Need to kill a process as Limited User

Tags:
  • Windows XP
June 15, 2005 8:22:09 AM

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on my kid's computer. I have content
filtering software installed, which works OK except it has a runaway
process that consumes up to 100% of the CPU. According to the software
company, I can kill the process and the program should still work OK.
(I've tried it and this seems to be the case.)

The problem process is started by cwhi.exe. I have a small bat file
that kills the process:

tskill cwhi

I put the bat file in the "Startup" directory under "All Users".

The bat file starts up and kills the process fine when I login on my
admin account. But it won't work when my child logs in on his Limited
User account.

Is there anyway I can give this script permission to kill the process
when my son logs on to his limited user account?

(Or is there another approach I should consider?)

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary

More about : kill process limited user

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:57:22 PM

Gary Z wrote:

> I'm running Windows XP SP2 on my kid's computer. I have content
> filtering software installed, which works OK except it has a runaway
> process that consumes up to 100% of the CPU. According to the software
> company, I can kill the process and the program should still work OK.
> (I've tried it and this seems to be the case.)
>
> The problem process is started by cwhi.exe. I have a small bat file
> that kills the process:
>
> tskill cwhi
>
> I put the bat file in the "Startup" directory under "All Users".
>
> The bat file starts up and kills the process fine when I login on my
> admin account. But it won't work when my child logs in on his Limited
> User account.
>
> Is there anyway I can give this script permission to kill the process
> when my son logs on to his limited user account?
>
> (Or is there another approach I should consider?)
Hi,

Most likely you will need to use some kind of RunAs.

Different RunAs products listed here, some free and some not, some
with encryption option for the password as well:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FE0B42C.773CA87...

Other ones not mentioned in the link above:

SUperior SU (free, has a command line iterface)
http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3

LSrunas/LSrunasE (the latter with password encryption)
http://www.linkselection.com/lsrunas.asp

You may also want to check out PolicyMaker Application Security
(previously NeoExec), the main difference is that it does not require
the use of a second account, as most other RunAs derivatives requires.

PolicyMaker Application Security
http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerApplicationSe...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 16, 2005 10:14:37 AM

Hi Gary,

Yes, you need to modify the script to use runas. As Torgeir has suggested
that you can use the third-party tool to achieve this goal, or use VB
script. For how to use runas in script, please post the developed related
question to MSDN newsgroup, which is located to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

Any udpate, let's get in touch!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen