Sign in with
Your question

Download speed decreased 95% after Windows 8 upgrade

Last response: in Windows 8
November 10, 2012 2:34:58 AM

I have Windows 7 on a separate partition on my machine so I can switch between the two easily. In Windows 7, I have download/upload speeds of about 25/7 Mbps. When I reboot and use Windows 8, I have down/up speeds of about 0.75/7 Mbps. Upload speeds don't seem to be affected, download speeds fluctuate between <1 Mbps and 3 Mbps, but never anywhere near my usual 25 Mbps.

Knowing that I have the exact same hardware in each instance, I assume this must be a driver issue. I have an Acer Aspire 5736Z.

Steps I've Taken:
1. Downloaded the following drivers from here: http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/drivers
- Wireless LAN Atheros Wireless LAN Driver 9.0.0.202 9.2 MB 2010/09/06
- Wireless LAN Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver 5.100.249.2 23.1 MB 2010/09/06
- Lan Broadcom LAN Driver 14.0.1.0 135.5 MB 2010/09/06
2. Extracted them in my Downloads folder.
3. In Device Manager, selected each of the 3 devices under "Network adapters" one-by-one and tried to Update drivers by "Browse my computer for driver software" and pointing to the Downloads folder with the extracted drivers.
- Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
- Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet
- Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
4. Every time I get the message: "The best driver software for your device is already installed".
5. Tried Uninstalling the drivers but they update with whatever default drivers Windows 8 is getting faster than I can manually update them myself.

Side Note: Whenever I reformatted Windows 7 in the past, my network adapter drivers were never updated by default, so I always followed something similar to the above to install drivers. With Windows 8 my internet appeared to work right from the get go, but with terribly slow speeds.

Some others seem to have the same issues, but threads always seem to be resolved after downloading manufacturer drivers. Can anyone help or offer any suggestions?
a b \ Driver
a b * Windows 8
November 10, 2012 3:05:19 AM

use a 3 party tool and read the chipset of the network cards in the laptop or look under device id in the windows 7/8 driver. from there google the device name and windows 8 drivers.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 10, 2012 4:34:48 AM

NatalieP said:
I have Windows 7 on a separate partition on my machine so I can switch between the two easily. In Windows 7, I have download/upload speeds of about 25/7 Mbps. When I reboot and use Windows 8, I have down/up speeds of about 0.75/7 Mbps. Upload speeds don't seem to be affected, download speeds fluctuate between <1 Mbps and 3 Mbps, but never anywhere near my usual 25 Mbps.

Knowing that I have the exact same hardware in each instance, I assume this must be a driver issue. I have an Acer Aspire 5736Z.

Steps I've Taken:
1. Downloaded the following drivers from here: http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/drivers
- Wireless LAN Atheros Wireless LAN Driver 9.0.0.202 9.2 MB 2010/09/06
- Wireless LAN Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver 5.100.249.2 23.1 MB 2010/09/06
- Lan Broadcom LAN Driver 14.0.1.0 135.5 MB 2010/09/06
2. Extracted them in my Downloads folder.
3. In Device Manager, selected each of the 3 devices under "Network adapters" one-by-one and tried to Update drivers by "Browse my computer for driver software" and pointing to the Downloads folder with the extracted drivers.
- Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
- Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet
- Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
4. Every time I get the message: "The best driver software for your device is already installed".
5. Tried Uninstalling the drivers but they update with whatever default drivers Windows 8 is getting faster than I can manually update them myself.

Side Note: Whenever I reformatted Windows 7 in the past, my network adapter drivers were never updated by default, so I always followed something similar to the above to install drivers. With Windows 8 my internet appeared to work right from the get go, but with terribly slow speeds.

Some others seem to have the same issues, but threads always seem to be resolved after downloading manufacturer drivers. Can anyone help or offer any suggestions?

You need to turn off the auto install of detected hardware devices:

Open control panel, search for device installation settings
it is under the devices and printers. You will want to change
the selection to let you choose what to do about installing drivers.

When you are done you can turn it back on.

Get the device updated and check to see if you get better results. It would be really cool if you can use the same driver on both win 7 and win 8 on the same laptop.

If you do that and find a difference: run the following command
open cmd.exe as with administrative privileges.
run the command:
netsh.exe -c wlan ;this will just start the netshell command and switch to the wireless Local area network context

then type the command: show all ; this will just dump all the router announcements with their data and perceived signal strength

(type exit to quit the netsh.exe program)

You want to look at the perceived signal strength and see if both operating systems on the same machine and driver about the same reading for your router you are using.
I am guessing that the win8 signal strength with the default driver has lower signal strength indicator and a lower transmit rate is then selected.

EDIT: I looked up the machine: kind of looks like acer used 2005 era proprietary tech to boost their signals.
I think you windows 7 might have a acer version of the driver while the windows 8 has a generic version of the driver of the same chip. I would think that acer stopped updating their driver for this machine by now. Windows 8 detects the chip and installs the current non proprietary version of the driver. Leaves you with a choice, extra speed or several years of bug fixes.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2012 1:38:51 AM

johnbl said:
EDIT: I looked up the machine: kind of looks like acer used 2005 era proprietary tech to boost their signals.
I think you windows 7 might have a acer version of the driver while the windows 8 has a generic version of the driver of the same chip. I would think that acer stopped updating their driver for this machine by now. Windows 8 detects the chip and installs the current non proprietary version of the driver. Leaves you with a choice, extra speed or several years of bug fixes.

I tried your other suggestions and there was no difference unfortunately. I really appreciated this edit though. That's very likely the issue... Is there any chance you can point me to where you found that?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 11, 2012 3:39:32 AM

I looked at the spec for the machine you listed, looked at the network section
Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™

3 trademarks. that is bad news. CERTIFIED with a TM is marketing it does not mean certified as in a standard. anyway I looked up the branding and got
their marketing bull which indicate they ran 6 times faster than the standard

http://www.acer-group.com/public/News/2006/20060717.htm

a bunch of vendor did this in that era.
trademarks are pretty funny when you see how companies lie and mislead with them. Like "Certified Angus beef" tm is a brand name, it could be an old shoe and it is not unlawful to advertise that. consumers assume that certified angus beef comes from a angus breed of cow. Not if there is a TM after it. (at least thats the law in the USA)

m
l
December 2, 2012 2:36:23 PM

Hello-
Very similar problem.
Wireless down speed 0.86 up 6.37

Hardwire 30 mps down

Older HP laptop sitting next wifi 20 mps

Have updated drivers from Lenovo site. Lenovo B560 about 18 months old.

Started after Win8 upgrade.

Have searched for several hours.
No obvious solutions out there.

Any help appreciated.
m
l
December 5, 2012 1:19:14 AM

None of the above suggestions worked, but I did eventually find a solution.

Download the Windows 7 driver for your network adapter from your manufacturer's website.
Unzip the folder.
Right-click the setup executable.
Select "Troubleshoot Compatibility".
Click "Troubleshoot program"
Select "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows...", Next.
Select "Windows 7", Next.
Click "Start the program..." (Don't click Next until the driver installation wizard is done).

This should hopefully replace the default driver installed by Windows automatically (or if you have no driver then it should install one for you).

Hope this helps.
m
l
February 11, 2013 6:46:27 AM

NatalieP said:
None of the above suggestions worked, but I did eventually find a solution.

Download the Windows 7 driver for your network adapter from your manufacturer's website.
Unzip the folder.
Right-click the setup executable.
Select "Troubleshoot Compatibility".
Click "Troubleshoot program"
Select "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows...", Next.
Select "Windows 7", Next.
Click "Start the program..." (Don't click Next until the driver installation wizard is done).

This should hopefully replace the default driver installed by Windows automatically (or if you have no driver then it should install one for you).

Hope this helps.

this helped me exactly. thanks loads! :lol: 
m
l
!