opinion about 9600 pro or 9800 se

killa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

I am looking at a new 9600 radeon pro for $105, and my friend wants to sell
his used 9800 se 256 bit for $100

just curious as to what you people would choose?

The SE model is noticeably slower. Not worth the small difference in price.

--
DaveW

"Killa" <killa@thrilla.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at a new 9600 radeon pro for $105, and my friend wants to sell
> his used 9800 se 256 bit for $100
>
> just curious as to what you people would choose?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Killa" <killa@thrilla.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at a new 9600 radeon pro for $105, and my friend wants to sell
> his used 9800 se 256 bit for $100
>
> just curious as to what you people would choose?

according to this guide
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html
the 9800se is 128bit not 256. it has slower core speed and faster memory.
some ppl find they can mod the card to a 9800pro just
by using the omega drivers - ask your friend if he has tried that.
even if you cant mod it the performance is still a bit better than the
9600pro so its worth it.

"Killa" <killa@thrilla.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at a new 9600 radeon pro for $105, and my friend wants to sell
> his used 9800 se 256 bit for $100

The 9800SE without question. If it's a 256bit one. There was also a 4
pipeline 128bit version. The 256bit 9800SE has basically double the
bandwidth of a 9600 Pro.

> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html
> the 9800se is 128bit not 256. it has slower core speed and faster memory.
> some ppl find they can mod the card to a 9800pro just
> by using the omega drivers - ask your friend if he has tried that.
> even if you cant mod it the performance is still a bit better than the
> 9600pro so its worth it.

There's two versions of the 9800SE......
http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Killa wrote:
> I am looking at a new 9600 radeon pro for $105, and my friend wants to sell
> his used 9800 se 256 bit for $100
>
> just curious as to what you people would choose?

A 9800SE definitely.At stock speeds/4 pipelines it's still better than a
9600Pro and if you unlock the extra 4 pipelines you get a 9800/Pro.

In article <A1tRd.17886$8B3.4722@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Sleepy
says...

> according to this guide
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html
> the 9800se is 128bit not 256. it has slower core speed and faster memory.
> some ppl find they can mod the card to a 9800pro just
> by using the omega drivers - ask your friend if he has tried that.

My 9800SE AIW is 256 bit...

--
Conor

-- George Patton

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> The SE model is noticeably slower. Not worth the small difference in
> price.

You're seriously suggesting that the 9800SE is slower than the 9600 Pro?
Read his post....he's not asking about a choice between a 9800 Pro and a
9800SE.

In article <3jwRd.2476$NN.1600@edtnps89>, Augustus says...

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > The SE model is noticeably slower. Not worth the small difference in
> > price.
>
> You're seriously suggesting that the 9800SE is slower than the 9600 Pro?
> Read his post....he's not asking about a choice between a 9800 Pro and a
> 9800SE.

When I had to RMA a 9800Pro and the only other cards they had in stock
were a 9800SE AIW and a 9600 Pro, the shop recommended the 9600 Pro
even though it meant them giving me more money back as it was cheaper.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

In article <hPFRd.1815$Y2.696@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>, Veritech says...
> What about the 9600XT?
>
> This is closer to the 9800 se, and can possibly out perform it
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-04.html
>
> i would get the xt,

Why when a Pro will O/C to XT speeds? I've got a 9800SE AIW running at
9800XT core/mem speeds.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

If it's a Powercolor 9800se it's definitely 256 bit and clocked 380/340 so
it will walk all over a
9600Pro. Also a good chance it can be modded to a full 9800Pro.