mobility radeon 9700 problems: strange lines and graphics ..

Hi group,

i bought an ACER Aspire 2023 with an ATI mobility radeon 9700 128M.
Using a 3d application (a game), the graphics starts to had strange
errors like lines and dust in game, but exiting the game the problem
persist in the windows (XP) gui to.
I tried to reinstall the video drivers, the mother board drivers,
slowing down the AGP, but nothing change.
The only way to make the noise disappear is to set the hardware
acceleration to zero. But in this case no 3d application runs, like my
graphic card doesn't exist.

Does anybody had the same problem?
Any suggestion please?
Is possible to be an hardware problem?

thanks very much,
violink

violink@hotmail.com (violink) wrote in message news:<ac1ca4ed.0502171123.73063653@posting.google.com>...
> Hi group,
>
> i bought an ACER Aspire 2023 with an ATI mobility radeon 9700 128M.
> Using a 3d application (a game), the graphics starts to had strange
> errors like lines and dust in game, but exiting the game the problem
> persist in the windows (XP) gui to.
> I tried to reinstall the video drivers, the mother board drivers,
> slowing down the AGP, but nothing change.
> The only way to make the noise disappear is to set the hardware
> acceleration to zero. But in this case no 3d application runs, like my
> graphic card doesn't exist.
>
> Does anybody had the same problem?
> Any suggestion please?
> Is possible to be an hardware problem?
>
> thanks very much,
> violink

any ideas?

"violink" <violink@hotmail.com> wrote
>> i bought an ACER Aspire 2023 with an ATI mobility radeon 9700 128M.
>> Using a 3d application (a game), the graphics starts to had strange
>> errors like lines and dust in game, but exiting the game the problem
>> persist in the windows (XP) gui to.
> any ideas?

Perhaps the GPU is faulty and/or overheating.

As an experiment, download RadClocker

http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/download.htm

and *downclock* the core and memory to about half speed. If the problem goes
away, it's probably overheating. If the problem persists, most likely the
memory is bad.

"violink" <violink@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > i bought an ACER Aspire 2023 with an ATI mobility radeon 9700 128M.
> > Using a 3d application (a game), the graphics starts to had strange
> > errors like lines and dust in game, but exiting the game the problem
> > persist in the windows (XP) gui to.

downloading the core and memory the problem persist and in some case goes worse.
the screen becomes unreadable...
so it is an hardware problem,
don't you think?

thanks for your help,
violink

> As an experiment, download RadClocker
>
> http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/download.htm
>
> and *downclock* the core and memory to about half speed. If the problem goes
> away, it's probably overheating. If the problem persists, most likely the
> memory is bad.

> "violink" <violink@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > i bought an ACER Aspire 2023 with an ATI mobility radeon 9700 128M.
> > > Using a 3d application (a game), the graphics starts to had strange
> > > errors like lines and dust in game, but exiting the game the problem
> > > persist in the windows (XP) gui to.

I'm having the same problems with my ATI Radeon Mobile 9700. Exactly
as he describes. I've been through different drivers, screwed with
the settings for OpenGL and Direct3D, tried playing games on low
graphics, it still happens, although I'm not sure it ever has on
Brothers in Arms. But the rest of my rts games like Stronghold 2,
Empire Earth, and Civilization 3 suffer from this problem. Hopefully
someone here can help us out.

I purchased a laptop from CyberPower and it came with the ATI Mobility
Radeon 9700. I too am having the exact same problems, it doesn't
happen all the time, but give it time and theres vertical strips of
light black pixels coursing on my screen. Maybe it is an overheating
problem I'll have to try some underclocking, but this is really
angering. Card runs good, but this is unacceptable, you have to
reboot when this happens.