9600XT and Driver problems (Black Screen)

Everytime I load new drivers for the 9600XT I get a black screen, although
the system loads. When I do a re-set the monitor usually goes to yellow
and I have to power down, and then power back up.

When I remove everything ATI, including entries in the registry...all files
ati*.* my system starts up fine. I have tried the 4.12's thru 5.2 with the
same results.

Would you think this is a problem with card, or the drivers with XP Pro? I
am running SP2.

I have had this card for two years. I started having problems
when I installed drivers from 4.12 to 5.1.

Thank you
Rick

I decided to try the new Omega drivers and this seemed to solve my
problems...

"Rick Sweeney" <rick@webspin-design.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I load new drivers for the 9600XT I get a black screen, although
> the system loads. When I do a re-set the monitor usually goes to yellow
> and I have to power down, and then power back up.
>
> When I remove everything ATI, including entries in the registry...all
> files ati*.* my system starts up fine. I have tried the 4.12's thru 5.2
> with the same results.
>
> Would you think this is a problem with card, or the drivers with XP Pro? I
> am running SP2.
>
> I have had this card for two years. I started having problems
> when I installed drivers from 4.12 to 5.1.
>
> Thank you
> Rick

In article <886Sd.7019$x53.642@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Rick
Sweeney says...
> Everytime I load new drivers for the 9600XT I get a black screen, although
> the system loads. When I do a re-set the monitor usually goes to yellow
> and I have to power down, and then power back up.
>
> When I remove everything ATI, including entries in the registry...all files
> ati*.* my system starts up fine. I have tried the 4.12's thru 5.2 with the
> same results.
>
> Would you think this is a problem with card, or the drivers with XP Pro? I
> am running SP2.
>
> I have had this card for two years. I started having problems
> when I installed drivers from 4.12 to 5.1.

Did you follow the requirement to disable AV software?

--
Conor

-- George Patton

What are you referring too? I did not see this information in the
installation guide.

Rick

"Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <886Sd.7019$x53.642@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Rick
> Sweeney says...
>> Everytime I load new drivers for the 9600XT I get a black screen,
>> although
>> the system loads. When I do a re-set the monitor usually goes to yellow
>> and I have to power down, and then power back up.
>>
>> When I remove everything ATI, including entries in the registry...all
>> files
>> ati*.* my system starts up fine. I have tried the 4.12's thru 5.2 with
>> the
>> same results.
>>
>> Would you think this is a problem with card, or the drivers with XP Pro?
>> am running SP2.
>>
>> I have had this card for two years. I started having problems
>> when I installed drivers from 4.12 to 5.1.
>>
> Did you follow the requirement to disable AV software?
>

> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

"Rick Sweeney" <rick@webspin-design.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I load new drivers for the 9600XT I get a black screen, although
> the system loads. When I do a re-set the monitor usually goes to yellow
> and I have to power down, and then power back up.
>
> When I remove everything ATI, including entries in the registry...all
> files ati*.* my system starts up fine. I have tried the 4.12's thru 5.2
> with the same results.
>
> Would you think this is a problem with card, or the drivers with XP Pro? I
> am running SP2.
>
> I have had this card for two years. I started having problems
> when I installed drivers from 4.12 to 5.1.
>
> Thank you

try the cat-uninstaller from Ati website - it will fix the problem if it is
driver(debris) related.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0508-0, 21/02/2005
Tested on: 22/02/2005 1:19:44 PM

Thanks for that...