Is there any way I can get Half Life source?

I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life Source
through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one version
of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or not?

Thanks in advance.
----
http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
19 answers Last reply
More about half life source

    "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
    >Source
    > through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
    > version
    > of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
    > not?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > ----
    > http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020

    I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if I
    known this.

    kaydigi wrote:
    > "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
    >>Source
    >>through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
    >>version
    >>of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
    >>not?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>----
    >>http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
    >>

    > I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if I
    > known this.

    Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
    Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
    but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
    simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
    mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
    one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
    retail version.

    So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
    Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot
    upgrade directly; you have to create another Steam account and
    purchasing a full-price package again. It's not worth it.

    Do some more research next time.

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > kaydigi wrote:
    >> "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
    >>>Source
    >>>through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
    >>>version
    >>>of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
    >>>not?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>----
    >>>http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
    >>>

    >> I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if
    >> I known this.
    >
    > Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
    > Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
    > but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
    > simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
    > mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
    > one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
    > retail version.
    >
    > So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
    > Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot upgrade
    > directly; you have to create another Steam account and purchasing a
    > full-price package again. It's not worth it.
    >
    > Do some more research next time.

    It was a Christmas Gift

    kaydigi wrote:
    > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>kaydigi wrote:
    >>
    >>>"K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>>I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if
    >>>I known this.
    >>
    >>Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
    >>Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
    >>but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
    >>simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
    >>mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
    >>one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
    >>retail version.
    >>
    >>So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
    >>Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot upgrade
    >>directly; you have to create another Steam account and purchasing a
    >>full-price package again. It's not worth it.
    >>
    >>Do some more research next time.
    >

    > It was a Christmas Gift

    Let me quote you:

    >>>I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version
    >>>if I known this.

    That makes you the purchaser, hence your responsibility to know what was
    being sold to you.

    Steve Mellor wrote:

    > > Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
    > > Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it
    > > doesn't matter where you live.
    >
    > All that was available in the UK when I bought the game - when it was
    first
    > released - was the DVD bog-standard edition. On the one hand I'm
    pretty
    > pissed off that I can't buy HLS, and on the other hand I think, well,
    sod
    > them then. I mean, how difficult would it be? They make a big fuss
    about
    > fighting piracy and then hand over an excellent excuse on a plate.

    It most certainly is available in the UK, in a bright shiny metal tin.
    It came out a little while after the standard version, possibly before
    Xmas.
    http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=325016

    "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
    Source
    > through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
    version
    > of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
    not?

    > Thanks in advance.
    > ----
    > http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020

    Judging from all the previous posts to this thread, i guess it is not
    possible.... I'd like to have it too.
    But if i can not buy Half Life:Source separately, why is it in my Steam's
    game-list!!??
    I open Steam, see Half Life:Source as an item in my games list, and it
    provides an option to buy it! But you can not buy it!

    Therefore I hope that in the future it may be possible to buy HL:Source. If
    not, why would they show HL:Source my game-list?

    "kaydigi" wrote

    > It was a Christmas Gift
    Write an email to Valve is the best you can do

    - Peter

    Westman wrote:

    >>> Do some more research next time.

    Well, that's really helpful.

    --

    /mel/

    Chadwick wrote:

    >>> Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
    >>> Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it
    >>> doesn't matter where you live.
    >>
    >> All that was available in the UK when I bought the game - when it
    >> was first released - was the DVD bog-standard edition. On the one
    >> hand I'm pretty pissed off that I can't buy HLS, and on the other
    >> hand I think, well, sod them then. I mean, how difficult would it
    >> be? They make a big fuss about fighting piracy and then hand over an
    >> excellent excuse on a plate.
    >>
    > It most certainly is available in the UK, in a bright shiny metal tin.
    > It came out a little while after the standard version, possibly before
    > Xmas.
    > http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=325016

    There you go then, don't support your friendly neighbourhood software
    developer by being first in line to buy their wares.
    --

    /mel/

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "kaydigi" wrote
    >
    >> It was a Christmas Gift
    > Write an email to Valve is the best you can do
    >
    > - Peter

    It's not life or death. I can wait. If I had the choice I would have never
    bothered with the retial version.

    > That makes you the purchaser, hence your responsibility to know what was
    > being sold to you.

    You are an idiot.

    It's not life or death. I asked for it for Christmas. I'd assumed that you
    can buy additional games off of steam. Installed games and found out you
    can't. I wish never bought the retail one. Big whoop.

    Who sets up a store where you can't buy additional products, all valve is
    doing stopping people from acting on impulse purchases.

    So Gfree fall back. Gfree = Usenet nerds who hide behind servers.

    It does if you're more than 5 miles from the telephone exchange, so you
    can't get broadband.

    Civilian_Target

    Westman wrote:
    > Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
    > Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it doesn't
    > matter where you live.

    > Do some more research next time.

    I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research should
    one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2 someone
    may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
    still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
    purchase.

    "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > Do some more research next time.
    >
    > I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research
    should
    > one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2
    someone
    > may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
    > still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
    > purchase.

    because valve is full of a bunch of greedy bastards ;op

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    They will grasshopper, have patience... :)

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:22:51 -0500, "HoneymOoneRS"
    <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

    >> Do some more research next time.
    >
    >I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research should
    >one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2 someone
    >may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
    >still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
    >purchase.

    "By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well --
    a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
    who feel its power, it burns those who fight
    its progress, and one day this untamed fire
    of freedom will reach the darkest corners
    of our world."

    George Bush - Second inaugural speech

    Margolis wrote:

    > because valve is full of a bunch of greedy bastards ;op

    BLASPHEMY!! Blasphemy, I say! ;-)
    --
    -Acercanto (young pup)
    user:forestman domain:vt.edu

    I am one that DID do some research and bought the Silver package, but I have
    friends that bought the boxed version (despite my lecturing) that now are
    interested in Half-Life 1 who never played it before. I know I mentioned it
    to them, but they only wanted to spend $40 for the game and not $60 or more
    which I don't blame them. Now that they decided that they DO like it,
    they're screwed.

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    > They will grasshopper, have patience... :)
    >
    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:22:51 -0500, "HoneymOoneRS"
    > <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>> Do some more research next time.
    >>
    >>I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research
    >>should
    >>one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2
    >>someone
    >>may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
    >>still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
    >>purchase.
    >>

    > "By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well --
    > a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
    > who feel its power, it burns those who fight
    > its progress, and one day this untamed fire
    > of freedom will reach the darkest corners
    > of our world."
    >
    > George Bush - Second inaugural speech

DVD Games Video Games