you tell which type you have?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
11 answers Last reply
More about when power cable required radeon x800

    If the card has an external power connection it is needed. The reason the
    ATI instructions are vague is they cover a multitude of different cards. The
    seller is telling you wrong.

    --

    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    > When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
    > the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
    > and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
    > required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
    > ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
    > your card requires an external power connection...." How can
    > you tell which type you have?
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    What functions will the external power connection provide?
    What would be the expected behavior of the card if the power is
    not plugged in? The seller is claiming he tested the card
    without supply an external power connection.

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > If the card has an external power connection it is needed. The
    reason the
    > ATI instructions are vague is they cover a multitude of
    different cards. The
    > seller is telling you wrong.
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    > > When is a separate power connector to the main power supply
    of
    > > the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an
    X800 SE
    > > and the seller is claiming that no external power connection
    is
    > > required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
    > > ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like
    "If
    > > your card requires an external power connection...." How
    can
    > > you tell which type you have?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Will
    > > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:43:17 -0800, "Will"
    <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:

    >When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
    >the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
    >and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
    >required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
    >ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
    >your card requires an external power connection...." How can
    >you tell which type you have?

    I'm not aware of any x800 that does not have a full MOLEX connector.

    Are you saying that yours does not have a connector ?

    Or if it does - use it, and make sure nothing else [ other than the
    video card ] is connected to that cable.

    Which card do you have ?

    ¸ô¶ó

    The function of the connector is to supply the power needed by the GPU. The
    mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to carry the current
    needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12 V connectors on
    modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT THE
    POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is the big deal
    anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.

    --

    > What functions will the external power connection provide?
    > What would be the expected behavior of the card if the power is
    > not plugged in? The seller is claiming he tested the card
    > without supply an external power connection.
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
    >

    > "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    >> If the card has an external power connection it is needed. The
    > reason the
    >> ATI instructions are vague is they cover a multitude of
    > different cards. The
    >> seller is telling you wrong.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    >> > When is a separate power connector to the main power supply
    > of
    >> > the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an
    > X800 SE
    >> > and the seller is claiming that no external power connection
    > is
    >> > required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
    >> > ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like
    > "If
    >> > your card requires an external power connection...." How
    > can
    >> > you tell which type you have?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Will
    >> > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    Does this change with PCI Express?

    I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > The function of the connector is to supply the power needed by
    the GPU. The
    > mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to
    carry the current
    > needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12 V
    connectors on
    > modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK
    WITHOUT THE
    > POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is the
    big deal
    > anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.

    PCI-e supplies more power, but still not enough for the most power hungry
    chips, most still have the external floppy connector on them. They have the
    cable you nedd at any store that sells computer equipment. even Wal mart has
    the splitter cables.

    --

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:42:26 -0000, "Ben Pope"
    > <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    >>> I'm not aware of any x800 that does not have a full MOLEX connector.
    >
    >> X800XL. I think it's the only one though (although that'll probably
    >> bite me like it bit you :-p)
    >
    > Can't see how it will handle the wattage, and yes it ' bit ' me. I
    > know ASUS don't follow the ATi spec on power supply.

    AFAIK it's on an 110nm process (albeit not SOI), so it should be quite good
    with power requirements.

    It's not just an Asus product,

    Sapphire have them:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/x800-xl.asp

    Powercolor:
    http://www.power-color.com/PCIE_X800_R43C-TVD3D.htm

    Gigabyte:
    http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-RX80L256V.htm

    err... probably others.

    Ben

    In article <taSdnQff9eL7a4XfRVn-2g@giganews.com>, Will says...
    > When is a separate power connector to the main power supply of
    > the PC required for an X800 video card? I purchased an X800 SE
    > and the seller is claiming that no external power connection is
    > required to use the card. ATI's own documentation is
    > ambiguous. It begs the question by giving directions like "If
    > your card requires an external power connection...." How can
    > you tell which type you have?

    You need to use it when using 3D.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    > Does this change with PCI Express?
    >
    > I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.

    If it's anything like the 9800 Pro, it just uses a standard 3.5" floppy
    drive connector; you don't need the big splitter/5.25" converter that ATI
    includes (but remember to NOT install the connector backwards - something
    that can be done if you try hard enough with the 3.5" type connector - or
    you'll fry the card!).

    - Daniel

    If you don't use the external power cable on a PCI-E RADEON X800,
    what is the result? With AGP I guess the card will sound an
    alarm condition at power on. With PCI-E I gather the board will
    power on okay and the motherboard will continue to work. But
    will the GPU run at a lower speed?

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > PCI-e supplies more power, but still not enough for the most
    power hungry
    > chips, most still have the external floppy connector on them.
    They have the
    > cable you nedd at any store that sells computer equipment. even
    Wal mart has
    > the splitter cables.
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    > > Does this change with PCI Express?
    > >
    > > I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Will
    > > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
    > >

    > > "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > >> The function of the connector is to supply the power needed
    by
    > > the GPU. The
    > >> mobo traces going into the AGP slot are not wide enough to
    > > carry the current
    > >> needed by the modern processors. Much the same is the ATX 12
    > > connectors on
    > >> modern MOBO near the CPU to provide power. IT WILL NOT WORK
    > > WITHOUT THE
    > >> POWER CONNECTOR AND YOU MAY FRY YOUR MOBO TRYING. What is
    the
    > > big deal
    > >> anyway, hook it up and be done with it already.

    If there is a power connector on the card, it is there for a reason!
    :)

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

    Will wrote:
    > If you don't use the external power cable on a PCI-E RADEON X800,
    > what is the result? With AGP I guess the card will sound an
    > alarm condition at power on. With PCI-E I gather the board will
    > power on okay and the motherboard will continue to work. But
    > will the GPU run at a lower speed?
    >

    > "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    >> PCI-e supplies more power, but still not enough for the most power
    >> hungry chips, most still have the external floppy connector on them.
    >> They have the cable you nedd at any store that sells computer
    >> equipment. even Wal mart has the splitter cables.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    >>> Does this change with PCI Express?
    >>>
    >>> I can't hook it up because I don't have the cable yet.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Will
    >>> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
    >>>

    >>> "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message