professional data recovery firm such as
    > Drive Savers (www.drivesavers.com). Their services are not inexpensive,
    > but only the previous owner can decide how much her data is worth.
    >
    > If you want to try to recover the data, it is crucial that you do
    > *nothing* further on the machine.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Unfortunately System Restore is not intended to protect personal data such
    as you lost.
    See this link for exactly what System Restore is and is not designed to
    restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "the dumb one" <thedumbone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Guys, I kind of figured it was a lost cause. It has been a
    > couple
    > of weeks since it was done. I was hoping a system restore going back that
    > far might work but I guess not.
    > Thanks anyway, I appreciate the support

    If you deleted the user profile and told it not to keep the files, they're gone. There are various undelete utilities out there, and you may have some success with them. But the more you use the computer, the less likely you are to recover anything intact.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "the dumb one" <the dumb one@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:964F999B-78DB-4A9D-ABE9-B91097641C8F@microsoft.com...
    >I took over a computer and deleted the previous owners user. Unfortunately,
    > I did it before she got all her files off. How can I get them back?
    > windows xp home second edition

Microsoft Windows XP