Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

access to registery accross network denied after in place ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 14, 2005 7:12:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

We have a situation where all of the PC's that we have performed in place
upgrades on from windows 2000 to XP do not now allow access to the registery
from across the network, all those PC's that were upgraded with a clean
install are fine. Is there a way to reset the security on the registry?
June 14, 2005 1:12:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

In news:97898FE7-8AEC-455E-83D4-9649A18A2309@microsoft.com,
Adam Morgan <Adam Morgan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> We have a situation where all of the PC's that we have performed in
> place upgrades on from windows 2000 to XP do not now allow access to
> the registery from across the network, all those PC's that were
> upgraded with a clean install are fine. Is there a way to reset the
> security on the registry?

Start > Run > services.msc > is remote registry enabled as a service and set
to automatic? If not then that's the problem, if so then the problem might
be with the permissions??? I've never encountered a case where that was so
but my experience isn't all-knowing ;) 

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 14, 2005 1:12:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Galen

thanks for that, however the service is running and is set to automatic. it
would appear to only be the HKey local Machine branch of the registry that
gives the access denied message, ie can access the Local user part of the
registry remotely. Have checked the pemissions on the Local Machine branch
but they are the same as the other PC's that work so am still a little stuck.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:97898FE7-8AEC-455E-83D4-9649A18A2309@microsoft.com,
> Adam Morgan <Adam Morgan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > We have a situation where all of the PC's that we have performed in
> > place upgrades on from windows 2000 to XP do not now allow access to
> > the registery from across the network, all those PC's that were
> > upgraded with a clean install are fine. Is there a way to reset the
> > security on the registry?
>
> Start > Run > services.msc > is remote registry enabled as a service and set
> to automatic? If not then that's the problem, if so then the problem might
> be with the permissions??? I've never encountered a case where that was so
> but my experience isn't all-knowing ;) 
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>
>
>
June 14, 2005 6:28:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

In news:AE894D90-0A8A-466F-AD61-AA5405F25AFB@microsoft.com,
Adam Morgan <AdamMorgan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Galen
>
> thanks for that, however the service is running and is set to
> automatic. it would appear to only be the HKey local Machine branch
> of the registry that gives the access denied message, ie can access
> the Local user part of the registry remotely. Have checked the
> pemissions on the Local Machine branch but they are the same as the
> other PC's that work so am still a little stuck.

I did a quick Google and nothing really popped up specifically but, on an
off-chance, is File and Print services enabled on the LAN connection? If not
then what happens when you enable it? Again, as I mentioned, I don't really
know but thought I'd offer the tidbits that seemed logical. Another idea is
to check the XP networking group. That might make it easier and there's
likely to be an expert in there to assist you.

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
!