network access tp program files folder

Malcolm

Can anyone please advise as to how i can access the program files folder over
a local area network.

both systems are Windows Xp Pro /SP2 with all updates installed

Both computers have only one user with full? adfministrator privilages

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:39FD3E11-FBC2-4E4A-985A-A3D817B8A1FC@microsoft.com,
malcolm <malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Can anyone please advise as to how i can access the program files
> folder over a local area network.
>
> both systems are Windows Xp Pro /SP2 with all updates installed
>
> Both computers have only one user with full? adfministrator privilages

I'm not sure why you'd want to share that particular folder but (assuming
you have Simple File Sharing enabled and you likely do, it's much easier for
most home networking situations) here's how: Open My Computer, navigate to
the Program Files on your system drive > right click the folder > click
Sharing and Security > share the folder. I'm not even sure you can give
access to that folder but I'm pretty sure you can. I've never actually tried
that of course.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Malcolm

Galen
Both systems are XP Pro and have SFS disabled.
Your approach does not allow access over the network to the program files
foldereven though the folder has the sharing icon displayed. I think that it
has something to do with ppermissions but i cannot find appropriate entry in
policies etc to allow this access.
Access is needed for a special program which is resident in this folder and
cannot be moved to a separate folder outside the program files folder

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:39FD3E11-FBC2-4E4A-985A-A3D817B8A1FC@microsoft.com,
> malcolm <malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Can anyone please advise as to how i can access the program files
> > folder over a local area network.
> >
> > both systems are Windows Xp Pro /SP2 with all updates installed
> >
> > Both computers have only one user with full? adfministrator privilages
>
> I'm not sure why you'd want to share that particular folder but (assuming
> you have Simple File Sharing enabled and you likely do, it's much easier for
> most home networking situations) here's how: Open My Computer, navigate to
> the Program Files on your system drive > right click the folder > click
> Sharing and Security > share the folder. I'm not even sure you can give
> access to that folder but I'm pretty sure you can. I've never actually tried
> that of course.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AEE20CB4-4A6E-41B0-935C-224A4682A7F6@microsoft.com,
malcolm <malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Galen
> Both systems are XP Pro and have SFS disabled.
> Your approach does not allow access over the network to the program
> files foldereven though the folder has the sharing icon displayed. I
> think that it has something to do with ppermissions but i cannot find
> appropriate entry in policies etc to allow this access.
> Access is needed for a special program which is resident in this
> folder and cannot be moved to a separate folder outside the program
> files folder

I wasn't sure if you'd be able to share that particular folder, I'm not
surprised that weren't able to. What if you put a shortcut to the
application into a shared folder? Does it work then? Assuming that does not
work and that you get no response here that satisfies you my recommendation
is to ask in the XP networking group where you'll find more appropriate
answers perhaps.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes