Administrative Access denied to an Administrator??

I am trying to help a long-distance friend who is having trouble with WinXP
home edition... His system is set up to Autologon; He is the only user and he
has Administrative rights... yet, when he recently downloaded Real Player and
then tried to install it, he got an error message saying "Adminstrative
Access to system registry denied"

Also, he was having trouble changing the display properties, so he went into
control panel/system/device manager ... he got a message saying his graphics
controller did not have its drivers installed... he opted to allow the
correct drivers to be downloaded... which they did, but again was denied
access when the drivers attempted to install. We are totally stumped...
Administrators should have access to everything, right? Doesn't that include
installing software/drivers?
THANKS IN ADVACNE FOR ANY HELP!
5 answers Last reply
More about administrative access denied administrator

    These type of problems are usually due to spyware/trojan infections.... tell
    your friend to download these antispyware programs and clean his computer.

    Adaware SE Personal Edition
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    CWShredder
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    All antispyware programs should be updated scanning the system and run in
    safe mode for more efficient removal of difficult spyware. The antivirus
    should also be updated and run and/or an online virus check should be done.

    One other tip; Real Player has a bad reputation, it's installation includes
    spyware and it also disables the System Restore feature in Windows XP, so
    it's not a good idea to install that particular media player, there are a
    lot of good media players that don't include spyware.

    Media Players
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads32.html

    great media player
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/jukebox.html

    more Media players.
    http://www.download.com/Media-Players/3150-2139_4-0.html?tag=dir

    Online virus scanns
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/es/activescan_principal.htm

    "BklynGirl" <BklynGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > I am trying to help a long-distance friend who is having trouble with
    WinXP
    > home edition... His system is set up to Autologon; He is the only user and
    he
    > has Administrative rights... yet, when he recently downloaded Real Player
    and
    > then tried to install it, he got an error message saying "Adminstrative
    > Access to system registry denied"
    >
    > Also, he was having trouble changing the display properties, so he went
    into
    > control panel/system/device manager ... he got a message saying his
    graphics
    > controller did not have its drivers installed... he opted to allow the
    > correct drivers to be downloaded... which they did, but again was denied
    > access when the drivers attempted to install. We are totally stumped...
    > Administrators should have access to everything, right? Doesn't that
    include
    > installing software/drivers?
    > THANKS IN ADVACNE FOR ANY HELP!

    Thanks Juan,

    I know he ran his norton to check for viruses, but it didn't find any...
    Also, I truly doubt he has a restore disk anyway. I fear he will have to
    reinstall WinXP.
    Anyway, I will forward your suggestions about running anti-spyware progs
    THANKS AGAIN

    "Juan" wrote:

    > These type of problems are usually due to spyware/trojan infections.... tell
    > your friend to download these antispyware programs and clean his computer.
    >
    > Adaware SE Personal Edition
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > SpywareBlaster
    > CWShredder
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
    >
    > All antispyware programs should be updated scanning the system and run in
    > safe mode for more efficient removal of difficult spyware. The antivirus
    > should also be updated and run and/or an online virus check should be done.
    >
    > One other tip; Real Player has a bad reputation, it's installation includes
    > spyware and it also disables the System Restore feature in Windows XP, so
    > it's not a good idea to install that particular media player, there are a
    > lot of good media players that don't include spyware.
    >
    > Media Players
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads32.html
    >
    > great media player
    > http://www.apple.com/itunes/jukebox.html
    >
    > more Media players.
    > http://www.download.com/Media-Players/3150-2139_4-0.html?tag=dir
    >
    > Online virus scanns
    > http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/es/activescan_principal.htm

    > "BklynGirl" <BklynGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > I am trying to help a long-distance friend who is having trouble with
    > WinXP
    > > home edition... His system is set up to Autologon; He is the only user and
    > he
    > > has Administrative rights... yet, when he recently downloaded Real Player
    > and
    > > then tried to install it, he got an error message saying "Adminstrative
    > > Access to system registry denied"
    > >
    > > Also, he was having trouble changing the display properties, so he went
    > into
    > > control panel/system/device manager ... he got a message saying his
    > graphics
    > > controller did not have its drivers installed... he opted to allow the
    > > correct drivers to be downloaded... which they did, but again was denied
    > > access when the drivers attempted to install. We are totally stumped...
    > > Administrators should have access to everything, right? Doesn't that
    > include
    > > installing software/drivers?
    > > THANKS IN ADVACNE FOR ANY HELP!

  3. Some poeple will have problems installing software if the admin rights are gone-try this, it worked for me-
    Try updating permissions,this will work This error is due to permissions...
    1. Run regedt32.exe (has to be regedt32 NOT regedit)
    2. Select the window HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ON LOCAL MACHINE
    3. Select the SOFTWARE key
    4. Click SECURITY (or PERMISSIONS) from the menu bar (under the "Edit" menu)
    5. Click PERMISSIONS
    6. From the Security section, highlight USERS
    7. Check the option FULL CONTROL
    8. Click APPLY
    9. Click the ADVANCED button
    10. Highlight USERS from the ?Permission Entries? section
    11. Click VIEW/EDIT
    12. From the permissions section, uncheck the DELETE option from the ?Allow? column
    13. Click OK
    14. Click APPLY before continuing to the next step
    15. Check the option ?RESET PERMISSIONS ON ALL CHILD OBJECTS AND ENABLE PROPAGATION OF INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS?
    16. Click APPLY again
    17. Click YES at the security dialog warning box
    18. Click OK to the message about registry editor not being able to set permissions on some keys
    19. Click OK back at the access control settings for the SOFTWARE key
    20. Click OK back at the permissions for SOFTWARE dialog
  4. njphones said:
[...]

    You replied to a 5 year old topic. I think the OP has it straightened out by now. ;)
  5. Yes, but someone else may come across this topic (as I did) looking to resolve the same issue.

Drivers Windows XP