Setting Permissions in XP Pro

I'm curious about something. Properties> Security Tab> Advanced Button. In
the "Inherited From" column I see, Not Inherited or a Path Sequence, depends
on the directory. I also see a third that has "Parent Object" on some
Directories, and like to know, how does that one get created? It only seems
when I'm setting up Permissions, it's either the "Not Inherited" or "Path",
and not sure how "Parent Object" got there???

Thanks,
MarkC
2 answers Last reply
More about setting permissions

    parent object
    [[The object in which another object resides. A parent object implies
    relation. For example, a folder is a parent object in which a file, or child
    object, resides. An object can be both a parent and a child object. For
    example, a subfolder that contains files is both the child of the parent
    folder and the parent folder of the files.]]

    [[There are two types of permissions: explicit permissions and inherited
    permissions.

    Explicit permissions are those that are set by default when the object is
    created, by user action.

    Inherited permissions are those that are propagated to an object from a
    parent object. ]]
    Explicit vs. inherited permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_seconceptsunpermsexp.mspx

    How inheritance affects file and folder permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_inherit_permissions.mspx

    Changing inherited permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_modify_inherited_permissions.mspx

    Security Descriptors
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_sec_mzlp.asp

    See Parent Objects here...
    Where Access Control Information Comes From
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsce_ctl_ataf.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OWfeyaWcFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm curious about something. Properties> Security Tab> Advanced Button.
    > In the "Inherited From" column I see, Not Inherited or a Path Sequence,
    > depends on the directory. I also see a third that has "Parent Object" on
    > some Directories, and like to know, how does that one get created? It
    > only seems when I'm setting up Permissions, it's either the "Not
    > Inherited" or "Path", and not sure how "Parent Object" got there???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MarkC

    Thanks for the info, will be digesting it.
    MarkC

    > parent object
    > [[The object in which another object resides. A parent object implies
    > relation. For example, a folder is a parent object in which a file, or
    > child
    > object, resides. An object can be both a parent and a child object. For
    > example, a subfolder that contains files is both the child of the parent
    > folder and the parent folder of the files.]]
    >
    > [[There are two types of permissions: explicit permissions and inherited
    > permissions.
    >
    > Explicit permissions are those that are set by default when the object is
    > created, by user action.
    >
    > Inherited permissions are those that are propagated to an object from a
    > parent object. ]]
    > Explicit vs. inherited permissions
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_seconceptsunpermsexp.mspx
    >
    > How inheritance affects file and folder permissions
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_inherit_permissions.mspx
    >
    > Changing inherited permissions
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_modify_inherited_permissions.mspx
    >
    > Security Descriptors
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_sec_mzlp.asp
    >
    > See Parent Objects here...
    > Where Access Control Information Comes From
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsce_ctl_ataf.asp
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OWfeyaWcFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I'm curious about something. Properties> Security Tab> Advanced Button.
    >> In the "Inherited From" column I see, Not Inherited or a Path Sequence,
    >> depends on the directory. I also see a third that has "Parent Object" on
    >> some Directories, and like to know, how does that one get created? It
    >> only seems when I'm setting up Permissions, it's either the "Not
    >> Inherited" or "Path", and not sure how "Parent Object" got there???
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> MarkC

Security Permissions Windows XP