Freezing with X800 XT Platinum

I have a new system which causes me some grief.

Every once in a while (sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 2
hours) the whole systems freezes, no matter what i do (games, writing,
installing, doing nothing at all, it doesnt matter) so i can only do a
hard reset.

I have the strong feeling it has something to do with my graphic card
which is a His Excalibur Radeon X800 XT Platinum IceQII 256 MB AGPx8.

Does anyone of you cracks here know this problem and a workaround?
Power supply should be ok, its a Jou Jye JJ-460PPSA (460W).

TIA
Dave :)

>I have a new system which causes me some grief.
>
> Every once in a while (sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours)
> the whole systems freezes, no matter what i do (games, writing,
> installing, doing nothing at all, it doesnt matter) so i can only do a
> hard reset.
>
> I have the strong feeling it has something to do with my graphic card
> which is a His Excalibur Radeon X800 XT Platinum IceQII 256 MB AGPx8.
>
> Does anyone of you cracks here know this problem and a workaround?
> Power supply should be ok, its a Jou Jye JJ-460PPSA (460W).
>
> TIA
> Dave :)

The first thing I do when I have any kind of problem like that is take the
side off the case. If you have no problems after this it's a cooling
problem and you can start to find the source (cpu or video card).

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:45:00 +0100, Dave Dill <dave@news.tk> wrote:

>I have a new system which causes me some grief.
>
>Every once in a while (sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 2
>hours) the whole systems freezes, no matter what i do (games, writing,
>installing, doing nothing at all, it doesnt matter) so i can only do a
>hard reset.
>
>I have the strong feeling it has something to do with my graphic card
>which is a His Excalibur Radeon X800 XT Platinum IceQII 256 MB AGPx8.
>
>Does anyone of you cracks here know this problem and a workaround?
>Power supply should be ok, its a Jou Jye JJ-460PPSA (460W).
>
>TIA
>Dave :)

I would try another PSU anyway to rule it out. I had a similar problem
once and it was the PSU causing it.

Kent_Diego

>.... the whole systems freezes, no matter what i do (games, writing,
> installing, doing nothing at all, it doesnt matter) so i can only do a
> hard reset.

I do not think it has anything to do with your video card since occurs even
when not playing 3d games. Check your RAM. If have two modules, try one.
Raise timings. Run memtest86 over night.

-Kent