  • Permissions
  • Windows XP
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 1:57:06 AM

I'm curious about something. Properties> Security Tab> Advanced Button. In
the "Inherited From" column I see, Not Inherited or a Path Sequence, depends
on the directory. I also see a third that has "Parent Object" on some
Directories, and like to know, how does that one get created? It only seems
when I'm setting up Permissions, it's either the "Not Inherited" or "Path",
and not sure how "Parent Object" got there???

Thanks,
MarkC

More about : setting permissions pro

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 12:05:46 PM

parent object
[[The object in which another object resides. A parent object implies
relation. For example, a folder is a parent object in which a file, or child
object, resides. An object can be both a parent and a child object. For
example, a subfolder that contains files is both the child of the parent
folder and the parent folder of the files.]]

[[There are two types of permissions: explicit permissions and inherited
permissions.

Explicit permissions are those that are set by default when the object is
created, by user action.

Inherited permissions are those that are propagated to an object from a
parent object. ]]
Explicit vs. inherited permissions

How inheritance affects file and folder permissions

Changing inherited permissions

Security Descriptors

See Parent Objects here...
Where Access Control Information Comes From

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o WfeyaWcFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'm curious about something. Properties> Security Tab> Advanced Button.
> In the "Inherited From" column I see, Not Inherited or a Path Sequence,
> depends on the directory. I also see a third that has "Parent Object" on
> some Directories, and like to know, how does that one get created? It
> only seems when I'm setting up Permissions, it's either the "Not
> Inherited" or "Path", and not sure how "Parent Object" got there???
>
> Thanks,
> MarkC
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 8:55:03 PM

Thanks for the info, will be digesting it.
MarkC

!