Recurring spyware installs

I have MS Anti Spyware Beta installed and it works fine in terms of realtime
detection of loaded spyware and removal. No problems there. However, once I
was infected, the same spyware programs keep loading when I go to my normal
browsed websites that never had the problem. I can remove it each time, but
this happens every time I visit these websites.
--
cyk
1 answer Last reply

    cyk123 wrote:
    > I have MS Anti Spyware Beta installed and it works fine in terms of realtime
    > detection of loaded spyware and removal. No problems there. However, once I
    > was infected, the same spyware programs keep loading when I go to my normal
    > browsed websites that never had the problem. I can remove it each time, but
    > this happens every time I visit these websites.

    This indicates that you are not getting the computer clean. While MSAS
    looks promising, it is still in beta. "Beta" means software that isn't
    finished yet and is still in the bug-checking phase. Also, you need more
    than one antispyware removal tool. Go through these general malware
    removal steps systematically. It is crucial that you do everything with
    updated tools in Safe Mode.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
    malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe Mode.
    You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on my
    website here:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not install
    the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
    website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your HJT
    log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the Restore
    Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely. With XP,
    you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore
    point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers