Need to kill a process as Limited User

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on my kid's computer. I have content
filtering software installed, which works OK except it has a runaway
process that consumes up to 100% of the CPU. According to the software
company, I can kill the process and the program should still work OK.
(I've tried it and this seems to be the case.)

The problem process is started by cwhi.exe. I have a small bat file
that kills the process:

tskill cwhi

I put the bat file in the "Startup" directory under "All Users".

The bat file starts up and kills the process fine when I login on my
admin account. But it won't work when my child logs in on his Limited
User account.

Is there anyway I can give this script permission to kill the process
when my son logs on to his limited user account?

(Or is there another approach I should consider?)

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary
2 answers Last reply
More about need kill process limited user

    Gary Z wrote:

    > I'm running Windows XP SP2 on my kid's computer. I have content
    > filtering software installed, which works OK except it has a runaway
    > process that consumes up to 100% of the CPU. According to the software
    > company, I can kill the process and the program should still work OK.
    > (I've tried it and this seems to be the case.)
    >
    > The problem process is started by cwhi.exe. I have a small bat file
    > that kills the process:
    >
    > tskill cwhi
    >
    > I put the bat file in the "Startup" directory under "All Users".
    >
    > The bat file starts up and kills the process fine when I login on my
    > admin account. But it won't work when my child logs in on his Limited
    > User account.
    >
    > Is there anyway I can give this script permission to kill the process
    > when my son logs on to his limited user account?
    >
    > (Or is there another approach I should consider?)
    Hi,

    Most likely you will need to use some kind of RunAs.

    Different RunAs products listed here, some free and some not, some
    with encryption option for the password as well:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FE0B42C.773CA875%40hydro.com

    Other ones not mentioned in the link above:

    SUperior SU (free, has a command line iterface)
    http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3

    LSrunas/LSrunasE (the latter with password encryption)
    http://www.linkselection.com/lsrunas.asp

    You may also want to check out PolicyMaker Application Security
    (previously NeoExec), the main difference is that it does not require
    the use of a second account, as most other RunAs derivatives requires.

    PolicyMaker Application Security
    http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerApplicationSecurity.aspx

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hi Gary,

    Yes, you need to modify the script to use runas. As Torgeir has suggested
    that you can use the third-party tool to achieve this goal, or use VB
    script. For how to use runas in script, please post the developed related
    question to MSDN newsgroup, which is located to:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

    Any udpate, let's get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen