Unencrypt encrypted files after HD crash

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Hello:

I was running WinXP off a 2 partition HD. Primary partition crashed. I
have a bunch of confidential docs on the second partition. I stuck the
drive into an external enclosure but my laptop couldnt copy the encrypted
files.

I got a new HD, stuck it in the original machine, installed fresh WinXP, but
that machine couldnt read the files either. I restored an early image of
WinXP on my crashed partition, stuck that back in the machine, and couldnt
copy or read the files either.

Now, my orig partition logged in as admin with a password; none of my
reimaged or reinstalled XP boots had that.

Question:

Can I boot to my orig UID and PW, on a NEW HD partition, and unencrypt these
files when the old HD is in an external enclosure? Or do I need to boot the
ORIG HD, with my UID and PW, to unencrypt?

Or am I SOL?

I suppose this data isnt absolutely necessary, as I have tax returns and
hardcopy, but I want to give it a shot.

"Bernie" <no_curiouschimp at hotmail dotcom_spam> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I was running WinXP off a 2 partition HD. Primary partition crashed. I
> have a bunch of confidential docs on the second partition. I stuck the
> drive into an external enclosure but my laptop couldnt copy the encrypted
> files.
>
> I got a new HD, stuck it in the original machine, installed fresh WinXP,
> but
> that machine couldnt read the files either. I restored an early image of
> WinXP on my crashed partition, stuck that back in the machine, and couldnt
> copy or read the files either.
>
> Now, my orig partition logged in as admin with a password; none of my
> reimaged or reinstalled XP boots had that.
>
> Question:
>
> Can I boot to my orig UID and PW, on a NEW HD partition, and unencrypt
> these
> files when the old HD is in an external enclosure? Or do I need to boot
> the
> ORIG HD, with my UID and PW, to unencrypt?
>
> Or am I SOL?
>
> I suppose this data isnt absolutely necessary, as I have tax returns and
> hardcopy, but I want to give it a shot.

If you encrypted the data and did not save a backup of the Encryption Keys
to floppy or CD, as you were promoted to do, then you are indeed SOL. The
encryption algorithms used are for all intents and purposes unbreakable.

Next time, be absolutely certain to back up your keys!!!!

Bobby

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I didnt get a prompt to save encryption keys.

If you highlight a file, right click, choose properties, advanced and
"encrypt contents", you're never prompted to save encryption keys -- or even
allowed to do so.

For Encryption Details, there is a window that says "data recovery agents
for this filed as defined by recover policy:" but also, nothing that says I
can save keys anywhere.

-b

> "Bernie" <no_curiouschimp at hotmail dotcom_spam> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I was running WinXP off a 2 partition HD. Primary partition crashed. I
> > have a bunch of confidential docs on the second partition. I stuck the
> > drive into an external enclosure but my laptop couldnt copy the
encrypted
> > files.
> >
> > I got a new HD, stuck it in the original machine, installed fresh WinXP,
> > but
> > that machine couldnt read the files either. I restored an early image
of
> > WinXP on my crashed partition, stuck that back in the machine, and
couldnt
> > copy or read the files either.
> >
> > Now, my orig partition logged in as admin with a password; none of my
> > reimaged or reinstalled XP boots had that.
> >
> > Question:
> >
> > Can I boot to my orig UID and PW, on a NEW HD partition, and unencrypt
> > these
> > files when the old HD is in an external enclosure? Or do I need to boot
> > the
> > ORIG HD, with my UID and PW, to unencrypt?
> >
> > Or am I SOL?
> >
> > I suppose this data isnt absolutely necessary, as I have tax returns and
> > hardcopy, but I want to give it a shot.
> >

> If you encrypted the data and did not save a backup of the Encryption Keys
> to floppy or CD, as you were promoted to do, then you are indeed SOL. The
> encryption algorithms used are for all intents and purposes unbreakable.
>
> Next time, be absolutely certain to back up your keys!!!!
>
> Bobby

When you encrypt a file, you should receive a prompt to back up the keys.
If not, you can use Help and Support to learn how to save your encryption
keys.

Bobby