Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is there any way I can get Half Life source?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 2, 2005 6:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life Source
through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one version
of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or not?

Thanks in advance.
----
http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020

More about : half life source

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:26:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:36ca1gF4up5j9U1@individual.net...
>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
>Source
> through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
> version
> of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
> not?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> ----
> http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
>
>

I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if I
known this.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:35:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

kaydigi wrote:
> "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:36ca1gF4up5j9U1@individual.net...
>
>>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
>>Source
>>through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
>>version
>>of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
>>not?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>----
>>http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
>>
>>
>
>
> I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if I
> known this.
>

Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
retail version.

So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot
upgrade directly; you have to create another Steam account and
purchasing a full-price package again. It's not worth it.

Do some more research next time.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:01:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:42019c08$1@yorrell.saard.net...
> kaydigi wrote:
>> "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:36ca1gF4up5j9U1@individual.net...
>>
>>>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
>>>Source
>>>through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
>>>version
>>>of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
>>>not?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>----
>>>http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if
>> I known this.
>
> Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
> Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
> but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
> simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
> mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
> one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
> retail version.
>
> So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
> Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot upgrade
> directly; you have to create another Steam account and purchasing a
> full-price package again. It's not worth it.
>
> Do some more research next time.


It was a Christmas Gift
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

kaydigi wrote:
> "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> news:42019c08$1@yorrell.saard.net...
>
>>kaydigi wrote:
>>
>>>"K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>news:36ca1gF4up5j9U1@individual.net...
>>>
>>>
>>>>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
>>>>Source
>>>>through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
>>>>version
>>>>of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
>>>>not?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>>----
>>>>http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if
>>>I known this.
>>
>>Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
>>Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
>>but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
>>simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
>>mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
>>one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
>>retail version.
>>
>>So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
>>Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot upgrade
>>directly; you have to create another Steam account and purchasing a
>>full-price package again. It's not worth it.
>>
>>Do some more research next time.
>
>
>
> It was a Christmas Gift
>
>

Let me quote you:

>>>I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version
>>>if I known this.

That makes you the purchaser, hence your responsibility to know what was
being sold to you.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:29:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Steve Mellor wrote:
>> >> The collectors edition wasn't released in Europe.
> >
> > Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
> > Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it
> > doesn't matter where you live.
>
> All that was available in the UK when I bought the game - when it was
first
> released - was the DVD bog-standard edition. On the one hand I'm
pretty
> pissed off that I can't buy HLS, and on the other hand I think, well,
sod
> them then. I mean, how difficult would it be? They make a big fuss
about
> fighting piracy and then hand over an excellent excuse on a plate.
>
It most certainly is available in the UK, in a bright shiny metal tin.
It came out a little while after the standard version, possibly before
Xmas.
http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=325...
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:22:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:36ca1gF4up5j9U1@individual.net...
> I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
Source
> through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
version
> of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
not?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> ----
> http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
>
>

Judging from all the previous posts to this thread, i guess it is not
possible.... I'd like to have it too.
But if i can not buy Half Life:Source separately, why is it in my Steam's
game-list!!??
I open Steam, see Half Life:Source as an item in my games list, and it
provides an option to buy it! But you can not buy it!

Therefore I hope that in the future it may be possible to buy HL:Source. If
not, why would they show HL:Source my game-list?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:56:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"kaydigi" wrote

> It was a Christmas Gift
Write an email to Valve is the best you can do

- Peter
February 3, 2005 2:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:42019c08$1@yorrell.saard.net...
> kaydigi wrote:
> > "K9" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:36ca1gF4up5j9U1@individual.net...
> >
> >>I bought the UK DVD edition of Half Life2. If I try to get Half Life
> >>Source
> >>through steam I get some message about only being allowed to buy one
> >>version
> >>of Half Life2, so is there any way at all I can get Half Life Source or
> >>not?
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance.
> >>----
> >>http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version if
I
> > known this.
> >
>
> Well, there are two versions of retail HL2: Regular and Collectors
> Edition. The primary difference is that the Collectors edition has HL:S,
> but the regular doesn't. If you bought the regular version, you cannot
> simply goto Steam and try to download it seperately, yet. Valve have
> mentioned how they may in the future provide support for upgrading from
> one Steam package to a higher version, but I doubt they're refering to
> retail version.
>
> So in short, there are only three ways to currently get HL:S: Collectors
> Edition (Retail), or the Silver or Gold Steam packages. You cannot
> upgrade directly; you have to create another Steam account and
> purchasing a full-price package again. It's not worth it.
>
> Do some more research next time.

The collectors edition wasn't released in Europe.
----
http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:07:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> Do some more research next time.
>
> The collectors edition wasn't released in Europe.

Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it doesn't
matter where you live.


> ----
> http://www.mobwar.com/page.php?x=59020
>
>
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:58:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Westman wrote:

>>> Do some more research next time.

Well, that's really helpful.

>> The collectors edition wasn't released in Europe.
>
> Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
> Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it
> doesn't matter where you live.

All that was available in the UK when I bought the game - when it was first
released - was the DVD bog-standard edition. On the one hand I'm pretty
pissed off that I can't buy HLS, and on the other hand I think, well, sod
them then. I mean, how difficult would it be? They make a big fuss about
fighting piracy and then hand over an excellent excuse on a plate.

--

/mel/
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Chadwick wrote:
> Steve Mellor wrote:
>>>>> The collectors edition wasn't released in Europe.
>>>
>>> Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
>>> Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it
>>> doesn't matter where you live.
>>
>> All that was available in the UK when I bought the game - when it
>> was first released - was the DVD bog-standard edition. On the one
>> hand I'm pretty pissed off that I can't buy HLS, and on the other
>> hand I think, well, sod them then. I mean, how difficult would it
>> be? They make a big fuss about fighting piracy and then hand over an
>> excellent excuse on a plate.
>>
> It most certainly is available in the UK, in a bright shiny metal tin.
> It came out a little while after the standard version, possibly before
> Xmas.
> http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=325...

There you go then, don't support your friendly neighbourhood software
developer by being first in line to buy their wares.
--

/mel/
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:36eaquF4uod8oU1@individual.net...
> "kaydigi" wrote
>
>> It was a Christmas Gift
> Write an email to Valve is the best you can do
>
> - Peter


It's not life or death. I can wait. If I had the choice I would have never
bothered with the retial version.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:16:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>
> >>>I'm wondering that also. I would have never bought the retail version
> >>>if I known this.
>
> That makes you the purchaser, hence your responsibility to know what was
> being sold to you.


You are an idiot.

It's not life or death. I asked for it for Christmas. I'd assumed that you
can buy additional games off of steam. Installed games and found out you
can't. I wish never bought the retail one. Big whoop.

Who sets up a store where you can't buy additional products, all valve is
doing stopping people from acting on impulse purchases.


So Gfree fall back. Gfree = Usenet nerds who hide behind servers.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

It does if you're more than 5 miles from the telephone exchange, so you
can't get broadband.

Civilian_Target

Westman wrote:
> Yes it was. I just saw it yesterday in the local musicstore. (The
> Netherlands). Or maybe it was imported. Still, through Steam it doesn't
> matter where you live.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:22:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Do some more research next time.

I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research should
one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2 someone
may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
purchase.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:28:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:rc6dnQfrCtZCsJnfRVn-2A@comcast.com...
>
> > Do some more research next time.
>
> I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research
should
> one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2
someone
> may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
> still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
> purchase.
>
>


because valve is full of a bunch of greedy bastards ;op

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:31:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

They will grasshopper, have patience... :) 

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:22:51 -0500, "HoneymOoneRS"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

>
>> Do some more research next time.
>
>I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research should
>one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2 someone
>may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
>still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
>purchase.
>


"By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well --
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power, it burns those who fight
its progress, and one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners
of our world."

George Bush - Second inaugural speech
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:29:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Margolis wrote:
>
> because valve is full of a bunch of greedy bastards ;op
>
BLASPHEMY!! Blasphemy, I say! ;-)
--
-Acercanto (young pup)
user:forestman domain:vt.edu
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:48:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I am one that DID do some research and bought the Silver package, but I have
friends that bought the boxed version (despite my lecturing) that now are
interested in Half-Life 1 who never played it before. I know I mentioned it
to them, but they only wanted to spend $40 for the game and not $60 or more
which I don't blame them. Now that they decided that they DO like it,
they're screwed.


"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
news:a0c8011ejscdkahtk5l4c1cnr1e3kfbajs@4ax.com...
> They will grasshopper, have patience... :) 
>
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:22:51 -0500, "HoneymOoneRS"
> <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>> Do some more research next time.
>>
>>I hate people who say this. This is a goddamn game! How much research
>>should
>>one do for a $40-50 purchase??? And maybe after playing Half-Life 2
>>someone
>>may realize that Half-Life 1 is available in Source and want to buy it. I
>>still don't get why they won't at least offer it as a separate upgrade or
>>purchase.
>>
>
>
> "By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well --
> a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
> who feel its power, it burns those who fight
> its progress, and one day this untamed fire
> of freedom will reach the darkest corners
> of our world."
>
> George Bush - Second inaugural speech
!