artifacts or simply bad rendering???

I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps'
in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines),
and also some flashing black areas as well.

I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
ATI Tool to monitor while playing).

So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
I haven't had any similar problems with other games...

(im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp problem)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:29:07 +0000, ofn01 <netusr@internet.not> wrote:

>I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
>9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps'
>in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines),
>and also some flashing black areas as well.

I've seen someone else mention artifacting in Riddick on Radeon cards
but I played it on my 9800pro with no issues. Just finished the game
two days ago. It's quite a demanding game though and I wanted a smooth
experience so what I did was run it at 800x600res, turn the shaders
down to Radeon 8500 family of vid cards, turned off EAX because I only
use two speaker setup anyway, part way through the game I also turned
off self model shadows just because they were annoying me but that can
also increase performance. I had no artifacting and the gameplay was a
fairly smooth experience for me using my settings on a P4 3,0ghz,
R9800pro, 1gb DDR, Audigy2. If I was you I would try turning down the
shader settings and see if these issues you have go away.

jlc

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
>I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
>9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps' in
>the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines), and also
>some flashing black areas as well.
>
> I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
> about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using ATI
> Tool to monitor while playing).
>
> So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
> I haven't had any similar problems with other games...
>
> (im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp
> problem)

Don't worry about anything being wrong with your rig. It's a documented
problem with the game, especially the cut scenes. I've read a couple of
reviews that mention the problem. The Xbox version had the same issues, and
it wasn't fixed when they ported it. I have both versions of the game so
I've seen first hand that the problem is also in the Xbox game. It didn't
bother me much because the rest of the game PC game looked so damn cool!

ofn01 wrote:
> I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI
> Radeon 9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there
> are 'gaps' in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two
> lines),
> and also some flashing black areas as well.
>
> I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
> about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
> ATI Tool to monitor while playing).

Doesn't sound especially hot for this type of chip - they're usually rated
to 80-90°C

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:
> ofn01 wrote:
>
>>I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI
>>Radeon 9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there
>>are 'gaps' in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two
>>lines),
>>and also some flashing black areas as well.
>>
>>I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
>>about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
>>ATI Tool to monitor while playing).
>

> Doesn't sound especially hot for this type of chip - they're usually rated
> to 80-90°C
>
> Ben

Really - I thought the max was about 75?
Ive read a number of others' 9600XT temps being around 45 max (whereas
mine is almost that idle)

I would expect higher temps if I had a 9800 or an older 9600 but my
understanding was that the 9600XT was supposed to be a cooler chip?

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
>I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
>9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps' in
>the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines), and also
>some flashing black areas as well.
>
> I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
> about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using ATI
> Tool to monitor while playing).
>
> So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
> I haven't had any similar problems with other games...
>
> (im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp
> problem)

Probably bad rendering. I noticed some white between textures as well. I do
think they just did minimum to port the graphics from XBOX to PC. Except at
least the keyboard/mouse interface is good. I'd rather have some graphical
issues than control issues.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:37:28 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>Don't worry about anything being wrong with your rig. It's a documented
>problem with the game, especially the cut scenes. I've read a couple of
>reviews that mention the problem. The Xbox version had the same issues, and
>it wasn't fixed when they ported it. I have both versions of the game so
>I've seen first hand that the problem is also in the Xbox game. It didn't
>bother me much because the rest of the game PC game looked so damn cool!

Have any screenshots of these issues? I just started Riddick from the
beginning again and have yet to notice any of this artifacting.

shawk

ofn01 wrote:
> I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
> 9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps'
> in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines),
> and also some flashing black areas as well.
>
> I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
> about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
> ATI Tool to monitor while playing).
>
> So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
> I haven't had any similar problems with other games...
>
> (im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp problem)

Yeah, saw a few things like that with my 9800 Pro - I think it's the
game rather than the card. Played nice and smooth but some graphical
glitches. Ref Doom 3 search through google or try the Doom newsgroups
for tweaks for ATI cards. Worked well for me and I played the game with
high settings with no slowdowns. Didn't keep a copy of them though - sorry.

--
"I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour
before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine

"And you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't
believe ya"

I wouldnt worry about it - I also had some odditites in Riddick, too, with
both my 9800Pro and a Geforce6800-OC. I'm not sure if the game is a direct
port from a console, but if it is it explains it a lot.
If you want to really test your cards heat issues (if any), I'd suggest
Doom3 with decent settings. If it artifacts, then you might want to consider
more cooling or less overclocking if any.

Blaedmon wrote:
> I wouldnt worry about it - I also had some odditites in Riddick, too, with
> both my 9800Pro and a Geforce6800-OC. I'm not sure if the game is a direct
> port from a console, but if it is it explains it a lot.
> If you want to really test your cards heat issues (if any), I'd suggest
> Doom3 with decent settings. If it artifacts, then you might want to consider
> more cooling or less overclocking if any.

Cheers for the reply - ill also search around the web to see if anyone
else has had the same problems.

I only have the Doom3 demo and I find it a unique game on my system in
that it has 'micropauses' and real annoying stutters when people talk or
doors open. Ive tried a variety of settings and can't seem to fix those
issues so I hardly use it at all.

I played all the way through HL2 and while I did have some issues
sometimes when a lot of things were happening - it was nothing like the
Doom3 demo which did it very often even when not much was going on.

> "ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
>
>>I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
>>9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps'
>>in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines),
>>and also some flashing black areas as well.
>>
>>I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
>>about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
>>ATI Tool to monitor while playing).
>>
>>So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
>>I haven't had any similar problems with other games...
>>
>>(im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp
>
> problem)

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
> I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
> 9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps'
> in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines),
> and also some flashing black areas as well.
>
> I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
> about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
> ATI Tool to monitor while playing).
>
> So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
> I haven't had any similar problems with other games...
>
> (im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp
> problem)

all 9600 series cards only have 4 pipelines hogging the card (stuttering)
However, u can compensate a bit by having at least 1gig system ram (3200
DDR) and min. a 1800Mhz CPU (333FSB) or better. Doom 3 should run fine then.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0508-0, 21/02/2005
Tested on: 22/02/2005 1:12:54 PM

jlc

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:37:28 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Don't worry about anything being wrong with your rig. It's a documented
>>problem with the game, especially the cut scenes. I've read a couple of
>>reviews that mention the problem. The Xbox version had the same issues,
>>and
>>it wasn't fixed when they ported it. I have both versions of the game so
>>I've seen first hand that the problem is also in the Xbox game. It didn't
>>bother me much because the rest of the game PC game looked so damn cool!
>>
> Have any screenshots of these issues? I just started Riddick from the
> beginning again and have yet to notice any of this artifacting.

It's not really artifacts so much as textures not lining up properly. And
the only time it's really noticeable is in the cut scenes. And even then
it's not that big a deal. JLC

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:05:24 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>It's not really artifacts so much as textures not lining up properly. And
>the only time it's really noticeable is in the cut scenes. And even then
>it's not that big a deal. JLC

Oh well, I certainly never noticed it and I don't really want to play
this game through a second time again right now so I deleted all 4+gb
of it last night anyway. Fun game but too short.

ofn01 <netusr@internet.not> wrote:
> I have Chronicles of Riddick escape from butchers bay and an ATI Radeon
> 9600XT. I notice that, particularly in the cut scenes, there are 'gaps'
> in the page filled in with black (like a bad join between two lines),
> and also some flashing black areas as well.

> I have not overclocked my Radeon but I think it does run hot (averages
> about 43 degrees idle and under load goes upto 65 degrees max - using
> ATI Tool to monitor while playing).

> So is this likely to be a heat problem or a game problem?
> I haven't had any similar problems with other games...

> (im getting an exhaust fan for my PC to try and help with the temp problem)

Can you post some screen shots for us?
--
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." --Bill Vaughan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )