network access tp program files folder

Can anyone please advise as to how i can access the program files folder over
a local area network.

both systems are Windows Xp Pro /SP2 with all updates installed

Both computers have only one user with full? adfministrator privilages
3 answers Last reply
More about network access program files folder

    In news:39FD3E11-FBC2-4E4A-985A-A3D817B8A1FC@microsoft.com,
    malcolm <malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Can anyone please advise as to how i can access the program files
    > folder over a local area network.
    >
    > both systems are Windows Xp Pro /SP2 with all updates installed
    >
    > Both computers have only one user with full? adfministrator privilages

    I'm not sure why you'd want to share that particular folder but (assuming
    you have Simple File Sharing enabled and you likely do, it's much easier for
    most home networking situations) here's how: Open My Computer, navigate to
    the Program Files on your system drive > right click the folder > click
    Sharing and Security > share the folder. I'm not even sure you can give
    access to that folder but I'm pretty sure you can. I've never actually tried
    that of course.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen
    Both systems are XP Pro and have SFS disabled.
    Your approach does not allow access over the network to the program files
    foldereven though the folder has the sharing icon displayed. I think that it
    has something to do with ppermissions but i cannot find appropriate entry in
    policies etc to allow this access.
    Access is needed for a special program which is resident in this folder and
    cannot be moved to a separate folder outside the program files folder

    In news:AEE20CB4-4A6E-41B0-935C-224A4682A7F6@microsoft.com,
    malcolm <malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Galen
    > Both systems are XP Pro and have SFS disabled.
    > Your approach does not allow access over the network to the program
    > files foldereven though the folder has the sharing icon displayed. I
    > think that it has something to do with ppermissions but i cannot find
    > appropriate entry in policies etc to allow this access.
    > Access is needed for a special program which is resident in this
    > folder and cannot be moved to a separate folder outside the program
    > files folder

    I wasn't sure if you'd be able to share that particular folder, I'm not
    surprised that weren't able to. What if you put a shortcut to the
    application into a shared folder? Does it work then? Assuming that does not
    work and that you get no response here that satisfies you my recommendation
    is to ask in the XP networking group where you'll find more appropriate
    answers perhaps.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Network Access Microsoft Windows XP