When Is Power Cable Required on RADEON X800?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2005 3:43:17 PM

When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
your card requires an external power connection...." How can
you tell which type you have?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
February 21, 2005 12:00:54 AM

If the card has an external power connection it is needed. The reason the
ATI instructions are vague is they cover a multitude of different cards. The
seller is telling you wrong.

--

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
> the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
> and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
> required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
> ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
> your card requires an external power connection...." How can
> you tell which type you have?
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:00:55 AM

What functions will the external power connection provide?
What would be the expected behavior of the card if the power is
not plugged in? The seller is claiming he tested the card
without supply an external power connection.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> If the card has an external power connection it is needed. The
reason the
> ATI instructions are vague is they cover a multitude of
different cards. The
> seller is telling you wrong.
>
> --
>
> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> > When is a separate power connector to the main power supply
of
> > the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an
X800 SE
> > and the seller is claiming that no external power connection
is
> > required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
> > ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like
"If
> > your card requires an external power connection...." How
can
> > you tell which type you have?
> >
> > --
> > Will
> > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

February 21, 2005 12:27:19 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:43:17 -0800, "Will"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:

>When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
>the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
>and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
>required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
>ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
>your card requires an external power connection...." How can
>you tell which type you have?

I'm not aware of any x800 that does not have a full MOLEX connector.

Are you saying that yours does not have a connector ?

Or if it does - use it, and make sure nothing else [ other than the
video card ] is connected to that cable.

Which card do you have ?

¸ô¶ó
February 21, 2005 1:01:58 AM

The function of the connector is to supply the power needed by the GPU. The
mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to carry the current
needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12 V connectors on
modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT THE
POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is the big deal
anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.

--

> What functions will the external power connection provide?
> What would be the expected behavior of the card if the power is
> not plugged in? The seller is claiming he tested the card
> without supply an external power connection.
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
>

> "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> If the card has an external power connection it is needed. The
> reason the
>> ATI instructions are vague is they cover a multitude of
> different cards. The
>> seller is telling you wrong.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
>> > When is a separate power connector to the main power supply
> of
>> > the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an
> X800 SE
>> > and the seller is claiming that no external power connection
> is
>> > required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
>> > ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like
> "If
>> > your card requires an external power connection...." How
> can
>> > you tell which type you have?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Will
>> > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:01:59 AM

Does this change with PCI Express?

I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> The function of the connector is to supply the power needed by
the GPU. The
> mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to
carry the current
> needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12 V
connectors on
> modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK
WITHOUT THE
> POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is the
big deal
> anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.
February 21, 2005 1:14:07 AM

PCI-e supplies more power, but still not enough for the most power hungry
chips, most still have the external floppy connector on them. They have the
cable you nedd at any store that sells computer equipment. even Wal mart has
the splitter cables.

--

> Does this change with PCI Express?
>
> I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
>

> "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> The function of the connector is to supply the power needed by
> the GPU. The
>> mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to
> carry the current
>> needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12 V
> connectors on
>> modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK
> WITHOUT THE
>> POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is the
> big deal
>> anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 3:00:03 AM

borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:42:26 -0000, "Ben Pope"
> <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
>>> I'm not aware of any x800 that does not have a full MOLEX connector.
>
>> X800XL. I think it's the only one though (although that'll probably
>> bite me like it bit you :-p)
>
> Can't see how it will handle the wattage, and yes it ' bit ' me. I
> know ASUS don't follow the ATi spec on power supply.

AFAIK it's on an 110nm process (albeit not SOI), so it should be quite good
with power requirements.

It's not just an Asus product,

Sapphire have them:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/x800-xl.asp

Powercolor:
http://www.power-color.com/PCIE_X800_R43C-TVD3D.htm

Gigabyte:
http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-RX80L...

err... probably others.

Ben
February 21, 2005 5:01:19 AM

In article <taSdnQff9eL7a4XfRVn-2g@giganews.com>, Will says...
> When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
> the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
> and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
> required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
> ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
> your card requires an external power connection...." How can
> you tell which type you have?

You need to use it when using 3D.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:51:29 PM

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> Does this change with PCI Express?
>
> I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.

If it's anything like the 9800 Pro, it just uses a standard 3.5" floppy
drive connector; you don't need the big splitter/5.25" converter that ATI
includes (but remember to NOT install the connector backwards - something
that can be done if you try hard enough with the 3.5" type connector - or
you'll fry the card!).

- Daniel
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:04:51 PM

If you don't use the external power cable on a PCI-E RADEON X800,
what is the result? With AGP I guess the card will sound an
alarm condition at power on. With PCI-E I gather the board will
power on okay and the motherboard will continue to work. But
will the GPU run at a lower speed?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
news:p Y7Sd.43358$XY5.11019@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> PCI-e supplies more power, but still not enough for the most
power hungry
> chips, most still have the external floppy connector on them.
They have the
> cable you nedd at any store that sells computer equipment. even
Wal mart has
> the splitter cables.
>
> --
>
> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> > Does this change with PCI Express?
> >
> > I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.
> >
> > --
> > Will
> > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
> >

> > "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> >> The function of the connector is to supply the power needed
by
> > the GPU. The
> >> mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to
> > carry the current
> >> needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12
> > connectors on
> >> modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK
> > WITHOUT THE
> >> POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is
the
> > big deal
> >> anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:35:20 AM

If there is a power connector on the card, it is there for a reason!
:)

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

!