Clock up - performance down

Hi there.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (Sapphire Atlantis Lite Retail). When I try to
overclock it, I get less 3D Marks (2000, 2001 SE). The more I increase the
clock, the less Marks I get. The maximum I went is 420MHz (Core) and 380MHz
(Memory). When I try to push it further up, extreme graphical curruption
appears. According to reviews of this card, it should be "overclocking
friendly"; other people seem to use 480MHz/440Mhz (Core/Mem) with the stock
cooler/fan without problems.

I'm using RadLinker v2.030 to do the OCing. The default speed for this card
is 378MHz for the core and 337.5 MHz for the memory. My mainboard has 4x
AGP support (it lacks 8x; I don't know if that matters much). I have "AGP
Fast Writes" disabled (as is recommened by overclocking related FAQs). In
case it matters: my CPU is a Celeron D 2.40GHz (slightly OCed at 2.60GHz),
and DDR memory rated for 133MHz (266 DDR). The FSB runs at 145MHz. I tried
setting the FSB back to 133, but things didn't get better; OCing the ATI
still slows it down.

Any explanation?

(On a similar topic, are there coolers and fans for this card that are able
to measure its current temperature? This would sort of "mod" this card to a
9800 XT; would ATI's "Overdrive" feature work with this card then?)

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Nikos Chantziaras" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi there.
>
> I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (Sapphire Atlantis Lite Retail). When I try to
> overclock it, I get less 3D Marks (2000, 2001 SE). The more I increase
> the
> clock, the less Marks I get. The maximum I went is 420MHz (Core) and
> 380MHz
> (Memory). When I try to push it further up, extreme graphical curruption
> appears. According to reviews of this card, it should be "overclocking
> friendly"; other people seem to use 480MHz/440Mhz (Core/Mem) with the
> stock
> cooler/fan without problems.

People are saying they can run 480Mhz core / 440 memory on a Sapphire
Atlantis 9800 Pro with OEM cooler/fan? That's more than pretty unlikely.
Part of your issue is that 2000 and 2001SE seem to have this "feature" that
when you run them the first time after a normal boot, they report much
higher than normal numbers. When you retest the 2nd and 3rd time without
rebooting, lower results are obtained. Example: I run an ATI 9800 Pro 128Mb
on a Barton 3200 with 1 gig dual channel. At stock clockings, first run in
2001SE is 17,210. The next three runs are all in the 16,850-16,195 range. If
I run my 9800 Pro at XT spec (412core, 365memory) it gets 17,700 first run
and then all subsequent runs are in the 17,300 range. 3DMark03 is much more
consistent in this respect. No "first run" high score. At stock settings, I
get 5850 and 6100 at XT spec. In my well ventilated case, my 9800 Pro will
not run 3D games or 3D benches without locking up, kicking back to the
desktop, or artifacting when pushed any more than 9800XT specs.

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (Sapphire Atlantis Lite Retail). When I try
> to overclock it, I get less 3D Marks (2000, 2001 SE). The more I
> increase the clock, the less Marks I get. The maximum I went is
> 420MHz (Core) and 380MHz (Memory). When I try to push it further up,
> extreme graphical curruption appears. According to reviews of this
> card, it should be "overclocking friendly"; other people seem to use
> 480MHz/440Mhz (Core/Mem) with the stock cooler/fan without problems.

I can get 450MHz core and 360MHz memory.

To run at 440MHz memory, you effectively need 2.27ns memory, which is quite
a bit faster than the 2.86ns RAM usually fitted to these cards, which is
rated to 350MHz.

I doubt there are many people running thier memory at 440MHz.

Ben

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Nikos Chantziaras" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi there.
>
> I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (Sapphire Atlantis Lite Retail). When I try to
> overclock it, I get less 3D Marks (2000, 2001 SE). The more I increase
> the
> clock, the less Marks I get. The maximum I went is 420MHz (Core) and
> 380MHz
> (Memory). When I try to push it further up, extreme graphical curruption
> appears. According to reviews of this card, it should be "overclocking
> friendly"; other people seem to use 480MHz/440Mhz (Core/Mem) with the
> stock
> cooler/fan without problems.
>
> I'm using RadLinker v2.030 to do the OCing. The default speed for this
> card
> is 378MHz for the core and 337.5 MHz for the memory. My mainboard has 4x
> AGP support (it lacks 8x; I don't know if that matters much). I have "AGP
> Fast Writes" disabled (as is recommened by overclocking related FAQs). In
> case it matters: my CPU is a Celeron D 2.40GHz (slightly OCed at 2.60GHz),
> and DDR memory rated for 133MHz (266 DDR). The FSB runs at 145MHz. I
> tried
> setting the FSB back to 133, but things didn't get better; OCing the ATI
> still slows it down.
>
> Any explanation?
>
> (On a similar topic, are there coolers and fans for this card that are
> able
> to measure its current temperature? This would sort of "mod" this card to
> 9800 XT; would ATI's "Overdrive" feature work with this card then?)

Just a guess but I reckon a Celly 2.4 ghz would be a bottleneck
for a 9800pro so overclocking the card might not do much good.