Two Monitors for gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2005 11:16:45 PM

I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming. That
kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
practical in any way?

RT

More about : monitors gaming

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2005 11:20:19 PM

"RT" <someone@who.com> wrote in message
>I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>That
> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
> practical in any way?
>
> RT

The game has to support it, if not doesn't it stretch on frame across 2
screens?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2005 11:36:46 PM

Not that I know of. Apart from the odd flight sim I don't know anything
that does.

Civilian_Target

RT wrote:
> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming. That
> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
> practical in any way?
>
> RT
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 4, 2005 3:18:07 AM

kaydigi wrote:
> The game has to support it, if not doesn't it stretch on frame across 2
> screens?

Nope, if the game doesn't support it, one monitor will just be blank.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
February 4, 2005 4:33:45 AM

RT proclaimed...

> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming. That
> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
> practical in any way?

Only one game springs to mind which incorporated it and that was 'Wild
Metal Country' which was a tank game[1]

A trite game, rolling over hills and blowing your mates up. Nothing else
I'm aware of.

[1] WMC was a fantastic LAN game and me and some mates had some
hilarious moments playing that. If you get the chance. Check it out
multi

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"You are a clever imitation of life... Can a robot
write a symphony? Can a robot take a blank canvas and
turn it into a masterpiece?"
"Can you?"
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 4, 2005 10:03:30 AM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:16:45 GMT, "RT" <someone@who.com> wrote:

>I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming. That
>kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>practical in any way?
>
>RT

Surround gaming at Matrox lists quite a few games.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/surrgame.cfm
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 4, 2005 11:20:55 AM

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> schreef in bericht
> Not that I know of. Apart from the odd flight sim I don't know anything
> that does.

Well, I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein once with three monitors. It
probabley can work with two, but it won't be nice, since you aim would be on
the edge of the screen.

> Civilian_Target
>
> RT wrote:
>> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>> That
>> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>> practical in any way?
>>
>> RT
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 4, 2005 2:58:56 PM

"RT" <someone@who.com> wrote in message
> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
That
> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
> practical in any way?
>
> RT

two monitors are pretty much useless for most games. Especially shooters
like half-life. With two monitors, your targeting reticule and what you are
shooting at will be between the monitors where there is no display, not a
good thing. Matrox was on the right track with three monitors, it's just a
shame that the parhelia had no power for gaming.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

<Hanging.out@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:16:45 GMT, "RT" <someone@who.com> wrote:
>
>>I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>>That
>>kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>>practical in any way?
>>
>>RT
>>

> Surround gaming at Matrox lists quite a few games.
>
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/surrgame.cfm

as long as you have a parhelia gfx card.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 4, 2005 4:36:49 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:12:06 -0000, "Martin Pick"
<mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

><Hanging.out@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:16:45 GMT, "RT" <someone@who.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>>>That
>>>kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>>>practical in any way?
>>>
>>>RT
>>>

>> Surround gaming at Matrox lists quite a few games.
>>
>> http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/surrgame.cfm
>>
>as long as you have a parhelia gfx card.

Can't believe it only works with just this card.

Wouldn't it work with any multi-monitor system?
February 16, 2005 7:37:31 PM

On 2005-02-04, Strider <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:
> RT proclaimed...
>
>> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming. That
>> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>> practical in any way?
>
> Only one game springs to mind which incorporated it and that was 'Wild
> Metal Country' which was a tank game[1]
>
> A trite game, rolling over hills and blowing your mates up. Nothing else
> I'm aware of.
>
> [1] WMC was a fantastic LAN game and me and some mates had some
> hilarious moments playing that. If you get the chance. Check it out
> multi

I have WMC (got it free with my TNT2). It's a good game, kind of slow
and abstract.

How does it work with two monitors then?

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

On 2005-02-03, RT <someone@who.com> wrote:
> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming. That
> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
> practical in any way?

I played Unreal Tournament with two monitors. Make a window, drag it
across both screens.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

"Strider" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
> RT proclaimed...
>
>> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>> That
>> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>> practical in any way?
>
> Only one game springs to mind which incorporated it and that was 'Wild
> Metal Country' which was a tank game[1]
>
> A trite game, rolling over hills and blowing your mates up. Nothing else
> I'm aware of.
>
> [1] WMC was a fantastic LAN game and me and some mates had some
> hilarious moments playing that. If you get the chance. Check it out
> multi

Wow, not heard of that one in a while - I bought it for a fiver at
Toys'R'Us(eless) a few years back, and had a lot of fun with it, in a lonely
sort of way... (and guilty too - I should have been working)

But never tried it across a network - might have to do that, since I have a
network here at home - cheers!
February 16, 2005 8:22:27 PM

"Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-02-04, Strider <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:
>> RT proclaimed...
>>
>>> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>>> That
>>> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>>> practical in any way?
>>
>> Only one game springs to mind which incorporated it and that was 'Wild
>> Metal Country' which was a tank game[1]
>>
>> A trite game, rolling over hills and blowing your mates up. Nothing else
>> I'm aware of.
>>
>> [1] WMC was a fantastic LAN game and me and some mates had some
>> hilarious moments playing that. If you get the chance. Check it out
>> multi
>>

> I have WMC (got it free with my TNT2). It's a good game, kind of slow
> and abstract.
>
> How does it work with two monitors then?
>
> --
> Toby.
> FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars
> FT: 500 GBA SP Stars
February 16, 2005 8:22:54 PM

"Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-02-04, Strider <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:
>> RT proclaimed...
>>
>>> I will be moving to two 19"LCD's at work for GIS work and programming.
>>> That
>>> kinda started me thinking about gaming. Does anyone use two and is it
>>> practical in any way?
>>
>> Only one game springs to mind which incorporated it and that was 'Wild
>> Metal Country' which was a tank game[1]
>>
>> A trite game, rolling over hills and blowing your mates up. Nothing else
>> I'm aware of.
>>
>> [1] WMC was a fantastic LAN game and me and some mates had some
>> hilarious moments playing that. If you get the chance. Check it out
>> multi
>>

> I have WMC (got it free with my TNT2). It's a good game, kind of slow
> and abstract.
>
> How does it work with two monitors then?

I remember you could use two joysticks with it (one for each tank tread I
think)
February 17, 2005 12:13:27 AM

On 2005-02-16, Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote:
> "Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
>> On 2005-02-04, Strider <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:
>>> RT proclaimed...

>>> Only one game springs to mind which incorporated it and that was 'Wild
>>> Metal Country' which was a tank game[1]
>>>
>>> A trite game, rolling over hills and blowing your mates up. Nothing else
>>> I'm aware of.
>>>
>>> [1] WMC was a fantastic LAN game and me and some mates had some
>>> hilarious moments playing that. If you get the chance. Check it out
>>> multi
>>>

>> I have WMC (got it free with my TNT2). It's a good game, kind of slow
>> and abstract.
>>
>> How does it work with two monitors then?

Did you send without writing an answer?

Incidentally, look:
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/
You can download WMC for free!