Wireless disconect problem with 3 other wireless networks

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a client that I setup on wireless a few years back. All clients
(approx 5)are running xp SP1 and I am using a recently installed WAP54G
Linksys to try and solve the problem. They have been just fine until the
last few months. I now see that there are 3 other Wireless lans in the
building. 2 have no security and the third has encryption. I have tried
all of the options that are available. i.e. preferred networks, no check
mark on the 802.11 box. My channel is 11. My broadcast is turned on and I
am running 64 bit WEP. The signal strength varies from no signal to full
strength over the course of 10 -15 minutes. I am assuming that the extra
networks that are running are conflicting with my network.

I am hoping that by installing another WAP54G in the repeater mode (and
placing close to my csutomers) this will help the signal and solve the
problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

TIA

John

For 802.11g, there are 3 channels available for use, and as you have
discovered and concluded, your problem is most probably being caused by
interference. Putting a repeater near the clients might help, but on the
other hand, might just end up increasing the RF noise. I would say that your
best bet would be to place the two interfering APs (there can only be two
of them since there are 3 available channels and you have 4 APs) out of each
other's range.

Rajiv

"John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
> I have a client that I setup on wireless a few years back. All clients
> (approx 5)are running xp SP1 and I am using a recently installed WAP54G
> Linksys to try and solve the problem. They have been just fine until the
> last few months. I now see that there are 3 other Wireless lans in the
> building. 2 have no security and the third has encryption. I have tried
> all of the options that are available. i.e. preferred networks, no check
> mark on the 802.11 box. My channel is 11. My broadcast is turned on and
> am running 64 bit WEP. The signal strength varies from no signal to full
> strength over the course of 10 -15 minutes. I am assuming that the extra
> networks that are running are conflicting with my network.
>
> I am hoping that by installing another WAP54G in the repeater mode (and
> placing close to my csutomers) this will help the signal and solve the
> problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?
>
> TIA
>

> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks I appreciate the the additional input to help reconfirm.

John